Home built Hot Rod

MFX

I just got a hideaway antenna for my 1964 Porsche 356.  Am getting stations about an hour away so I am pretty happy with that.

I have been looking them up. There are a heap on ebay, I just want something that will work as I listen to Sydney radio up here, but I am right at the limit of reception.

He did what most off us do when the windscreen will not go in ............you call a windscreen guy :P   Nice work on the trunk Jeff love that cover you made looks very Singer like clean and simple :D

Hey!  What about the windscreen?  You snuck that in without saying anything...  Too painful to relate?

Well done anyway!

No, I just cleaned it as I got the sh!ts with it being filthy. It is still the cracked one in there though. I will do something soon, just procrastinating with my LA trip looming.

Nice write up on you in the latest Total 911 mag from the UK!!

Here it is

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 5.37.26 pm.png

I have looked at a few newsagents now, and that issue is still not in stock yet. I will keep my eye out.

No, I just cleaned it as I got the sh!ts with it being filthy. It is still the cracked one in there though. I will do something soon, just procrastinating with my LA trip looming.

now you can buy heated screen and integral  antennae... but I am perplexed by air cooled and radio functionality

I have just arrived back home after a very packed, amazing week in Los Angeles. I spent the bulk of the time at Performance Developments, where Neil, in the spirit of my build, got me on the tools so I could do a lot of my own machining. 
His knowledge is amazing, after spending 12+ years working in the Brabham Formula 1 team building engines, leading to 2 world Championships. Then moving on to Andial (the predecessor to Porsche Motorsport in the US), and TRD. 
I have learned so much, in one week, and have gained a much better understanding of what good engine machining and building entails.
Here is my video of the week. It is a bit longer than usual, but I just had so much to cover.

Fantastic vid Jeff.  Quite jealous that you've been able to be hands-on with all that machinery!  Looking forward to seeing you put it all together.

Cheers, Rob

I am really starting to look forward to it as well. There is a fair bit still to organise and get done yet, so the assembly is still a little while off. Should be fun.

Awesome Video Mate really happy that performance developments an your self were able to save the heads and case ,,,,,,,,,,good to see your use of tapered rods and high skirt pistons ,,,your really going to have good fun lively little engine there ,,,,great to see it coming together ..

Awesome Video Mate really happy that performance developments an your self were able to save the heads and case ,,,,,,,,,,good to see your use of tapered rods and high skirt pistons ,,,your really going to have good fun lively little engine there ,,,,great to see it coming together ..

I am so lucky to be able to use Neil's wealth of knowledge. It is amazing, and applying some of those little features are going to really move this along. 

One of the things I cut out of the video (it was just getting too long and complicated) is that with the rod, he is also offsetting the bushing so that the rod is a couple of mm longer and also offsetting the pin from centre, all to help keep the piston straighter and in turn having less friction. As he said many times. He comes from a world where they are chasing that extra half an hp, so every little bit adds up.