On 24/12/2017 at 10:14 PM, Troubleshooter said:

Hmmmm 30yo 944 28ks or 1st gen Cayman S 28ks same price - not a hard choice

A bloke I know was looking at getting into a 944, yet flabbergasted at the prices of them lately and after driving one, he's now looking at a Cayman S or a 996. I agree with you 100% for sure, you get a helluva car with a Cayman, and if I had to make a choice between the two at the same price point, it wouldn't be a 944 (as much as I like them), yet it's chalk and cheese comparing them. You either want the rawness of an old car, or you want a newer one that does everything much easier. Same as an '78 SC like mine to a 996, you just can't compare them. I've often thought of selling mine to buy a 996, and I'd probably have some change left over to buy rims etc, but will it give me the same feeling I get when I drive the SC? No chance

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

A bloke I know was looking at getting into a 944, yet flabbergasted at the prices of them lately and after driving one, he's now looking at a Cayman S or a 996. I agree with you 100% for sure, you get a helluva car with a Cayman, and if I had to make a choice between the two at the same price point, it wouldn't be a 944 (as much as I like them), yet it's chalk and cheese comparing them. You either want the rawness of an old car, or you want a newer one that does everything much easier. Same as an '78 SC like mine to a 996, you just can't compare them. I've often thought of selling mine to buy a 996, and I'd probably have some change left over to buy rims etc, but will it give me the same feeling I get when I drive the SC? No chance

Just like a Cayman won't give you the same feeling as a 944 i guess.

I think if you drove a 944 that was properly sorted you might change your mind.

41 minutes ago, TINGY944 said:

True. Think ol mate just couldn't justify the coin for the 944 (non turbo) against the Cayman's mod cons

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

I can totally see how a 996 for example, couldn't for a lot of owners replace an SC for the nostalgic appeal all around or the "feel" and satisfaction of ownership, likewise how a Cayman S for the same reasons couldn't for a lot of owners replace a sorted 944 3ltr for the nostalgic appeal all around or the "feel" and satisfaction of ownership as well. I was basing my opinion on what else $60000 could buy in the Porsche world comparing an excessively high priced extremely low klm 944 with a very good buy these days of a manual CaymanS with the same 28 klms.

I think if you took the usual price of a good average klm 944 2.5 at about say $18000? or a 3.ltr at about $25000? and compared it to good first series manual Cayman S with average ks at about $45000 there can't really be a comparison because of the difference in car and mostly the price difference. I've owned a standard 3ltr 944 and whilst I enjoyed it for the nostalgic reasons and the drive, it just didn't excite me on my bum dyno compared to faster Porsches I preferred to drive to be my car of choice on most drives. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1986/SSE-AD-5149905/?Cr=1

My 2 cents worth

someone selling a basic 944, less desirable car at a very wishful inflated price has very limited market. More likley the seller is less aware of what a more desirable 944 is and no idea of what constitutes a less desirable model. The sellers only hope finding a totally clueless buyer. The markert will determine the selling price and the over priced cars will sit in the sellers garage a long time.

The very low milage 30 year old car will  have its issues, dried out leaky gaskets & old plastics & rubbers.

not much of a decision when comparing any 30 year old 944 at 60k and a 15 year old cayman/boxster value wise. 

GLWTS?

1 hour ago, TINGY944 said:

Must have been a pearler for mid $40's.

Apparently not. Had minor paint issues (suss colour mismatching too. e.g been in a prang), mismatched tyres, good but not great trim, service records that stopped a few years ago etc. Think it was just one of those sellers who THINKS his car is worth $XXX when it's probably worth half the asking price or less. Not like we've seen that before in Porsche world ofcourse! ?

Prices are what they are whether we like it or not, yet some just don't see the value in them (I don't either, and that includes 911's), but if you wanna play, you gotta pay

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

I was basing my opinion on what else $60000 could buy in the Porsche world comparing an excessively high priced extremely low klm 944 with a very good buy these days of a manual CaymanS with the same 28 klms.

$60k can buy a car a lot better than a n/a 944, yet as you say with the bum dyno (?) it just depends what floats ya boat

4 hours ago, TINGY944 said:

I wonder what sort of value they'd both retain over 5 years, I reckon the sorted 944 might win on (wallet) feeling by that measure too!

2 hours ago, Brow said:

Seems to me 944 are up by 10k to 20k in last 18 months or so. Basic runners that were 8- 10 k now 18 ish and turbos and 3 litres 30 to 50. My big unknown is what they actually change hands for.

This is a pretty fair summation of the "asking" market at the moment.  From what I can see though the reality of actual turn over prices are much lower.  I would suggest most S2's of reasonable driver quality are moving in the high 20's with the turbos in the mid 30's.  Of course very good examples will fetch higher prices.  The S2's in the late 30's are just sitting there growing mold (as are the turbos at that end of the market).

The N/As also seem to move very slowly in the late teens & above (of course good really good one's will buck the trend....60k though - I don't think so.......).

I know a fella with a one owner S2 (on Gumtree) in what looks like great knick (however arguably in a less desirable interior/ exterior color scheme) that hasn't moved at $42k in months - so maybe even the good ones are lower than thought at the moment.........  

Like anyone I think we all think our cars are worth four hundred & sixty twelve thousand dollars.  (We all know that these cars are absolute gems to drive & are a bargain for what they cost but convincing someone else, well therein lies the challenge)   In reality the market predicts how long your car will fester in obscurity on the lonely hearts section of Carsales or Gumtree.  

