Looking at one with very similar specs / condition this weekend.  How realistic does everyone think a $35-$40k price is for a manual S2? 

This is 3 times the price of an auto 2.5 i drove last weekend, but that was a totally underwhelming experience I must admit....

Problem is $35-$40k is only $10-$15k away from a good 996 with only 100,000kms or less....... 

Reports are that both are now quite collectible.  (Now if either were Turbos for that price B).....)

cheers

Peter

Edited by TwoHeadsTas
Just added a bit more in..

Looking at one with very similar specs / condition this weekend.  How realistic does everyone think a $35-$40k price is for a manual S2? 

This is 3 times the price of an auto 2.5 i drove last weekend, but that was a totally underwhelming experience I must admit....

Problem is $35-$40k is only $10-$15k away from a good 996 with only 100,000kms or less....... 

Reports are that both are now quite collectible.  (Now if either were Turbos for that price B).....)

cheers

Peter

It's hard to compare different cars as everything and anything is only $10k- $15k away from the next ....

You should decide which type of car you really want and find the best one you can ... it might be available now or you might have to spend time searching for it ... but it will turn up.

As for the price on the S2 .... I'm not the up with the values on those so unfortunately can't help ... there are others on here that know them backwards and I'm sure they will chime in soon ...

cheers

Peter

Very realistic for a really good one with good history and no money to be spent.

An auto 2.5 would be very underwhelming, if you haven't driven a nice S2 you need to try one.

If you really want a 911 maybe the 996 is the one for you but don't discount the S2 totally, they are a great car, have you looked at the S2 down your way for sale on carsales?

944 Auto 2.5 vs S2, think V6 auto Commodore vs HSV Club sport manual (in both cases they are based on the same car, but with many different parts and a completely different driving experience). I'm not sure why people think the S2 is so slow, yeah the turbo is a faster car and the hero car of the range, but in the real world the torque of the 3 litre 4 cylinder delivers V8 style torque and power at any revs at any time. The S2 is a very fast car out in the real world on real roads. It is also a very relaxing drive for the days you just want to cruise around.

S2 prices have recently dropped slightly (along with some of the other Porsche models), they were in the low $40's for a while but they are very unlikely to drop again. If you pay $35 - $40k for a good S2 now I cannot see it ever being worth less than what you pay for it. They aren't making anymore of them and they are an excellent affordable Porsche to own. If you buy a well looked after car and keep the maintenance up it will cost you very little to own. I've never driven the 996, it's a 911 so it is a great car I am sure. You have the IMS issue and I have heard that a new clutch is about $7k fitted. I imagine it could be an expensive car to own if you buy it at the Kms where things start needing to be replaced. I could be wrong......

, have you looked at the S2 down your way for sale on carsales?

Yes, that's what I'm looking at on Saturday :)

I've always wanted a 911 (I reckon I own half of Sydney Maritime Museum given the number of raffle tickets I bought in 911s way back when that was their main fundraising method.....), and our 987, whilst we absolutely love it, isn't a 911^_^.  I cancelled an order on a new Grand Cherokee, and decided to keep my Territory for towing, so thought I'd use the loan funds to get another P car.  I originally thought cheap 944 for weekends etc, but all I can find at that price level are autos, which don;t cut the mustard, hence the search for manuals basically bought up S2s.  

Anyhow, I'm about to contact a mate from the car club to see if he'll lend me his 996 for an hour to have a good drive, which I can then compare to the S2 at the weekend

Edited by TwoHeadsTas
Added stuff

...I have heard that a new clutch is about $7k fitted. I imagine it could be an expensive car to own if you buy it at the Kms where things start needing to be replaced. I could be wrong......

Maybe 7k if you're talking about replacing the IMSB with the 'IMS Solution' plain bearing (which is a 2.5k AU part) and the flywheel at the same time.

If you get a good 996 that's been maintained correctly and you continue to maintain it correctly, including certain preventative measures, the 996 is a very robust and well engineered car. They do have some quirks like all cars but so far I've found them to be very DIYable. Changing the oil every 5k is a bit of a pain because if you like driving it, which you will, it comes around very quickly!

I was looking at S2's and 968's before I got my C2 996, I'm still very fond of them and would love to have both but I couldn't swap with my 996.

Maybe 7k if you're talking about replacing the IMSB with the 'IMS Solution' plain bearing (which is a 2.5k AU part) and the flywheel at the same time.

If you get a good 996 that's been maintained correctly and you continue to maintain it correctly, including certain preventative measures, the 996 is a very robust and well engineered car. They do have some quirks like all cars but so far I've found them to be very DIYable. Changing the oil every 5k is a bit of a pain because if you like driving it, which you will, it comes around very quickly!

I was looking at S2's and 968's before I got my C2 996, I'm still very fond of them and would love to have both but I couldn't swap with my 996.

Every 5k, i thought i was anal at every 6 months

Every 5k, i thought i was anal at every 6 months

I'm sticking with oil change every 10k - every 5k comes up too often for a daily.

Yes, that's what I'm looking at on Saturday :)

I've always wanted a 911 (I reckon I own half of Sydney Maritime Museum given the number of raffle tickets I bought in 911s way back when that was their main fundraising method.....), and our 987, whilst we absolutely love it, isn't a 911^_^.  I cancelled an order on a new Grand Cherokee, and decided to keep my Territory for towing, so thought I'd use the loan funds to get another P car.  I originally thought cheap 944 for weekends etc, but all I can find at that price level are autos, which don;t cut the mustard, hence the search for manuals basically bought up S2s.  

Anyhow, I'm about to contact a mate from the car club to see if he'll lend me his 996 for an hour to have a good drive, which I can then compare to the S2 at the weekend

I daily my S2 & it is a great thing.  Loads of usable power.  The Turbo owners I know love them but say they are sometimes not the greatest car to use as a daily.

I'm sticking with oil change every 10k - every 5k comes up too often for a daily.

I daily my S2 & it is a great thing.  Loads of usable power.  The Turbo owners I know love them but say they are sometimes not the greatest car to use as a daily.

Series 1 944 turbo would be ok but i would want a long commute with not too much traffic;)

To anyone who is interested i rang about this car today and from my research and limited knowledge of these cars, this is not a turbo s.

66k is a bit of a stretch for this car but you never know.

To anyone who is interested i rang about this car today and from my research and limited knowledge of these cars, this is not a turbo s.

66k is a bit of a stretch for this car but you never know.

Christ's sake, it's bloody raining S2's at the moment of every stripe & variation.  Of course when I was looking all you could get was an old shitter from Sydney sitting in a bloke named Stavros's yard under a friggen tree (Do I sound a touch bitter?????)

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-5058883?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA&sdmvc=1&utm_campaign=bau&utm_medium=email&utm_source=transact&utm_content=autoalert&wt.z_driver=Email_SearchAlert?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert