Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

So, if it's Oz delivered, with service history, checks out ok but needs the big service, is it a $35k car after being zero'd service wise?

My view would be no, because you don't get to recoup service costs with cars...it's kind of a rule.  The price of admission to play in the German sports car space is doing the maintenance (although some choose not to play by the rules for their own warped reasons).  The people who think they can recoup servicing expenses are often, I suspect, the ones that ask megabucks for their cars and watch them sit in their garage getting tyre-kicked occasionally. 

These cars all need work and my experience is the 'getting to know you' service is usually $1-3k, depending upon the car - even if low mileage, relatively tidy and with a history.  Maybe factor in a small multiple for a late 928.

So let's say I have exactly the same car but 3 days ago it underwent the full monty; belts, water pump, etc etc WYIT stuff for $10k, you're telling me it's a $25k car just like the one that hasn't had all that done? HUH?

Edited by KGB

I say it's a $35k car +/-, take off that any maintenance that has not been done! If all maintenance done, then it does look the bargain...... if it is as below :)

So, if it's Oz delivered, with service history, checks out ok but needs the big service, is it a $35k car after being zero'd service wise?

Yes!

The 928 is a UK car showing ~ 80,000 miles. No books or records of when imported so no way to confirm the mileage. Some service history from new owner including ~$7000 for new heads, valves and coils. Timing belt done several year back.  One minor golf ball dent on car.  Described by owner as clean interior and undercarriage supporting the low mileage.

The owner seems like a nice friendly gent and happy to provide more info or photos to anyone interested. May be a good buy for someone.

The 928 is a UK car showing ~ 80,000 miles. No books or records of when imported so no way to confirm the mileage. Some service history from new owner including ~$7000 for new heads, valves and coils. Timing belt done several year back.  One minor golf ball dent on car.  Described by owner as clean interior and undercarriage supporting the low mileage.

The owner seems like a nice friendly gent and happy to provide more info or photos to anyone interested. May be a good buy for someone.

That is explains it all. Thanks :)

@Jason E one for you perhaps?

So, there are some stories after all :)

So let's say I have exactly the same car but 3 days ago it underwent the full monty; belts, water pump, etc etc WYIT stuff for $10k, you're telling me it's a $25k car just like the one that hasn't had all that done? HUH?

KGB, in those circumstances, I'd be just a little curious about why you were keen to flick it after the major expense and negotiating regardless, knowing I am a genuine buyer with ready funds (which is not necessarily something that can usually be assumed).  Of course, it depends on the car and no two are the same - but as a vendor, assuming you are going to recoup 100% of your maintenance outlay is ambitious and most people appreciate that (which is why so many vehicles are listed for sale with a laundry list of, often quite minor, but sometimes not, issues for rectification). 

Of course, the issues people disclose and the ones that exist often don't correlate and I usually take outstanding problems as being indicative of the overall approach to maintenance, deferred or otherwise.  If someone incurs major expense immediately prior to sale, that indicates to me that the work has potentially been delayed to the last possible moment (and perhaps the capacity to pay for maintenance has been an issue, hence the swift sale).

Just my personal approach - no offence intended to those that think otherwise.

anyone know this car??

only from a quick telephone discussion....