Home built Hot Rod

MFX

Buy run flat tires ..............:D

I have enough trouble finding any tyres to fit my rears, let alone run flats ;) 

Well this week I have spent a lot of time and it doesn't really feel like I have done very much, but I now have headlights, indicators and horn grills fitted to the car. It is actually starting to look like a car again :D 

Those rubbers are hours of fun ay Jeff? Literally! 

I bought OEM ones and had the same problem.

I ended up heating them up then glueing them in place. Only way they were staying on for me. Never again!

I may have to do just that, I was just hoping someone had a trick to make them sticky, but not glued solid.

I used that carpet/trim stuff in a spray can. You have to let it go tacky before fitting the rubbers.  Maybe Kwik Grip? Bastard of a job. Reckon I was seeing purple flying dragons whilst spraying the stuff, so maybe use a mask!

I just got a suggestion in the youtube comments to try hairspray. I think that may just do the trick. Either way it is worth a shot.

What's the legal situation of LED lights in an early car?

I am not sure, but I don't see it being a big issue. It is a straight swap replacement bulb, so I would say it is more legal than a projector. The only thing that I could see would may be an issue could be if the colour was too blue maybe??

AFAIK, you might run foul of various ADR46 requirements, although only if you meet plod on a bad night... 

I haven't read the ADR, but I suppose you would come a foul with pretty much anything other than completely standard.

I will make sure I set them up properly so that they are not pointing in the wrong direction at least ;)

As if cops pull Porsches over for headlight offences! If you're in a Nissan it's another story.

I'd guess by the time the car is done there would be dozens of illegalities to choose from.

Sweat it, not.

Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it either.  It'll be interesting to see the results.  Feedback from the interweb has been mixed with many being disappointed at the results - lack of focus being the main complaint.  The only ppl I'm aware of that got serious with LED tech for old Porsches is RPM Technik - https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/shop-product/lumetechnik-led-conversion/ - 1650 quid if you please :o

I eventually went with a set of Philips X-tremeVision +130 which are definitely an improvement on the standard fare.  I have some spares if you want to try them sometime...

Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it either.  It'll be interesting to see the results.  Feedback from the interweb has been mixed with many being disappointed at the results - lack of focus being the main complaint.  The only ppl I'm aware of that got serious with LED tech for old Porsches is RPM Technik - https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/shop-product/lumetechnik-led-conversion/ - 1650 quid if you please :o

I eventually went with a set of Philips X-tremeVision +130 which are definitely an improvement on the standard fare.  I have some spares if you want to try them sometime...

It could be worth doing some experimenting when the car is up and running, as I am sure a lot of people would like to see some comparisons. It would be good to cover in one of my videos.

Agree.  You could compare standard, Philips Xtreme, LED and possibly HID.

I have seen a few comparison pics but poorly done - generally just illuminating the garage door.  IMHO it would be good to do a consistent night drive on a carefully selected road and show the videos side by side.

I have seen a few comparison pics but poorly done - generally just illuminating the garage door.  IMHO it would be good to do a consistent night drive on a carefully selected road and show the videos side by side.

watching with interest.... Just saying.

watching with interest.... Just saying.

Now I need to get the car running so I can film this whole thing ?

Hey Jeff, for what it's worth in case you are thinking of fitting LED globes into standard housings... I fitted some LED globes into my Navara last week (just as an experiment to improve the poor standard low beam). They were 80watt each and of the fan cooled variety. There were 3 main issues I ran into:

1. On low beam they were so damn bright that it was probably 3X what my halogen high beams were and in no way suitable for driving in built up areas.

2. With extra heat generated the cooling fans at the back must not be obstructed so I couldn't re-fit the rubber dust caps that fit over a standard bulb and as such dust could make it's way freely into the light housing.

3. They ran so hot that after an initial run of about 5-7 minutes I could see heat damage on the inside of the reflector. I'd imagine if I'd gone for a longer drive I might have completely melted the reflector.

Needless to say I am now back using 60/55w halogens. Just my $0.02.

Edited by Whytar

Hey just adding on what Whytar has said I have a 2000 Isuzu Ute with H4 headlights and I run these in it H4 100W/90W 12V Xenon White 5000K,,,they work great much better than the standard globes ...........:D

I often get other motorists flashing me as if I have my Highbeam on ,,,,but don,t the white light really works well 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331320217524?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by Raven

Thanks guys. That is good to know, particularly with the heat. The ones I have bought, don't have fans, but they have heat sinks on the back of them and although they fit into the fibreglass buckets of my front guards, they are a tight fit. It sounds like I may run the risk of the fibreglass front guards catching fire and burning my car to the ground. Now I definitely have to do the comparisons, even if I am just warning people off of the LED's. 

I do find it odd though, that the LED's are SOOO bright and run SOOO hot... You would think if they just made a nice brightness, they would be cooler and a perfect repalcement...

I do find it odd though, that the LED's are SOOO bright and run SOOO hot... You would think if they just made a nice brightness, they would be cooler and a perfect repalcement...

But they're LED not incandescent!! What's with the HEAT... I mean SOOO hot!! Are car headlights diff to home lighting..? Excuse the slight naivety here....

People think LED's dont generate a lot of heat, but they do. Simple physics. Lots of brightness = lots of heat.

My suggestion if you wanted to persevere with LED's is go for a lower wattage (like 25-30 watts). The 80 watts globes I fitted were just too much for urban driving.