Home built Hot Rod

MFX

I'm likely heading your way in a week,  with time will see if feasible to drop by.

Btw I was talking cages with a fabricator a few weeks back and there is a curious loophole that allows a full caged car to get (relatively) easy rego If the cage is incorporated through the interior trim/upholstery. 

Likely different in Vic but I have a non-Pcar with full tower to tower weld in cromoly cage and full road rego. It does go through the dash and firewall but I think it has more to do with who you know than how it's done. 

I don't know anything for certain, about what is legal and what is not. I am just going off of what I have heard for years (could all be rumor) that you can't have a full cage in a road registered car. For the reasons that Rob^ mentioned. That said once a car is registered, it is easy to get rego renewal, as long as you don't get defected, and even then...

Same in SA I believe. Theyre frowned upon, yet you can have full harness belts. You can only fit them if you have a roll hoop and harness bar, so who knows?

I know it's standard fitment, yet GT3's have them, and I've seen loads of WRX's etc with a half cage fitted, so I'd be looking into its legality

South Aussi Rules:

Roll cages

Due to the increased risk of occupant injury in vehicle accidents, fitting full roll cages is not permitted. However, fitting a half roll cage rearward of the driver may be acceptable providing that:

• no part of the roll cage can be contacted by vehicle occupants when positioned in their normal seating position
  • the roll cage is at least 150 millimetres behind the front seat occupants when the front seats are located in the most rearward adjusted position
  • all rear seats and seat belt assemblies fitted in the rear compartment are removed
  • the operation and effectiveness of the front seat belt assemblies is not affected in any way by the roll cage
  • no person travels in the rear of the vehicle at any time
  • the vehicle has a seating inspection carried out by the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure.

Good luck it sounds like a mine field

Edited by tomo

South Aussi Rules:

Roll cages

Due to the increased risk of occupant injury in vehicle accidents, fitting full roll cages is not permitted. However, fitting a half roll cage rearward of the driver may be acceptable providing that:

• no part of the roll cage can be contacted by vehicle occupants when positioned in their normal seating position
  • the roll cage is at least 150 millimetres behind the front seat occupants when the front seats are located in the most rearward adjusted position
  • all rear seats and seat belt assemblies fitted in the rear compartment are removed
  • the operation and effectiveness of the front seat belt assemblies is not affected in any way by the roll cage
  • the vehicle has a seating inspection carried out by the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure.

Those spec's are pretty clear.  How does this compare to the CAMS reg's?  CAMS have to approve the cage for competition use, separately to road use. 

Those spec's are pretty clear.  How does this compare to the CAMS reg's?  CAMS have to approve the cage for competition use, separately to road use. 

Here is a link for Rally/ Road, A fair bit of stuff to soak into the gray matter:http://www.cams.com.au/motor-sport/regulations/cams-manual/rally-road

I don't know anything for certain, about what is legal and what is not. I am just going off of what I have heard for years (could all be rumor) that you can't have a full cage in a road registered car. For the reasons that Rob^ mentioned. That said once a car is registered, it is easy to get rego renewal, as long as you don't get defected, and even then...

Jeff, these are the guide lines I used a few years ago for a car registered in NSW. 

This document details and responds to questions asked by participants in the Motoring Enthusiast’s Conference at Eastern Creek 26 February 2012.

33. Why can’t roll cages be used in vehicles as long as they are designed and constructed properly?

Yes, roll cages can be used in vehicles.

The relevant standard is the requirement in clause 21 of Schedule 2 of the Regulation that everything in a vehicle’s construction and operation must not pose a danger to any person.

NSW is of the view that four-point roll cages can still meet this requirement. Six point roll cages cannot, however, because the configuration of a six-point roll cage creates a rigid item directly in the head-strike area and obstructs the driver’s vision through the windscreen and adjacent side windows. A six point roll cage may nevertheless be installed in a vehicle if the front part is removed when the vehicle is used on a road or road-related area.

Guidance on the fitting of roll cages can be found in Section LK to VSB 14, National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification. 

