Home built Hot Rod

MFX

Jeff

Slightly off-topic, but I noticed your use of air tools and was wondering what compressor you are using.  Going to replace my Black Ridge cheapie soon and want something with a bit of grunt...

I have had this compressor for probably 15 years now. At the time I just looked for the biggest thing that would still work on a standard 10A plug. Using air tools constantly it will be working hard, but it has just enough oomf to keep up with spray painting. What I can suggest is that I wanted a belt driven compressor, as the little direct drive ones, don't seem to have enough puff.

Nice, thanks for keeping me in the loop, but unfortunately can't be turbo either :(. Not even sure if I will still qualify for some of the Targa events, but that will definitely disqualify me.

isn't is the turbo added on that makes it a turbo?  - always assumed the engine was the same. probably wrong through

isn't is the turbo added on that makes it a turbo?  - always assumed the engine was the same. probably wrong through

Not too sure about Porsche engines, but most turbo engines have lower compression and different cam profiles etc. If you took the turbo off of most turbo engines I have had experience with they are pretty gutless.

Just binge watched all your episodes. Fantastic. I know who to call when I get on to the front glasswork on my car! :P:lol:

Haha, I am far from an expert. Just, stubborn and persistant ;)

Jeff - firstly, episode 12 of Project Binky just hit the web, so have a rest and go and watch it.  Best 27 minutes of the day...

Secondly, nice job on the tube bender, but I'm assuming you'll be using the car in competition (Targa aspirations?).  Just concerned that CAMS might require a complianced roll cage, so might be an idea to check before you expend too much energy and $$.

Jeff - firstly, episode 12 of Project Binky just hit the web, so have a rest and go and watch it.  Best 27 minutes of the day...

Secondly, nice job on the tube bender, but I'm assuming you'll be using the car in competition (Targa aspirations?).  Just concerned that CAMS might require a complianced roll cage, so might be an idea to check before you expend too much energy and $$.

Yes, they do. Depending on the category, but that is what I have been working towards. I have downloaded the CAMS spec sheets, so everything I am doing is to CAMS specs, including tube dies and construction. Firstly I am just making a half cage anyway, and I will add to it later as needed. CAMS states that is can still be bolt-in, so I should be good. 

Just watched Project Binky. More fantastic work by those guys. Absolutely awesome.

Jeff you might as well make two cages 

I have actually been thinking that would be the way to go. Build a half cage for the street and a full cage for Targas, etc. Main reason being, that to attach the front bars to the main hoop, the only acceptable methods (for CAMS) requires pieces sticking out from the main hoop which would be nasty and dangerous if only the rear was fitted on the street. 

Either way we will see how the half cage goes first. I spent most of this afternoon bending up the main hoop, and I was getting the shits with the bloody jack in the bender cause it has lost power. I have tried releasing the air pockets inside, but tomorrow I will go and get some more hydraulic fluid to get it working properly. I only have one last small bend to do anyway, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Edited by MFX

I'm likely heading your way in a week,  with time will see if feasible to drop by.

Btw I was talking cages with a fabricator a few weeks back and there is a curious loophole that allows a full caged car to get (relatively) easy rego If the cage is incorporated through the interior trim/upholstery. 

Edited by michel

Let me know when you are near by. That is very interesting about the cage. Worth looking at in the future, as I plan on trying to get it registered with the old interior, and then do the new interior as I go, so the car doesn't have to sit off the road.

I spent most of this afternoon bending up the main hoop, and I was getting the shits with the bloody jack in the bender cause it has lost power. I have tried releasing the air pockets inside, but tomorrow I will go and get some more hydraulic fluid to get it working properly. I only have one last small bend to do anyway, so it shouldn't be too bad.

A brief read of the CAMS safety cage regs. reveals a concern about weld quality and use of approved cage builders.  Before you dive in with the MIG perhaps speak with a CAMS approved fabricator about getting them to weld it for you.  It might save you a lot of time and cost. 

A brief read of the CAMS safety cage regs. reveals a concern about weld quality and use of approved cage builders.  Before you dive in with the MIG perhaps speak with a CAMS approved fabricator about getting them to weld it for you.  It might save you a lot of time and cost. 

I have read that, and they do state: "...Welding shall be carried out along the whole perimeter of each tube joint and shall be of the highest possible quality with full penetration, preferably using a gasshielded arc. Although good external appearance of a weld does not necessarily guarantee its quality, a weld of poor  appearance may indicate that it is unsatisfactory..." 

I am going to be doing quite a bit of practice doing those exact type of welds first, so I can get them right. If they are not acceptable, it looks like this half cage is going to be a practice run anyway, so if I needed to I know a good professional welder I can get to do them ;) (but that wouldn't really fit with my OCD to do every single thing myself...).