What was worth 40k in recent times is a long way from there at the moment methinks............or of course I could be completely wrong & talking complete sh!t.

Well here's something you don't see every day for sale in Oz, a Lefty 944. Average cond, some mechanical damage, early model and a sludgy boring auto $19000!!!! Hhahahahaha, think he meant $1900. As a righty it'd sell at about $9000 max so whats an import lefty worth? Apply the general 911 formula of about 30% = $6000 sale price? Why on earth would you import this car? Nice colour though:)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1983-Porsche-944/202164618745?hash=item2f11f345f9:g:d~kAAOSwnVhaRdpE

1983-Porsche-944

Well here's something you don't see every day for sale in Oz, a Lefty 944. Average cond, some mechanical damage, early model and a sludgy boring auto $19000!!!! Hhahahahaha, think he meant $1900. As a righty it'd sell at about $9000 max so whats an import lefty worth? Apply the general 911 formula of about 30% = $6000 sale price? Why on earth would you import this car? Nice colour though:)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1983-Porsche-944/202164618745?hash=item2f11f345f9:g:d~kAAOSwnVhaRdpE

1983-Porsche-944

And it's a recent import too! .... :unsure:

10 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

And it's a recent import too! .... :unsure:

1983-Porsche-944

Maybe he got caught up in the hype and thought it was a good idea.

Jason's summation is pretty close i think.

Good cars will always sell, period. It seems there is always a buyer out in car land waiting to pounce with a wadful of cash for the right car that has been looked after and coveted by the previous caretaker.

Every now and then they pop up, as we know, and go as quick as they appear and most of us will never know what it goes for so, it's hard to keep a real track of the market, if that's your thing.

What i do know is, history is king to the nervous buyer of these 944's. Everyone has a horror story about them because the servicing was neglected by some owners then some poor bastard ends up bringing it back to life, @Jason E

Turbo's are even more prone to neglect because of a little more maintenance required. We all know how good these 944's are so do we stop talking them up to keep the prices down so we can buy more good ones?

Tingy has belted the nail on the head here.

A.  Maybe he got caught up in the hype and thought it was a good idea.

I had a bloke over at my house a couple weeks ago buying some parts I was selling - the conversation went like this -

Me - thanks mate I hope this fits well & your car looks a little better.....

Him - thanks I am doing it up to sell. I bought it for next to nothing & I've spent thousands getting new parts & bits & pieces for it......

Me- Oh really (radar fires up- interest is peaked) what variant have you got?

Him - Oh it's a 944 Auto with the old square dash.  Me & a mate have cut out lots of rust & painted some bits etc etc.  They are worth so much now I'm just getting ready for sale.  The interior is pretty knackered & it needs new suspension & brakes etc, etc, etc (he went on to list a lot of things it needs).  I've spent about 3 grand so far............

Me - Oh really, umm, well now.  Hmm, well yes certain variants of the transaxles have seen a balloon in prices in recent years but they have only recently seen a fairly sharp downswing.....

Him (interupting me) - What's a Transaxle?

Me- (sliently shaking my head) - Oh Boy.................... 

Me- Mate I'm a long way from an expert but over the last coupla years I've picked up a few things & without insulting you I think you should stop spending immediately & list the car on Gumtree as it is & see if there is any interest before spending anything else.

Him- (looking at me in a bit of an off way) Why?  What do you mean?

Me- Well, mate, just my opinion, but.......... a pre update auto 944.....

Him (interupting me) Whaddaya mean pre update?

Me (oh boy)- The older Square dash variant pre 85.5.

Him- (looking confused) Is there are different type?

Me- look anyway a pre update auto is not very desirable.  In fact they are pretty much derided in the Porsche world as a bit of a "Niche" car.  Lot's might buy one if it was in good knick & very, very (VERY) cheap but I'd be flabbergasted if an auto saw the high side of 5 grand.  The auto box is just a bit horrible.  The manual cars are the only ones pulling money & then only when they are demonstratably in good order with extensive, decent or recent maintenence history.

Him- (Looking shitty)  Mate it's a great car! 

Me- no doubt mate, no doubt.  

Me- Hey look I'll take that part back if you like.  Happy to give your money back if you'd like to think about it.

Him- no mate that's ok, anyway see you later. (not a happy camper)

Me- Good Luck (waving). 

B. history is king to the nervous buyer of these 944's. Everyone has a horror story about them because the servicing was neglected by some owners then some poor bastard ends up bringing it back to life, @Jason E

Yes- they sure do take some maintenance to bring them back.  I've decided to name my car "Steve Austin" as it has only taken about 6 million dollars to rebuild him (& unlike Lee Majors I can't wrap him in a cheesy track suit to hide his Pie Guts..........)

C. We all know how good these 944's are so do we stop talking them up to keep the prices down so we can buy more good ones?

Well I think you just have to ride the waves up & down to get a good one when they are down a bit (or be like Tingy & come across all the good ones out & about & pounce like a German loving Leopard........):P

7 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

1983-Porsche-944

I reckon about $15k overpriced, if he can find a wood-duck to come and look at it.  Boat anchor...

47 minutes ago, 901er said:

I saw this a few days ago!  I'm watching this eagerly as he only needs to drop another 48k then I can afford to make an offer.  Just quietly I'm pretty confident I might be able to snag this one.............