This thread was running hot a few years back along with a good stock of S2’s on the market, around the time A/C cars started to take off, maybe because people were trying to get in on something that wasn’t out of reach yet?
Only one S2 on carsales at the moment and it’s a rare museum piece with very low k’s 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1989-porsche-944-s2-manual/OAG-AD-19996560/

Although lack of stock makes it hard to gauge, why when nearly ever other car has seen an increase (Porsche, JDM, BMW, 4x4’s…….) the S2 probably still sits as it was at $30-$40k, average - very good example?

Only 12 of any variant 944’s listed on carsales and 5 of them are Turbos, very slim pickings.

20 hours ago, Stepo said:

This thread was running hot a few years back along with a good stock of S2’s on the market, around the time A/C cars started to take off, maybe because people were trying to get in on something that wasn’t out of reach yet?
Only one S2 on carsales at the moment and it’s a rare museum piece with very low k’s 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1989-porsche-944-s2-manual/OAG-AD-19996560/

Although lack of stock makes it hard to gauge, why when nearly ever other car has seen an increase (Porsche, JDM, BMW, 4x4’s…….) the S2 probably still sits as it was at $30-$40k, average - very good example?

Only 12 of any variant 944’s listed on carsales and 5 of them are Turbos, very slim pickings.

Yes I've been a little surprised how limited the stock has been. Not many examples changing hands (at least publicly) at the moment. I have some 944 window glass for sale if anyone wants to pick up 'part' of a 944.. :P 

11 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Yes I've been a little surprised how limited the stock has been. Not many examples changing hands (at least publicly) at the moment. I have some 944 window glass for sale if anyone wants to pick up 'part' of a 944.. :P 

Hi there, I think, like me there’s others that want to sell their 944s can’t be assed dealing with CS or keep changing their minds after each drive. 

10 hours ago, Jason E said:

I know a bloke chasing a 944.  What are you selling?

Au del Guards red 88 944S, 105k original km, all books recently colour corrected and ceramic coated. Beautiful car. As I said I’m 50/50 on selling it as I change my mind every time I drive it.

1 hour ago, Port 911 said:

Hi Jason

Are you looking for a 944

No mate, just had a guy (I dont know him) on Facebook telling me he's looking at a left hooker Turbo.  I saw this car for sale & thiught I'd pass it on.  You still considering moving yours on?

11 minutes ago, Jason E said:

No mate, just had a guy (I dont know him) on Facebook telling me he's looking at a left hooker Turbo.  I saw this car for sale & thiught I'd pass it on.  You still considering moving yours on?

Hi Mate, yes but no rush, my car is currently stuck down at Autowerks, in lock down(Central Coast). I got both cars serviced down there and the 944 ended up stuck down there, its been finished for what seems like months. I have looked at getting it freighted back up, but not a lot of car transport movements at the moment that are cost effective.  

We are now out of lookdown and I would love to have it back here to drive.

On 15/09/2021 at 14:27, Port 911 said:

Hi Mate, yes but no rush, my car is currently stuck down at Autowerks, in lock down(Central Coast). I got both cars serviced down there and the 944 ended up stuck down there, its been finished for what seems like months. I have looked at getting it freighted back up, but not a lot of car transport movements at the moment that are cost effective.  

We are now out of lookdown and I would love to have it back here to drive.

I've been to Simon's a couple of times and seen it pining for you .. I think you'd better hurry up and get it before it becomes too comfortable and refuses to leave ..

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody, newbie here!

Does anyone know what's up with the crazy pricing on 944s recently? I know you should expect them to sort of go up in price over time, but recently there's been people listing all types, even standard non-turbo non-s models for crazy prices, 50-75k. You reckon it's just a case of one person lists one at a silly price, then the next person comes along and says "Oh that's what they're selling for, better put mine for the same price". Is anyone actually paying these prices?

A few months ago I was looking at an 86 944 and it was only 25k. Wishing I had the money back then to buy it. Now there are not many available, few cheapies here and there but mostly autos or they need work.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on these prices. I've got the cash to buy one now, just gotta wait for this bubble to burst I think!

EDIT - What do everyone think of around 30k for a non-turbo 944, earlier model? Fair or too much?

