Home built Hot Rod

MFX

Fantastic vid Jeff.  Quite jealous that you've been able to be hands-on with all that machinery!  Looking forward to seeing you put it all together.

Cheers, Rob

Great video Jeff, you could give the firey job the flic & become a video producer.

Does this give you some ideas Rob on upgrading & modernising a 951 motor?

Great video Jeff, you could give the firey job the flic & become a video producer.

Does this give you some ideas Rob on upgrading & modernising a 951 motor?

Actually Neil built a very trick 2.5 951 engine for Patrick Garvan here in Sydney which apparently made over 500hp at the wheels! 

please tell more... 

I don't know all of the details, but I know he made new adjustable cam timing gears, and it ran a new timing belt that drove both of the cams instead of one. It also had the reinforcing plate that filled in around the base of the cylinders (can't remember what that is called).

Here is a build thread of his on Pelican.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/831299-world-time-attack-challenge-944-turbo.html

Haha - I'm not likely to be going into my Fitzgerald-built 40,000km, $23k motor any time soon;).  As it is, this one would get me onto the front page of the paper with no effort...

Rob

Did the previous owner get the work by Fitzgeralds? Sounds, $ 23k,  like it was re built to more than stock specs. Can you tell us a little more about your motor work?

I still have to edit it all. I will do a video for 'Luftgekhult' and another one for 'A day at the track with Jack Olsen' ;) 

can't wait to see. Luft5 is on my todo list. 

Funny how Jack was left to park with the common folk. Clearly not as good looking or as famous as you mate but still..

Rob

Did the previous owner get the work by Fitzgeralds? Sounds, $ 23k,  like it was re built to more than stock specs. Can you tell us a little more about your motor work?

Build spec is pretty-well standard, but with things like Raceware conrod bolts, new Mahle pistons & rings, bearings, valves, springs, collets, guides, conrod bushes, hydraulic lifters, engine balance and clutch, there wasn't much that wasn't replaced.  The PO told me "It was built to be a STRONG engine".

Funny how Jack was left to park with the common folk. Clearly not as good looking or as famous as you mate but still..

Haha, they wanted Jack in there, but he had to be able to get home for babysitting duties on the day. Everyone knows Jack, although he did introduce me to heaps of people which was great.  It was funny, 99.99% of people had no idea who I was, but the 0.01% who recognised me from my stupid videos, were really great and stopped and chatted.

Reckon I just watched a short video on Stalkbook with you in Jack's car

Probably. Did he post it up? He had to get away early, so all of his time out on the track last week was with me in the car :D 

I have to say, damn that thing can hold some corner speed! The first time we went out, straight out of the pits cold tyres, first session, and the violence in which he threw it into the corner and it just stuck! He monstered everything out there, including a 458 Speciale. The next closest car, was an MX5 with a big V8, with active rear aero, and big dollars spent (and he had stickier tyres) and he was still a few seconds slower than Jack with me in the car....

@mfx, @turbot, what's the go on the luftgekhult thing...? (Sorry to hijack the thread)

can you just walk in and look around?

i think I'm putting it my todo next year (or so) too...!! 

@mfx, @turbot, what's the go on the luftgekhult thing...? (Sorry to hijack the thread)

can you just walk in and look around?

i think I'm putting it my todo next year (or so) too...!! 

Luftgekhult was overwhelming. The sheer scale of it was mind blowing. There were over 800 aircooled Porsche's. Essentially it is just a car show, so you pay your $20 entry and off you go. Most of the outside stuff was your regular car show with a few more thought out displays around. Like 3 356 pre A's up on a ledge. Inside was the more special cars. Of course there were the race cars like a 917 and a 934. Along with some old cars like a 550Spyder and the Le Mans winning 356. 

There was also a perfect line of 5 white RS's. Starting with an early 911R, 73' RS, '74 RS, 964 3.8'RS, and a 993' RS. 

They had a couple of Singer's there as well as Robs own old 911. I must admit the Singer's were gorgeous, and everything was beautifully done. I can see why they charge what they do, but even if I could afford one, I don't see the value in spending that money. 

Probably. Did he post it up? He had to get away early, so all of his time out on the track last week was with me in the car :D 

I have to say, damn that thing can hold some corner speed! The first time we went out, straight out of the pits cold tyres, first session, and the violence in which he threw it into the corner and it just stuck! He monstered everything out there, including a 458 Speciale. The next closest car, was an MX5 with a big V8, with active rear aero, and big dollars spent (and he had stickier tyres) and he was still a few seconds slower than Jack with me in the car....

saw you in the vid today. Looked fun. You considering a respray after sitting in the black beast? Please tell me you visited the famous garage??

saw you in the vid today. Looked fun. You considering a respray after sitting in the black beast? Please tell me you visited the famous garage??

I didn't have time to get to the garage, but Mrs Jeff and myself are heading back over in July and we plan to catch up then. I still need to see the garage ;) 

I feel ashamed at how messy mine is and I have more than double the space he has.... :unsure:

As for the black. The photo's of when it was first done looked amazing, but his paint is trashed now (a bit like another black 911 after a trip to Tassie). He did mention that was the last track day before it gets resprayed.

I didn't have time to get to the garage, but Mrs Jeff and myself are heading back over in July and we plan to catch up then. I still need to see the garage ;) 

I feel ashamed at how messy mine is and I have more than double the space he has.... :unsure:

As for the black. The photo's of when it was first done looked amazing, but his paint is trashed now (a bit like another black 911 after a trip to Tassie). He did mention that was the last track day before it gets resprayed.

dont be creating a garage queen. We  all hope you actually drive it like the paint dont matter sometime soon

IMG_9164_zpst8lglcur.jpg