Home built Hot Rod

MFX

Just watched your latest "we have seats" episode and a couple of things...no you don't need the expansion tank. Mine has been bypassed and removed.

The other thing that may be worth considering, before you put your dash together, is cabin ventilation. You can see the side dash vents are very small. Porsche upgraded these in later models, but I think they moved the glovebox to fit the larger vent on your side (passengers side). :lol:

Just a thought.

Last weeks efforts of putting the headliner in didn't go too well in the end and half of it started coming away as I didn't ahve enough clips. So this week I gave it another go and it looks much better. Then I played with my washer bottle and shoved some seats in the car.

Here is the vid.

Just watched your latest "we have seats" episode and a couple of things...no you don't need the expansion tank. Mine has been bypassed and removed.

The other thing that may be worth considering, before you put your dash together, is cabin ventilation. You can see the side dash vents are very small. Porsche upgraded these in later models, but I think they moved the glovebox to fit the larger vent on your side (passengers side). :lol:

Just a thought.

Great to know about the expansion tank. Is it's intended purpose as I thought, to relieve pressure in the tank. Can I just loop the inlet and outlet together?

As for the dash I think I will do just that. I still have to work out how I will trim that centre panel and I think building some bigger vents is a must (ever if I don't have A/C).

Windscreen washer system(s).  

Early type,i.e. essentially yours,

911_1983_9_04_904-15_zpsbnvimltg.jpg

and apparently there is an error in the flow diagram, so this a corrected version

VisioWindshieldWasherSystem11345158912_z

Later model with headlight washers

WasherSystem2JPG11315991211168891665_zps

Hope this helps, cos it just opened a can of worms on mine……damn POs

Edited by OZ930

Windscreen washer system(s).  

Early type,i.e. essentially yours,

911_1983_9_04_904-15_zpsbnvimltg.jpg

and apparently there is an error in the flow diagram, so this a corrected version

VisioWindshieldWasherSystem11345158912_z

Later model with headlight washers

WasherSystem2JPG11315991211168891665_zps

Hope this helps, cos it just opened a can of worms on mine……damn POs

That looks far more complicated that I am going for. It is good it has redundancy built in incase the washer jets are blocked, but for my needs, that is a bit of overkill ;)

I do have a one way valve on it's way from ebay, which I never thought about until it was brought to my attention. It would work without it, but it would take ages every time getting the water through the entire length of the hose each time you wanted to use it.

Lucky for me I am not hung up on originality ;)

Ah, the tee with the restricted leg towards the tank trick!

I've been pondering how all that worked for years!  Thanks Brian, I'll sleep soundly tonight.

Hope so, because I'm not coming round to read you a bed time story and tuck you in. :P

Edited by OZ930

Another great episode Jeff (and Mrs Jeff!).  Watching the under-dash work reminded me that working under there is my least favourite location for car fettling.  When I've had a session under-dash, I feel like someone's been hitting me all over with a pick handle, and no-one likes that!  Hopefully you're more resilient than me and you're good for more than collapsing onto the lounge afterwards.  The engine build will be a welcome diversion once you get around to it.

Another great episode Jeff (and Mrs Jeff!).  Watching the under-dash work reminded me that working under there is my least favourite location for car fettling.  When I've had a session under-dash, I feel like someone's been hitting me all over with a pick handle, and no-one likes that!  Hopefully you're more resilient than me and you're good for more than collapsing onto the lounge afterwards.  The engine build will be a welcome diversion once you get around to it.

Yeah it is a pain to work on your back in the foot well, but it is handy having the smugglers box to sneak in from the back. I am starting on the sound deadening today so we will see how that goes. 

I have been busy doing my research on sound deadening. I had always had the idea of smothering everything in Dynamat and call it a day. After looking into it more it seems there is more to it than that, if you actually want the cabin a nice place to be. In this episode I go into detail about how to correctly sound insulate the car.

Edited by MFX

Well done Jeff but seriously how much does that 0.25 of a second count at the track that means you've got to remove the sound deadening?! Each to their own.

Well done on the research BTW. I sort of deal with acoustics at work and you're spot on. Gaps are the enemy, mass is your friend, as well as isolation. Most efficient way to propagate sound is through a solid, rigid structure so the closed cell foam matting de-couples the mass loaded vinyl from the steel structure.

I've never really found a 911 too loud as it all goes on behind you, but again each to their own and as usual your work is immaculate. Congrats.

Well done Jeff but seriously how much does that 0.25 of a second count at the track that means you've got to remove the sound deadening?! Each to their own.

Well done on the research BTW. I sort of deal with acoustics at work and you're spot on. Gaps are the enemy, mass is your friend, as well as isolation. Most efficient way to propagate sound is through a solid, rigid structure so the closed cell foam matting de-couples the mass loaded vinyl from the steel structure.

I've never really found a 911 too loud as it all goes on behind you, but again each to their own and as usual your work is immaculate. Congrats.

I have had a couple of comments along those line (how much time saved by the weight reduction). It is definitely something for me to think about. I plan on using this as a daily driver and I want it to be comfortable, and if it ends up being too much of a pain in the a$$ I will just stick it all down and leave it. That is something I can look at later.

A mate of mine in the UK with a stripped out 911 has to wear rally car head sets so he and his wife can hear each other. 

Edited by MFX

Funny thing is, I am looking at how to remove most of the sound deadening from my car. Having lived with a car for 12 years that had only the engine bay sound pad and a layer of carpet and no other soundproofing, I want that back. It's not for everybody, but it makes driving the car an "occasion" every time and yes, I did use it as a daily drive. Also, I m not sure I would listen to those who say don't worry about the weight. It's not about times. it is about how the car feels and it isn't in acceleration. The inertia of 25kgs changes handling. I know I can feel it as the weight transfers on both braking and cornering. Make your own mind up. You may feel it, you may not. It could all be psychological, but that doesn't matter. It could even be that it makes zero difference but you prefer the sound of the car without it on the track. 

A mate of mine in the UK with a stripped out 911 has to wear rally car head sets so he and his wife can hear each other. 

Stripped out cars are a very different situation because of the way sound bounces off the bare metal, effectively creating an echo which multiplies the noise.. Even a thin layer of carpet and a glued in head liner transforms a car. 

Was your friend a newly wed? For most, not being able to hear the wife would be an added bonus:D