Show us your Motorcyle(s)

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Dalai said:

Opinions of the 1992 Suzuki GSX-R1100? Keen to get a bike that is old enough for club plates as would only be for occasional rides... Nice one of the above advertised locally.

From what I remember they were a damn quick bike in the day, If the the $ is right and you like it, Go for it:)

12 hours ago, Dalai said:

Opinions of the 1992 Suzuki GSX-R1100? Keen to get a bike that is old enough for club plates as would only be for occasional rides... Nice one of the above advertised locally.

If it is sound and at the right price there is absolutely no reason to avoid.  Just check the rear swing arm bearings including the suspension linkage and the rear shock itself.  If it still has the original shock it may need replacement depending on how determined you ride it.

I've recently bought an old Katana and have been pleasantly impressed with the parts availability and pricing using Mick Hone's online parts store.  It might be worth a look just to confirm what you are getting yourself into.

I think they have aged  pretty well, even the pinky-purple graphics have mellowed in my mind.  That old oil cooled engine will still impress I'm sure.  

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

If it is sound and at the right price there is absolutely no reason to avoid.  Just check the rear swing arm bearings including the suspension linkage and the rear shock itself.  If it still has the original shock it may need replacement depending on how determined you ride it.

I've recently bought an old Katana 

Correct re the swing arm bearings and shock 👍

And I hate you re the Katana. Pics please

@Dalai

They're a good bike and just seem to go forever, and as Pete mentioned, the rear shocks do leak when they're old, and the rear will sag a fair bit making them a horrible thing to ride, yet there are plenty of options for after market shocks. They were also the first year of water cooling for the GSXR model, and I vaguely remember there used to be some sort of issue with it, but can't remember what it was, sorry.

Like most early 90's GSXR's, they never felt quite right until you jacked the back up a bit or pulled the forks through the triple clamp a 10mm or so to get it steering a bit better in the hills, yet both mods can make them a bit unstable in a straight line when you're on the gas, and they'll weave a bit.

They seem to be getting very popular at the moment, so if it presents well and is reasonably priced, they're a solid bike. Think I saw one on Marketplace or Gumtree for around $6000, though I've no idea what it's like for the money

Thanks guys. This is the last of the oil cooled, blue and white tiger stripes and is $8800 on Bikesales in Vic. Nice list of recent work done.

Had been considering a new 1000cc sports bike, but rego insurance etc for a weekender seems excessive. So now considering something older to cruise. Don't know the bikes from that era hence the questions...

Can't go fast in Vic anymore so not needing a modern rocket!

Stunning Peter! Mate has a Katana and loves it!

The plan is to put some wire wheels on it and then eventually do a full resto which is really only a frame and engine repaint.

What I am also waiting for is this shitter to turn up in the coming weeks....

hWh4Mek.jpg

10 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Thanks guys. This is the last of the oil cooled, blue and white tiger stripes and is $8800 on Bikesales in Vic. Nice list of recent work done.

Nice! 👍

1992 Suzuki GSX-R1100 (1127cc) (bikesales.com.au)

It even has an Ohlins already! (Both my R's ended up with them too.)

I'd screw him for both the exhausts!

Good luck!

10 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Can't go fast in Vic anymore so not needing a modern rocket!

They're still plenty quick enough to get you locked up in Victoria mate. As I mentioned, sort out the suspension a bit with a reputable shop, as they were a bit of truck to throw around from my vague memory

Nice @Peter M Wire wheels are a must on a Kat in my opinion. 

27 minutes ago, tomo said:

If I recall they did have a wobble that appears at around the 55- 60 mph  , that can take you by surprise if not aware 🤔 

Like the older bikes, it usually stemmed from the swingarm bearings being knackered or loose. I know a few '85 to mid 90's GSXR racers that used to brace the frame just in front of the rear shock which helped with stability, the same as another mod they used to do by bracing the swingarm. Most old 70's and 80's GSX and Katana racebikes have braced frames and swingarms which wasn't just for show, as they rode like you had a hinge in the middle of the frame. I've witnessed some horrendous headshake/weaving when I've raced against post classic bikes, and if you back off, it gets ugly real quick 😅

Oh, and that's why Suzuki fitted steering dampers, but they were shit, so you fitted an aftermarket one that actually had adjustment

On 22/01/2022 at 11:00, Peter M said:

The plan is to put some wire wheels on it and then eventually do a full resto which is really only a frame and engine repaint.

What I am also waiting for is this shitter to turn up in the coming weeks....

hWh4Mek.jpg

Nice! 👍

1992 Suzuki GSX-R1100 (1127cc) (bikesales.com.au)

It even has an Ohlins already! (Both my R's ended up with them too.)

I'd screw him for both the exhausts!

Good luck!

Whatever you do Peter please leave it as an 82 . Too many of these were made into "pretend" wire wheel bikes which really devalues them . 

1 hour ago, Shedpest said:

82 SS?

Yep, very last production run.

17 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

Whatever you do Peter please leave it as an 82 . Too many of these were made into "pretend" wire wheel bikes which really devalues them . 

I agree, Bikesales is currently littered with pretenders.  Whilst my heart was set on a 750 Sport or single seat SS as my first bevel and I've spent the last 40 years thinking the early 80's ones as "has beens", I just wasn't comfortable with spending that amount coin as there are a few other things I want as well (Jag XJR and a Husky 701!).  The one I bought is pretty patinaed (read "crusty") but will tidy up OK to be a reliable rider.  However once the reality of clip-ons, Conti's and 70's suspension hit home I'll do a resto then. 

2 hours ago, wilson59 said:

Think Pete meant wire wheels for the Katana mate. 

7 hours ago, Peter M said:

Yep, the Katana is getting these eventually:

1LeG361.jpg

However finding some suitable Takasugo rims is proving harder than I expected, especially in the weird sizes of 19x1.85 and 18x2.5. 

Akront rims easier to source? Just a suggestion, but I'd go 18's front and rear personally Pete. It changed the handling of my 1000 Katana for the better, though that's if suitable tyres are still available of course

Ive had a few dirt bikes over the years from Yamaha TTR's to KTM 525's, currently on a Suzuki DRZ 400

Got this super original unrestored Deltek Buskwacker for sale at the moment, everything works perfectly on it after i replaced the fuel line... even has barn find dust on it

IMG-2088.jpg
IMG-2089.jpg
IMG-2090.jpg
IMG-2091.jpg
IMG-2092.jpg