Home built Hot Rod

MFX

The 'Froot'? You did say Froot didnt you? Hahaha, not heard that one before

Then you obviously haven't been watching enough of my videos ;) . Part 8 is called "Sorting out the froot" and I go through a whole nomenclature lesson :D 

Sorry wobbly, I missed your post. I am now looking at rebuilding the engine I have, as I have had an offer to help, which has swayed my decision. Also, it would be a bit of a cop out to go this far on the rest of the car, and not rebuild the engine myself ;)

Sorry wobbly, I missed your post. I am now looking at rebuilding the engine I have, as I have had an offer to help, which has swayed my decision. Also, it would be a bit of a cop out to go this far on the rest of the car, and not rebuild the engine myself ;)

Cool :)  I'm going down the same path at the moment ... cases about to get sent out to the machine shop for checking, line boring (maybe), decking and pinning. Have you made up your list of rebuild mods yet?  Even if you don't go to town on the cases doing things such as the oil bypass mod will likely be worthwhile, as well as looking at timecerts and aftermarket head studs and rod bolts etc depending on where you want to take it.

Oh, and spray cam almost made me lose my breakfast :wacko:

Cool :)  I'm going down the same path at the moment ... cases about to get sent out to the machine shop for checking, line boring (maybe), decking and pinning. Have you made up your list of rebuild mods yet?  Even if you don't go to town on the cases doing things such as the oil bypass mod will likely be worthwhile, as well as looking at timecerts and aftermarket head studs and rod bolts etc depending on where you want to take it.

Oh, and spray cam almost made me lose my breakfast :wacko:

Yeah, I think I could have cut "spray cam" down a fair bit, particularly considering it wasn't pointing in the right direction :P 

The assistance I have is in the form of machining, so hopefully the whole case will be sorted. I am trying to work out now, if I go out to a 2.8 or 2.9 with pistons and cylinders. I have to look into it further, as it depends on the cost. Things could get a little stupid if I let it ;) 

Yeah, I think I could have cut "spray cam" down a fair bit, particularly considering it wasn't pointing in the right direction :P 

The assistance I have is in the form of machining, so hopefully the whole case will be sorted. I am trying to work out now, if I go out to a 2.8 or 2.9 with pistons and cylinders. I have to look into it further, as it depends on the cost. Things could get a little stupid if I let it ;) 

2.9 on stock cylinders is a bit dodgy. LN do a nice set of re-engineered cylinders for 2.9+ capacity but $$$$$. I found the cost is w-a-y cheaper to get cylinders machined and nikasil plates in the US compares to here. 2.8 is doable. 

Welcome to the slippery slope :D

Jeff, hats off.  Awesome work and very watchable content.  Discovering this thread at this mature stage is like watching the first episode of Breaking Bad knowing you've got every show, every season ahead of you.  I shall be indulging myself with all your vidz over the coming days.  Just watched the body filler one and have learned a great deal already.  Keep it up son :lol:

Jeff, hats off.  Awesome work and very watchable content.  Discovering this thread at this mature stage is like watching the first episode of Breaking Bad knowing you've got every show, every season ahead of you.  I shall be indulging myself with all your vidz over the coming days.  Just watched the body filler one and have learned a great deal already.  Keep it up son :lol:

I am not promising that I am doing it the right way. I continually have comments that I am doing this wrong, or that wrong. I do my research before I start, so I am happy enough with the way things are progressing ;) .

season 2 is a shocker. Gets busted by his boss for wearing his work pants on utube and has to sub out the rest of the build to some guy in Wollongong who just cries all the time..

I am not promising that I am doing it the right way. I continually have comments that I am doing this wrong, or that wrong. I do my research before I start, so I am happy enough with the way things are progressing ;) .

From my seat I don't see you holding yourself out as an expert.  More so someone having a go and happy to share your experiences, but it all looks good to hack like me.  I hope the 'you're doing this wrong' comments are constructive as otherwise that's poor form.

I have finally finished the last of the fabrication work I need to do before paint. I have spent the last week building the RSR style strut braces, front and rear, for my car. I am pretty happy with the result, so hopefully I can finish up the final prep of the engine bay, interior and the froot for so I can seam seal and repaint the stone guard.

This wrong or that wrong, who cares, Pork Chops is absolutely correct your doing it with the knowledge and research you have gained yourself and making it to your vision, if it's not exactly correct does it really matter?

Jeff awesome job mate and keep it up, there will always be someone hatin' on ya, utmost respect for tackling a job so complex, geez i hope you remember where all those wires go:P

You're just getting yourself groomed for Top Gear presenter replacement......I see through your scheme:ph34r:

Haha. I wish. I don't care how crap the show would be, just give me the keys to some nice cars that I don't own (eg. drive it like you stole it :D ).

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have had a bit more progress this week. I have painted the inside of the wheel arches and inside the bumpers and front guards. I decided to do them in black because, although I think cars look great with the body colour under the wheel arches, I know that I won't be cleaning under there too regularly. The car will get driven, so I know they would just end up looking messy. Black keeps it neat and simple.

Here is the vid.

Well I have had a bit more progress this week. I have painted the inside of the wheel arches and inside the bumpers and front guards. I decided to do them in black because, although I think cars look great with the body colour under the wheel arches, I know that I won't be cleaning under there too regularly. The car will get driven, so I know they would just end up looking messy. Black keeps it neat and simple.

Hey Jeff,

To get that splatter look with the body deadener, you can use a schutz type spray gun. These types of spray guns usually screw onto the body deadener cans.

I have one if you need to borrow one (see photo), I don't know if you would want to redo the body deadener though.

SCHUTZ%20GUN.jpg