reports from normally rational PFA'ers like Edgy saying he quite liked the manual 928 experience.    

Me rational? :lol: 

I've never driven an Auto 928 to compare so don't take my word as gospel, I love rowing gears, and whilst I can see the appeal of an auto 928, I can't help but feel that I'd be jaded by such a car. 

Ok.. I own an 87 S4 928 Manual, Ive also owned an 81S auto, and even been for a ride in a 928 GTS 5 speed....

As far as I am aware, it is the early manual cars that have the "weird" gear change. Hopefully Bruce Buchanen will chime in and confirm or explain this. 

Porsche continually improved the 928 for many years. I like the gear change in my S4. Its not snick snick like a modern car, it is certainly a longer throw than a modern manual car is, but it feels lovely, I never miss gears, its beautifully weighted, and superbly positioned. I will say, that compared to the auto you need to plan when your overtakes a bit better, drop it back a gear (or two) and then bang in the power.. in the auto it you just mashed the pedal down and the car leaps forward like a coiled spring. 

Its easy to forget the colossal acceleration these cars are capable of. I dont always unleash it, sadly, but when I do its impressive, and sounds better than the auto as it maxes out through the gears, instead of just gaining revs and speed. 

My car has the harder sports suspension in it, and 18 inch rims. I sort of wish I kept the 17`s. The ride is a lot harsher than the S is on 16`s (obviously) and in some ways the S is also more relaxing car to drive on a long run. With the sports suspension, larger rims, and manual box the S4 isnt quite a GT car, and isnt quite a sports car... It is still bloody fantastic though.

The GTS I rode in to be honest didnt feel that spectacular, maybe I was expecting more. The GTS is, however, one of the best looking cars ever made. The stance of a 928 is great to begin with, and the GTS with those big fat rear flared guards is near perfection.  

Sometimes I think about selling the S4, but then I look at it, drive it as its makers intended and wonder what could I buy that is german for that money? A flogged to death M3 probably. The 928 is a unique vehicle, its relatively rare, its beautiful, its fast, its comfortable, and unusually for an 80`s "supercar" you can fit a large amount of luggage in it.

I dearly hope that dont go through a rise in value boom like the 911 did, I want to drive it and enjoy it.  

The GTS I rode in to be honest didnt feel that spectacular, maybe I was expecting more. The GTS is, however, one of the best looking cars ever made. The stance of a 928 is great to begin with, and the GTS with those big fat rear flared guards is near perfection. 

Ah, yes.  So capable it can perhaps feel unspectacular.

I'm assuming it's the price.  But maybe someone knows something I don't!

Adam,

I'm assuming it's a non matching original serial number rather that a non matching replacement engine?

So "Mr 928 Market Watch" what do reckon it's worth?:)

I did not see this before Peter.... but picking through the 928 slim pickings this fine morning, this car has stood out as the pick of the litter to me..... the new engine should not really be an issue, it is not a 911 after all :P (https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1993/SSE-AD-3539245/?Cr=2)

What it is worth here is a hard one, what it is worth overseas is easier, it would most likely be sold by now! I think it should be worth the asking, but say $60k due to engine and I think you would have a very nice deal :) I would seriously consider it for that money if I had that money :D

Tell me is the Aus delivered car that shithouse in terms of performance and go over an imports??  Or do you buy a Aus car and let it breathe ?

Do not believe all the add hysteria! Only Aus 928 that copped lower comp ratio was the 85 model (down about 25hp ~275 vs 300 - 9.3:1 CR instead of 10.0:1 CR), earlier than '85 had less advance on the timing (easily restored with another vacuum hose connected), otherwise identical and rated same hp. 86 had the quad cam 5.0 litre which had lower 288 hp than subsequent S4s (300hp). Post 86 all the same.

So no, Aussie cars are no worse off. Just carsales BS to try and shift their imports!!

Tell me is the Aus delivered car that shithouse in terms of performance and go over an imports??  Or do you buy a Aus car and let it breathe ?

My GTS sucks in small furry animals.

Do not believe all the add hysteria! Only Aus 928 that copped lower comp ratio was the 85 model (down about 25hp ~275 vs 300 - 9.3:1 CR instead of 10.0:1 CR), earlier than '85 had less advance on the timing (easily restored with another vacuum hose connected), otherwise identical and rated same hp. 86 had the quad cam 5.0 litre which had lower 288 hp than subsequent S4s (300hp). Post 86 all the same.

So no, Aussie cars are no worse off. Just carsales BS to try and shift their imports!!

Could be a good one https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1983/SSE-AD-4567321/?Cr=3

Someone has fitted wider rear wheels. Does anyone know if any of these pre S4 cars are selling for anywhere near what people are asking? :unsure:

I don't think it would be a very regrettable sale if he gets $25k for it!