Link to Section LK to VSB 14

https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP7_Section_LK_Seating_and_Occupant_Protection_1Jan2011_v2.pdf

" Six point roll cages cannot, however, because the configuration of a six-point roll cage creates a rigid item directly in the head-strike area and obstructs the driver’s vision through the windscreen and adjacent side windows"

This shouldn't be a problem if you have proper race seats, harnesses and a Hans collar. Your head won't get anywhere close to the A pillar.  

With normal 3 point belts, which are fitted in road cars, it's frightening how far an occupant can be thrown in an impact before the slack is taken up. 

South Aussi Rules:

Roll cages

So I'll be fitting a half cage then!

The conundrum with cages is it is impossible to meet both the road authorities regs and the cams regs at the same time - they are contradictory.

A rally car needs to both meet Cams schedule J to be used in competition but also be legal to drive on public roads for transport stages...

Obviously a full cage that is designed to be used in motorsport will be used with harness, seats, helmets etc, yet are helmets are also taken off during transport stages...

I would suggest before anyone builds a cage, you need to know exactly what category you intend to compete in and build to exactly that requirement, then worry about the the road stuff.

If you just want a cage coz it'd be cool in a hotrod way, then build what the road regs allow, and accept it won't be allowed in some categories of motorsport.

Talk to the guys at Bond cages .. He has some good insights ..good guy. he told e that he has or is involved in some possible regs changes and had given input to RTMS.. I spoke to them about a bolt in cage in my Esky …. I havent done anything and its still in as is and registered.. but I sense this is a moving target that may be getting to something resolvable and as this guy is advisor ..sorry cant recall his name ..might be worth a call 

Either way - good luck and thanks for the videos. Be great to know what camera you are using as well.

I am just using a GoPro Hero4 for everything. When the car gets on the road I may look at getting one or 2 more cameras, and to be honest they probably won't be gopros. I find it is a bit finicky. It often has card errors, and it keeps giving me issues downloading from the card when it is in the camera so I now find it easier to use a card reader. They are also really expensive compared to the plethora of other things out there that do pretty much the same thing...

South Aussi Rules:

Roll cages

This is just plain stupid! If you move the seat all the way rearward and recline it right back, then no cage in any car would comply?!

The conundrum with cages is it is impossible to meet both the road authorities regs and the cams regs at the same time - they are contradictory.

A rally car needs to both meet Cams schedule J to be used in competition but also be legal to drive on public roads for transport stages...

Obviously a full cage that is designed to be used in motorsport will be used with harness, seats, helmets etc, yet are helmets are also taken off during transport stages...

I would suggest before anyone builds a cage, you need to know exactly what category you intend to compete in and build to exactly that requirement, then worry about the the road stuff.

If you just want a cage coz it'd be cool in a hotrod way, then build what the road regs allow, and accept it won't be allowed in some categories of motorsport.

This is what I have been having trouble with. For Targa events, you must have a full roll cage AND the car must be road registered?! So basically what that means to me is that you have to have a dedicated car with rally registration. Also from what I have surmised, basically any race category that CAMS requires a cage, they require a full cage. So half cages don't comply with anything? 

What I question, is do GT3 factory cages comply for Targa etc? Because, from what I can see the attachment of the front bars and the size of the tubing etc, doesn't seem to line up with the roll cage specs they ask for? 

I have a half cage and solid bucket seats.

All engineered in NSW. 

This will also mean you need to have the car engineered as a 2 seater with all the rear belts etc removed.

From my discussion with the engineer, only half cages are allowed.

Edited by VroomVroomBlackSheep

I am happy to get the car engineered as a 2 seater. I got the main hoop done today, and all welded up, so now I just have the rear bars and the feet to do. Hopefully I can get that all tied up on Saturday.

looking forward to the more videos =)

As long as everything goes smoothly, tomorrow night I can start editing. Actually the editing only takes around an hour or so for me now, the uploading to youtube takes around 5 hours or so....