Home built Hot Rod

MFX

Funny thing is, I am looking at how to remove most of the sound deadening from my car. Having lived with a car for 12 years that had only the engine bay sound pad and a layer of carpet and no other soundproofing, I want that back. It's not for everybody, but it makes driving the car an "occasion" every time and yes, I did use it as a daily drive. Also, I m not sure I would listen to those who say don't worry about the weight. It's not about times. it is about how the car feels and it isn't in acceleration. The inertia of 25kgs changes handling. I know I can feel it as the weight transfers on both braking and cornering. Make your own mind up. You may feel it, you may not. It could all be psychological, but that doesn't matter. It could even be that it makes zero difference but you prefer the sound of the car without it on the track. 

Stripped out cars are a very different situation because of the way sound bounces off the bare metal, effectively creating an echo which multiplies the noise.. Even a thin layer of carpet and a glued in head liner transforms a car. 

Was your friend a newly wed? For most, not being able to hear the wife would be an added bonus:D

As my commute is 40 mins sitting on the freeway at a constant 110 (ish), the drone will be what gets to me. I want to hear the exhaust, but I don't want the drone.

I will still give the removable sections a go, just because I can. If it ends up sliding around too much and annoying me, I will just tape it down. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am using 2 pack. You need to have good ventilation, and the correct mask, etc, but 2 pack is easier to paint and gives a much better finish than acrylic. I would go 2 pack every time.

Jeff,

What 2 pack system are you using? 

I'd like to paint some wheels but my usual 1 pack acrylic wont give me the gloss straight off the gun that I need. 

I apologise if you have already posted details!

Thanks

Peter

Jeff,

What 2 pack system are you using? 

I'd like to paint some wheels but my usual 1 pack acrylic wont give me the gloss straight off the gun that I need. 

I apologise if you have already posted details!

Thanks

Peter

I can't remember the brand off hand, but it doesn't really matter. Head to an Automotive paint supplier and get a kit (clear and hardener). Any 2 pack is glossier off the gun and in my opinion easier to paint than acrylic. Just make sure of course, you switch everything over. So the colour needs to be 2 pack base coat and you will need base coat reducer, and 2k thinners for the clear (although you only need a dash). 2k clears are basically thin enough straight away, where acrylic need a lot of thinners.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I wanted the nice classic/natural style leather (and it smells awesome!).

And the bold purple tartan, noice one! I've been looking at some black/red tartan but can't seem to find the right design and the fabric finish/feel is important.... how did you select and buy yours? I found one I liked the look of but then found out its a tough polyester/cotton finish feel...so its hard wearing I guess. I wanted a softer feel.

And the bold purple tartan, noice one! I've been looking at some black/red tartan but can't seem to find the right design and the fabric finish/feel is important.... how did you select and buy yours? I found one I liked the look of but then found out its a tough polyester/cotton finish feel...so its hard wearing I guess. I wanted a softer feel.

Don't wear your chaps while driving and you won't feel the difference :ph34r:

Wheres the Tour de Jeff video?

Haha, you obviously aren't subscribed to my youTube channel ;P

I tried all over the place to get it. I went to a website, I think it was the scottish weaver or something like that, but they didn't get back to me. In the end I found it on ebay. It is a light and soft to touch (can't remember what it is made of), but I do worry it is not as hard wearing as I really wanted. It will do the job though.

Haha, you obviously aren't subscribed to my youTube channel ;P

Hi Jeff, great youtube channel. Subscriber (and commentor) for a long time

Kendals white 1978 SC @ 1.23 .. is he a PFA member by any chance.. and was it a car from Perth? 

Hey Jeff, what glues have you been using for your trimming?

I have mostly been just using spray adhesive (3M from memory) and the clear waterbased Kwik Grip. Both from Bunnings. They seem to work pretty well. I got another can of spray adhesive from the upholstery shop ("proper stuff") and I don't like it as much.

Hi Jeff, great youtube channel. Subscriber (and commentor) for a long time

Kendals white 1978 SC @ 1.23 .. is he a PFA member by any chance.. and was it a car from Perth? 

Kendal is Spannerhead on the forum I think, but he is not on here much. From memory I think that car was bought from Perth last year.

This week I have been tidying up the door trims and making my own version of RS door pulls. The biggest challenge was the smallest bits. Making the trim bezels for around the pulls.

Nice work on the door pulls and surrounds Jeff! Don't forget you'll need the extra plastic flap mounted above the door pull to the inside of the door in addition to the full door seal to prevent the door pulls getting soaked in rain or when you wash the car.

Nice work on the door pulls and surrounds Jeff! Don't forget you'll need the extra plastic flap mounted above the door pull to the inside of the door in addition to the full door seal to prevent the door pulls getting soaked in rain or when you wash the car.

You are the second one to mention that. I suppose I better work out something :)