I know the seller (briefly). He bought it 2 months ago for $6k. Car was offered for sale on Gumtree and was discussed here too.  The current seller spoke to me at length when I had my S4 for sale and bought this 5 minutes after getting off the phone with me. 

I know the seller (briefly). He bought it 2 months ago for $6k. Car was offered for sale on Gumtree and was discussed here too.  The current seller spoke to me at length when I had my S4 for sale and bought this 5 minutes after getting off the phone with me. 

Trying to make a quick buck! The more I look at it the more it looks like a US car, although who would convert one of these?

I called up, very deceptive selling, the Mother and the son both very short on info, not keen on inspections, even a question asking if the engine even cranks was answered with stonewalling, then the son calls me and tries to start a Dutch auction, I told him I'm not interested.

By the way they are behaving I feel there is a blown or seized engine and they are playing dumb.

Price now increased! Very dodgy practices going on here.....

spoke to the guy yesterday, nice chap.

Imported (source unknown but likely Japan or UK?) RHD car, unregistered and not running. Starts but dies straight away. Electrical issues that he can't track down but thinks ECU failure.  Half fuse box working, half not.

He bought it as a project and has completed new suspension, brakes and injectors.

Haven't seen the car but told the interior is OK, drivers seat showing age, rear quarter panels need replacing but he has replacements I think. 

Scrapes on rear and front bumpers...

Could be an easy fix or could be a nightmare, who knows!

spoke to the guy yesterday, nice chap.

Imported (source unknown but likely Japan or UK?) RHD car, unregistered and not running. Starts but dies straight away. Electrical issues that he can't track down but thinks ECU failure.  Half fuse box working, half not.

He bought it as a project and has completed new suspension, brakes and injectors.

Haven't seen the car but told the interior is OK, drivers seat showing age, rear quarter panels need replacing but he has replacements I think. 

Scrapes on rear and front bumpers...

Could be an easy fix or could be a nightmare, who knows!

What does he mean by ECU failure? Electrically K jet 928s are fairly simple, for a 928!

So only $20k away from being a $10k car :P

Edited by ANF
oops typo!

I'm looking at an S4, imported from the UK early 90s.  Guy insists the UK Spec was better than australian delivered 928S4s.  Does anyone know whether UK imported 928s are inherently 'riskier' than australian delivered examples?  Car has full service history and low mileage.  Thanks 

I'm looking at an S4, imported from the UK early 90s.  Guy insists the UK Spec was better than australian delivered 928S4s.  Does anyone know whether UK imported 928s are inherently 'riskier' than australian delivered examples?  Car has full service history and low mileage.  Thanks 

yikes.....ANF will have something to say about this.....run for cover...........

The UK cars are alleged to have more power.

Trying to make a quick buck! The more I look at it the more it looks like a US car, although who would convert one of these?

Price now increased! Very dodgy practices going on here.....

quite a few were brought in and converted - remember 30 years ago they were still a $100k plus car and the dollar was weak against the  Deutsche Mark so if you owned one overseas or had access to a car to personally import it made financial sense

agree with @kgb - likely a little more power as they were tuned for better fuel availability than we had in the 80's. 

Uk or Australian delivered they all came from the same factory - judge each car based on its condition and service history. Yes they have salty roads but we have baking heat that destroyed the fragile interiors of the 928s and baked them brittle. I have seen a few U.K. 928s up close and they were very well kept and had not been driven in winter 

There are three years where the 928 had slightly less power - 1985, 1987 and 1988. All the carsales hype about being better because it is a UK import is B.S.! The 1986 engine was also diff to UK, but same as most other places, including Germany.

Aus delivered cars are usually held in higher esteem, this is predominantly related to rust and the unknown histories of imports - I had to laugh today at one seller claiming that rust is not an issue with UK 928s due to them being aluminium, true some parts are aluminium (bonnet, doors and front guards) but the rest is like any Porsche of the day galvanised steel.

Believe what you will, but I would ask them to prove any of their claims.......

yikes.....ANF will have something to say about this.....run for cover...........

Maybe Jason , but I am a bit over it, I am going to enjoy my 1983 928 knowing that it has the same engine as the other R.O.W. cars :)

quite a few were brought in and converted - remember 30 years ago they were still a $100k plus car and the dollar was weak against the  Deutsche Mark so if you owned one overseas or had access to a car to personally import it made financial sense

True, they were a very expensive car. Buyer beware the US version DID have reduced power, sometimes up to 70 hp!!

As @Ozvino said buy on condition, simple!

Edited by ANF

That's now sold too... how much was it?

$20K and had over 300K kms from memory, nice colour combo

Yes $20k and looked very nice inside, 304km, for that money just drive and enjoy (after doing timing belt...) :)

what's going on here?  an S in S4 clothing?  No engine photos but states 4.7L. Looks to be S seats, S steering wheel, S interior. Nice pasha BTW

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4645938?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA

yours, confused

Definitely an earlier model. Not that hard to do as all the panels just bolt up, have seen it done a few times. Narrower rear wheels is also a give away. Hard to price as it is neither an S4 or an early one......??? A forward date 928 :P

I have also seen on the web people proclaiming to "back date" 928s to the non S early style...... :wacko:

It's a South African import ... no clue about anything 928 (except they look and sound BOSS) so not sure if that's got anything to do with it?

How do you know that?

No has nothing to do with it, the front and rear it is fitted with did not come out until 1987....

In this whole import vs Aus debate, yeah I know I am going on...... it is known that we had lower quality fuel in the 80s, so would our cars now run better with our better fuel of today, logic would have to say so....

Also a car that was imported direct to here soon after manufacture that was tuned for euro fuels, would if suffer any from ruining on our fuel?

all too confusing now, I am off for a drive with the PFA Tassie Touring crew :D

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't looked for a while but just noticed the white GTS with the replacement donk @ $69k and the aventurine green GTS @ $95k are both gone from carsales.

White GTS been gone a few weeks the other one even longer I think. You in the market for another B)