10 minutes ago, JLD said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1988-porsche-944-manual/SSE-AD-14337789/?Cr=0&gts=SSE-AD-14337789&gtsSaleId=SSE-AD-14337789&gtsViewType=showcase&rankingType=showcase

Was pretty interested in this as it popped up on my radar, but seller has neglected to mention it's a converted LHD car:PissedOff:

surley only a minor matter to omit 😎.............

He had this advertised on facebook for a much higher price but got a lot of adverse commentary re the LHD conversion, seems he though it better just not to mention it.

1 minute ago, Jason E said:

He had this advertised on facebook for a much higher price but got a lot of adverse commentary re the LHD conversion, seems he though it better just not to mention it.

I think that's pretty dodgy. Makes me wonder what else he's hiding so didn't go any further. Seller thinks it's not a problem to omit

16 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Yep , spotted it was an import straight away. Rear bumpers first etc etc

On 13/02/2023 at 23:57, OzJustin said:

The market is so hard to follow these days. Agree the cars sitting on Carsales are in no way a reflection of sold prices. We need a database of sold prices so we can properly track the used car market.

My thinking is good S2's are low $30s and Turbos maybe $50s, but obviously depends on year, spec, condition, mileage, service history etc etc.

The only way you'll ever get an accurate snapshot though is if buyers willingly and honestly share their buy prices. Advertised prices will never reflect the actual sale price. 

On 27/04/2023 at 19:41, NAC911 said:

The only way you'll ever get an accurate snapshot though is if buyers willingly and honestly share their buy prices. Advertised prices will never reflect the actual sale price. 

This is true. It seems to be a real gap in Australian data. Other countries have very sophisticated market monitoring tools to track sold prices etc. Surely some intelligent app creator can source raw data from the State transport offices or similar...

15 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

This is true. It seems to be a real gap in Australian data. Other countries have very sophisticated market monitoring tools to track sold prices etc. Surely some intelligent app creator can source raw data from the State transport offices or similar...

Without a willing seller/buyer to share honest details im not sure other countries data is any more accurate than ours. 

• 3 weeks later...

Only turbos I've seen under 40 are a LHD import and a tarmac car that isn't able to be registered, not sure that's a good indication of the market. 

If anything the asking prices on carsales have gone up. Not many cars moving though.

5 hours ago, bergerac said:

If anything the asking prices on carsales have gone up. Not many cars moving though.

I don't follow 944s but a common pattern I've noticed lately on a few cars is the owners are shifting the price down to something sensible but in this market, still not selling... Instead of lowering a little bit more, they decide to crank the price back up ... 😂

On 16/05/2023 at 15:48, JWM said:

Instead of lowering a little bit more, they decide to crank the price back up ... 😂

I have noticed this too. I think they feel they'll be able to offer a greater "discount" in negotiation, but the truth is that no-one will bother to come and view the car if it's a silly price to start with.

On 16/05/2023 at 09:58, bergerac said:

Only turbos I've seen under 40 are a LHD import and a tarmac car that isn't able to be registered, not sure that's a good indication of the market. 

I did see a RHD road Turbo that looked "ok" but it did not last long at just under $40k. I think I agree, a sub $40k Turbo won't be a great/desireable car, but 12-18 months ago they were all asking $50-70k for similar stuff.

What I do see is that 1) Autos are like tattoos - might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but impossible to get rid of, 2) the prices of better cars seem to be dropping, and 3) there is still plenty of people who think an average (at best) early NA car is worth $30k+ (for months on end).

• 2 months later...

On 28/04/2023 at 19:36, NAC911 said:

Without a willing seller/buyer to share honest details im not sure other countries data is any more accurate than ours. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to get access to the transport departments registration transfer data? They would have relatively accurate prices due to stamp duty being paid

1 hour ago, AndrewM said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to get access to the transport departments registration transfer data? They would have relatively accurate prices due to stamp duty being paid

In my experience in Qld at least, the quoted price for rego stamp duty doesn't often bear resemblance to the price actually paid. If the buyer gets the seller to leave the price on the transfer form blank, a price from Redbook, for example, can be used with some confidence, Redbook price usually being well below actual price, especially for Porsche.

On 28/07/2023 at 19:03, LeeM said:

A member here has looked at the first two cars and passed on them, so they might not be all they seem

Interesting.

Have any members been to look at this WA example? It's been listed for ages and keen to understand the story.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1989-porsche-944-s2-manual/SSE-AD-14562745/?Cr=10

47 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

Interesting.

Have any members been to look at this WA example? It's been listed for ages and keen to understand the story.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1989-porsche-944-s2-manual/SSE-AD-14562745/?Cr=10

I had it on a hoist about 18 months ago, there didn't appear to be anything particularly wrong with it, he wanted $43k at the time which I though was too high for the Km's. Has big reds and M030 suspension. Was listed for $35k no long ago though a local broker.

19 hours ago, mrar said:

no story

not surprised.

sold ages ago.

It's still listed on Carsales now with a 'John' as the seller and rego expired May 2023. Maybe he's neglected to remove the listing? I enquired several months ago but never got a response. I've seen about a dozen other people enquire on the car over the many months too...

On 28/07/2023 at 19:13, AndrewM said:

No that's restricted data.  And wouldnt be accurate either, by a long way!

• 2 weeks later...