On 07/10/2021 at 16:04, Port 911 said:

944 S2 1989-1991 Coupe - 88 still registered in OZ

944 S2 1989-1991 Convertible - 6 still

128 S2 coupes delivered over the 3 years so nearly 1/3 not registered presume gone.

Only 6 convertibles is interesting, they come up every now and then and don’t fetch a premium due to lower numbers.

17 hours ago, Stepo said:

128 S2 coupes delivered over the 3 years so nearly 1/3 not registered presume gone.

Only 6 convertibles is interesting, they come up every now and then and don’t fetch a premium due to lower numbers.

Some people just don't like convertibles, I love them and Targa's.

These figures are only the car that are road registered. So anything that is not currently registered or is a dedicated track car will not be reflected in those numbers.

I know personally of a few 944 that have been made total ride off's, gone for ever 😞 

I know where a 944S2 convertible is here in Brisbane sitting out on the road.  The owner has 3 other Porsches sitting next to it in front of his house.  A 924 Turbo & a 914.  I've tried about 10 times to talk to him about selling.  He won't even talk to me - & I have a very winning personality.  It's a crying shame.

1 hour ago, Jason E said:

I know where a 944S2 convertible is here in Brisbane sitting out on the road.  The owner has 3 other Porsches sitting next to it in front of his house.  A 924 Turbo & a 914.  I've tried about 10 times to talk to him about selling.  He won't even talk to me - & I have a very winning personality.  It's a crying shame.

A collector!

None listed for sale? What kind of condition are they in?

On 07/10/2021 at 16:04, Port 911 said:

I have current registered numbers, and just managed to get a rough breakdown of the series 1 series 2 breakdown

944 2.5Lt N/A 1982 - 1988 Man/Auto - 209 still registered in OZ (Around 150 series 1 & Around 50 of those are series 2)

944 Turbo 1986-1991 Man with the M44.50 engine - 51 still registered in OZ

944 Turbo 1986-1991 Man with the M44.52 engine - 41 still registered in OZ

944 S 1987-1989 Man - 28 still registered in OZ

944 2.7Lt 1988-1989 Man/Auto - 40 still registered in OZ 

944 S2 1989-1991 Coupe - 88 still registered in OZ

944 S2 1989-1991 Convertible - 6 still registered in OZ  

And there you have the answer

The M44.52 I believe started in 88 cars although some early 88s may still have had M44.51(which is basically a downgraded M44.50).

So its fair to assume that the 51still registered  M44.50 should all be 86 turbo's and the 41 M44.52 are 88 or later.

My car was originally sold in January or February of 87(and rego'd as an 87) but it is definitely from the initial batch of 86 turbo's(110 in total). I have also read that the initial batch of 110 86 turbo's were sold over 2 years. Porsche Australia say they have no info on the break down of the cars of that era, so I can't get confirmation that I may have only non sunroof 86 turbo, but considering it also has script interior and sports seats, its definitely a very rare combo, if not unique.

Thanks for sharing the rego info as it shows just how rare our cars are now.

• 2 weeks later...

One owner says a lot.  If he's maintained it the k's shouldn't factor.  Depends on condition I'd suggest.  My S2 had 220,000 ks  when I sold it & it pulled like a freight train.  I wouldn't be concerned if there was evidence of consistent maintenance. 

1 hour ago, bergerac said:

How many km's is too many? One owner and looks like a tidy car

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1986-porsche-944-turbo-manual/SSE-AD-7433906

Definitely not a one owner car, I owned that car for a few years before selling it to someone in Victoria back in 2019. I know it’s mine because of that sticker on the side window, the repainted bumper and a bunch of other things. Doesn’t look like much has changed since I sold it. I would be careful of what info he’s sharing if he’s lying about that sort of stuff. PM if you want more info

21 minutes ago, vinnytang said:

Definitely not a one owner car, I owned that car for a few years before selling it to someone in Victoria back in 2019. I know it’s mine because of that sticker on the side window, the repainted bumper and a bunch of other things. Doesn’t look like much has changed since I sold it. I would be careful of what info he’s sharing if he’s lying about that sort of stuff. PM if you want more info

I test drove this when you were selling it Vinny!!!  Ended up with a 996.2C and now have a 996.1 GT3.  I do still have a hankering for a 944, but no space to keep it 😞 

24 minutes ago, vinnytang said:

Thanks Vinny, may have misinterpreted the one owner thing from one of the ads, havent spoken to the bloke, only found the car sales ad this morning after following the auction for a few days. Have sent you a PM. Only really looking at it because my budget was only originally going to cover a NA.

9 hours ago, vinnytang said:

Currently in the Lloyds auction ending tomorrow. Since on Lloyds I expect it will be relisted shortly after the auction ends...

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotDetails.aspx?stype=0&stypeid=0&kw=Porsche&cid=0&smode=0&lid=3204639

Talking of Lloyds, I just had the winning online bid on a car (non Porsche) and now waiting for the bid to be cancelled and the car relisted. I have never tried buying through them before, but going on previous discussions that appears the modus operandi...

Edit: email just hit my inbox. I didn't meet the vendors reserve. Expected as my bid was well short of the price they recently had it listed on Gumtree for. Sigh...

That Lloyds auction has ended by the look of it? Any way to tell if the sale actually went through or not? Or do you have to wait until it gets relisted if it hasn't hit the seller's reserve? Interesting seeing it only get up to 30k. I know it has high Km's but it is the turbo model, which people have listed starting at around 40k-50k. If only they could see that they're not selling for even 30k they might reconsider their asking prices.

My first time on the Lloyds roundabout. No sign during or at auctions end if there is a reserve. Lot was just marked as Auction closed and Your bid is leading.

Received an email hours later saying close but no cigar - final bid was below the sellers reserve and that Lloyds will contact the seller to see if they will accept my bid.

No mention if there is a chance to negotiate and agree on a price or if it will just get relisted. I am expecting the later...

I expect given the difference between the final auction bid and what the 944 is listed for on carsales that it will reappear in a future auction.

8 hours ago, Dalai said:

My first time on the Lloyds roundabout. No sign during or at auctions end if there is a reserve. Lot was just marked as Auction closed and Your bid is leading.

Received an email hours later saying close but no cigar - final bid was below the sellers reserve and that Lloyds will contact the seller to see if they will accept my bid.

No mention if there is a chance to negotiate and agree on a price or if it will just get relisted. I am expecting the later...

I expect given the difference between the final auction bid and what the 944 is listed for on carsales that it will reappear in a future auction.

This is very common on Lloyds, I don't bother bidding on any of their auctions anymore. A few of the other car auction sites have the same model and it's stupid. It says to me that they're fishing to see what it will get to and if it goes crazy then sell, and if not then nothing lost

Grays and Shannons seem to be able to tell you if there is a reserve or not, and if the reserve has or hasn't been met. Surely the others can too

6 hours ago, JLD said:

This is very common on Lloyds, I don't bother bidding on any of their auctions anymore.

Will see how this pans out, but have a feeling that this might be the first and last time I bid on Lloyds...

If Lloyds posted live details if the reserve hasn't been reached I would expect that they would get more bids and sales, as those keen would be willing to keep bidding if the reserve was fair.