Home built Hot Rod

MFX

I should hopefully finish off the paint this week, then it is the engine and reassembly. I will do the interior as I go, but I can use the old bits to get it on the road first :) 

For the interior, what more do you need other than pedals, steering, a seat and a set of ear plugs:D

For the interior, what more do you need other than pedals, steering, a seat and a set of ear plugs:D

Oh, and you also need seatbelts and/or harnesses ....

The list grows longer. this could become a "what have the Romans ever done for us" type of list!

Actually I am now looking at this car being a semi comfortable road car that does the odd track day. I also plan on having an interior that matches the quality of the exterior (meaning more dodgy home made stuff), so there is a fair bit to do ;) .

Mine all mine B)

2012B976-EA47-4009-B8CF-2CF9C0588A38_zps

I love the 32 GTR's. They are definitely on my 90's list (they barely qualify as 80's). I have always said I would have one over an R34 or R35. They are a beast, and they have the history.

Jeff you are an absolute legend! and you have exactly the same taste in cars as me.

I'm currently building a L28 powered Datsun 240z, and I've just recently acquired a project Porsche 912 (going down the 993 powered Porsche 911 ST route though). Then the next car on my list is the little Alfa and R32 GTR as well! My last one on my top 5 build-not-buy classics is a Lotus Elan S1. 

Jeff you are an absolute legend! and you have exactly the same taste in cars as me.

I'm currently building a L28 powered Datsun 240z, and I've just recently acquired a project Porsche 912 (going down the 993 powered Porsche 911 ST route though). Then the next car on my list is the little Alfa and R32 GTR as well! My last one on my top 5 build-not-buy classics is a Lotus Elan S1. 

I have always had a thing for the Lotus Esprit, and more recently the Elise, but I have never had any dealings with the Elan. I have owned a couple of turbo Skylines in the past, but the R32 is still one I have always liked. The problem I have with it is I am not sure what spot it would fit into for my ideal stable. I don't think I would use it as a daily, it is not as nice as the 911 for a weekend cruiser, and if it was for the track, that opens up a very deep, well trodden rabbit hole that I am not sure I want to venture down. 

What no S1 Matra wtf

A what?? Never afraid of pulling something out of left field ;)

Absolutely love the 105 Jeff (and the 240 for that matter). Can't wait to see what you do with all of them, what a garage you will have at the end.

I'm getting anxiety thinking about how much you have to do on not 1, not 2 but 3 project cars...! Best of luck, looking forward to following the story on all three!

Absolutely love the 105 Jeff (and the 240 for that matter). Can't wait to see what you do with all of them, what a garage you will have at the end.

I'm getting anxiety thinking about how much you have to do on not 1, not 2 but 3 project cars...! Best of luck, looking forward to following the story on all three!

Haha, you and me both. I am just looking forward to having 1 of them on the road, to enjoy. It is hard (and maybe a but stupid) to buy all of these rusty buckets of bits without even being able to enjoy it in a pre-resto condition for a while.

Jeff are you inclined to use a rust proofing material as well as the treatment you've applied? Any need to after the treatment?

I have rust treated everything along the way as I have come across it, to try to prevent it coming back. I am not sure how well it will hold up, only time will tell. Basically the exterior I am not really worried about, it is more the interior parts, which have rust treatment, but I am wondering wether it is worth while going back into those cavities again with POR15 or similar.

Well the exterior is all painted in a zinc based etch primer, then a high fill primer, followed by a 2 pack paint system, which should keep that neat and tidy, and inside the door cavities, I painted it all in a zinc based weld through primer first, followed by a enamel anti rust coat, so it should be good. I will have to have a good look in there when I put the window glass back in, to see how it is weathering up to now (it has been a few months now).

Under the guards etc, it has all been painted in a weld trough primer, then a stone guard, and then an underbody top coat, so that should be good. I don't want to have to go back through this all again in 12 months time ;) 

Jeff That black alfa you posted Is a Brissy car, I can put you in contact with the owner if you like?

Thanks mate. I am a fair way off of building the Alfa at this stage (I don't actually get it until the end of next week). I have to finish the 911 and then the 240Z before I can get stuck into the Alfa.

Thanks mate. I am a fair way off of building the Alfa at this stage (I don't actually get it until the end of next week). I have to finish the 911 and then the 240Z before I can get stuck into the Alfa.

There will be nothing left of it by then! Store it in a bath of oil!

There will be nothing left of it by then! Store it in a bath of oil!

Haha. I have heard that. I am going to have to store it outside under a car cover too. I just finished painting the 911 5 minutes ago, so I should be able to tear down the booth and fit the 240 in the garage. I just need to finish up the 911 so it can take over daily duties and I can park one of the newer cars out in the cold ;)