4 hours ago, Foolsbry said:

Does anyone know what's up with the crazy pricing on 944s recently? I know you should expect them to sort of go up in price over time, but recently there's been people listing all types, even standard non-turbo non-s models for crazy prices, 50-75k. You reckon it's just a case of one person lists one at a silly price, then the next person comes along and says "Oh that's what they're selling for, better put mine for the same price". Is anyone actually paying these prices?

A few months ago I was looking at an 86 944 and it was only 25k. Wishing I had the money back then to buy it. Now there are not many available, few cheapies here and there but mostly autos or they need work.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on these prices. I've got the cash to buy one now, just gotta wait for this bubble to burst I think!

EDIT - What do everyone think of around 30k for a non-turbo 944, earlier model? Fair or too much?

I'd wait for the Covid bubble to burst.  They're not cheap to own unless you're doinv the wrenching yourself. 

4 hours ago, Foolsbry said:

It's not feasible to think that every other car is rising in value, except the humble 944.

Everything "old" has gone up in price. So regardless of where the market was 5 years ago or 12 months ago, or even 2 months ago, things have changed.

I have also struggled to believe the rise in them, but it's my old fashioned thinking that is off, not the actual price.

I have also started to think that with 944's, the whole pre face-lift thing isn't such a thing any more. There was a time when a pre '85 model was seen as a waste of time and money .. now it's a case of just get one .. any one.

2 hours ago, Dreamr said:

It's not feasible to think that every other car is rising in value, except the humble 944.

Everything "old" has gone up in price. So regardless of where the market was 5 years ago or 12 months ago, or even 2 months ago, things have changed.

I have also struggled to believe the rise in them, but it's my old fashioned thinking that is off, not the actual price.

I have also started to think that with 944's, the whole pre face-lift thing isn't such a thing any more. There was a time when a pre '85 model was seen as a waste of time and money .. now it's a case of just get one .. any one.

I hate it when he's right.........

Thanks for the input so far! I really wish I was able to be thinking about buying one even a year ago. Although I'm happy to wait it out a bit longer and see what happens. Covid bubble is what I'm hoping it is, but Dreamr's probably right, should probably get one while I can. I'm not seeing that burgandy one on Facebook though, Steve. Did you have a link to that one? Please and thanks! There's a couple of burgundy ones listed here in QLD, but they're both auto unfortunately.

7 hours ago, Foolsbry said:

Year of manufacture will effect the value & potential asking price of the 944. As the 944 model was continually improved & features added in the later models. Lots of information available online of the differences in the models & years. 1986 1/2 model year is a big break in the models.
An auto would be worth significantly less than a manual. Depending on where you live air conditioning could be an important feature. The earliest model years didn’t come with air con or power steering. 
Yes the Turbo is the top of the heap, but there is 2 basic Turbo models with a few specific options. 
The price of any car depends on its condition, body/paint, interior, mechanical running gear, electrics.  More so a 30 to 38 years old car.
Price of Porsche parts are more expensive and in a lot of cases the maintenance is more labour intensive.
So a 944 with an outstanding list of maintenance items to rectify would have a lower value reflected in its asking price. There is lists on “Clark’s Garage” web site on what to check when looking to purchase a prospective 944.
A well kept 944 with no outstanding maintenance can be listed at a premium. 
Originally is a premium feature. This means a car that hasn’t had a lot of “custom” fixes. 
And finally is the car Australian delivered? If it came from the UK it will likely have rust & corrosion issues. Is the car a US import which has been converted to RHD?

The big question is what is the current average price based on the above? I don’t know.  

Don't get an auto 944(especially a square dash model) unless you want the car strictly for commuting (you'd be better off with a Boxster if that's the case)  They're terrible.  I drove 2 of the 3 speed boxes.   Truly terrible. 

36 minutes ago, Foolsbry said:

Thanks for the input so far! I really wish I was able to be thinking about buying one even a year ago. Although I'm happy to wait it out a bit longer and see what happens. Covid bubble is what I'm hoping it is, but Dreamr's probably right, should probably get one while I can. I'm not seeing that burgandy one on Facebook though, Steve. Did you have a link to that one? Please and thanks! There's a couple of burgundy ones listed here in QLD, but they're both auto unfortunately.

Hey Foolsbry. Here it is:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2982965018657612/

1986 so the more modern dash and no sunroof which is preferred. It doesn't appear to be to far away from me so are happy to go and kick some tyres for you once the lockdown is over. I have had a 944 like this one previously ('86 white with burgundy interior) so are happy to have a chat over the phone if that would help.