I see that lovely grey $60k S4 at CTS is under offer.  Pity, as I was keen to have a squiz when I was down theer next.

I think we might under estimate the market for good, clean, reasonable mileage cars of any type that present well and don't need any work.

Edited by Peter M

I see that lovely grey $60k S4 at CTS is under offer.  Pity, as I was keen to have a squiz when I was down theer next.

I think we might under estimate the market for good, clean, reasonable mileage cars of any type that present well and don't need any work.

I saw it Saturday, looked clean, fair pricing, after a $5k arm wrestle, in my estimation.

*NOTE; vested interest in 928 values climbing, but no association whatsoever.

*NOTE; vested interest in 928 values climbing

I can't see how really clean reasonable mileage one can't continue to climb.  Not everyone can afford a $130k Carrera 3.2 so they naturally start looking at that other cars they had on their bedroom wall.  At less than half the price they have to be a contender.

I can't see how really clean reasonable mileage one can't continue to climb.  Not everyone can afford a $130k Carrera 3.2 so they naturally start looking at that other cars they had on their bedroom wall.  At less than half the price they have to be a contender.

Who could ever question such wisdom?

Fangirl

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/history/porsche-history-investment-model-928-s4-transaxle-version-13324.html

Pia Beckmann has exactly what she desires; the 928 is all the sportscar she needs. Once she's finished her exams, she's due to start training to become a public administration officer. And she's already proven she's got a head for figures. This car will not drop in value; its worth will increase dramatically in the years to come. Which makes it even more fun to cruise along the highways of northern Germany at the weekends, showing the old guys what good taste means to the younger generation.

Love it! I am sure a lot of us could have realised our dreams much earlier than we did if not for other silly ideas..... :rolleyes:

Lost on todays youth.... "The car's 15" or even 16" aluminium alloy perforated disc wheels were ridiculed for their design, and accused of looking like telephone dials. In today's age of smartphones, no-one would even contemplate this kind of smear, but at the time the name stuck among the naysayers and traditionalists."

Wisdom?.......from a man who lost his cherry in a Volvo? 

Where did you pluck that idea from? Must be the heat in the big smoke! Suggest a gin & tonic each evening to calm the madness. A Very English Tradition.

Meanwhile KGB can refill his Volvo er vodka shot glass.

I'm assuming it's the price.  But maybe someone knows something I don't!

Non matching replacement engine may be it?

Adam,

I'm assuming it's a non matching original serial number rather that a non matching replacement engine?

So "Mr 928 Market Watch" what do reckon it's worth?:)

Edited by Peter M

You mean being a manual?

There is also a nice '87 manual for sale too at the moment.

I'm ambivalent about the prospect of owning a 928 manual.

Sure, they're rare which for some illogical reason means to many people they're especially desirable but if you read any of the road tests conducted on these cars at the time, they always describe the gear change as less that satisfactory.  There is even Alan Hamilton being quoted in a 1986 Wheels magazine as describing anyone who buys a manual as a "dill".  Sure, I understand the gearboxes were continually improved as the type matured, but even Brian Long in his book was less that impressed, even at the end.

Then we have Matt Farrah in his Smoking Tyre drive describing the change as fine as long as the change is performed slowly and other reports from normally rational PFA'ers like Edgy saying he quite liked the manual 928 experience.

Maybe its just the case that we adapt and enjoy whatever we have as it really isn't that critical in the scheme of things, be it 915, Sporto, Tiptronic, G50 or PDK. 

My GTS is converted to manual. It has a short shift which I think I'll eventually get rid of for a normal throw.

The shift is solid and a bit clunky. But it's not bad. I think mine would improve without the short shift.

I haven't driven an automatic 928...I can see the appeal for such a car though. I should try one one day I guess.

I wouldn't have bought mine if it were auto though - whether that's irrational or not, I just like manual cars.

With the dogleg, the 2-3-2-3-2-3-2 up/down shifts around twisty roads is a joy. And the sound of the V8 as you blip the throttle on the down change is addictive. Much better control and immediate response than I think an auto could deliver.

I suspect the auto box for mine will live the rest of its life on the shelf.

You mean being a manual?

There is also a nice '87 manual for sale too at the moment.

I'm ambivalent about the prospect of owning a 928 manual.

Sure, they're rare which for some illogical reason means to many people they're especially desirable but if you read any of the road tests conducted on these cars at the time, they always describe the gear change as less that satisfactory.  There is even Alan Hamilton being quoted in a 1986 Wheels magazine as describing anyone who buys a manual as a "dill".  Sure, I understand the gearboxes were continually improved as the type matured, but even Brian Long in his book was less that impressed, even at the end.

Then we have Matt Farrah in his Smoking Tyre drive describing the change as fine as long as the change is performed slowly and other reports from normally rational PFA'ers like Edgy saying he quite liked the manual 928 experience.

Maybe its just the case that we adapt and enjoy whatever we have as it really isn't that critical in the scheme of things, be it 915, Sporto, Tiptronic, G50 or PDK. 

No, no, no Peter! You cannot use logic like that when you are talking Porsche! 100% correct but illogical ;)

Well mine is the 3 speed auto version and I love it, and I even drive it manually, the torque of the v8 really suits the auto and the way I drive it. First is very tall and hampers acceleration but so? I have not driven a manual but I imagine they are ok, one was never on my radar due to my left knee!

My aim is to maybe update to a 4 speed auto but keep my diff, accel problems would be solved :) 

My dream is to put in a Merc 5 speed auto, pretty sure it will fit just need to figure out the electronics.... 

With the dogleg, the 2-3-2-3-2-3-2 up/down shifts around twisty roads is a joy. And the sound of the V8 as you blip the throttle on the down change is addictive.

Gut,

I can't argue with that!

Much better control and immediate response than I think an auto could deliver.

Assuming the 4 speeds have lock up torque converters like the 4 speed Tiptronics of the same era you'll be pleasantly surprised how responsive and directly connected the feel is between the engine and the rear wheels.  Very much like a manual.

Where the autos are limited is in having to cope with 4 widely spaced ratios where having an extra would help you match the ratio to the particular road condition at the time.

Edited by Peter M

I wouldn't have bought mine if it were auto though - whether that's irrational or not, I just like manual cars.

With the dogleg, the 2-3-2-3-2-3-2 up/down shifts around twisty roads is a joy. And the sound of the V8 as you blip the throttle on the down change is addictive. Much better control and immediate response than I think an auto could deliver.

Same here. Wouldn't have considered an auto, and the manual is is no way bad to use. It takes a bit of time to get used to, but then all good things are worth a bit of investment - getting the shift right, every time, is one of them in my book. The dogleg does make the 1-2 shift a little longer than ideal but so what, its a technique to learn, and improve.

I don't think there's as clear a gap in the market with the 928 regarding manuals and autos as there are with other cars, such as 944/68 or other marques. Its a car that suits either and is therefore appealing to a broader market, albeit one that wants a 20-40 year-old German 2+2 with a big engine. 

Assuming the 4 speeds have lock up torque converters like the 4 speed Tiptronics of the same era you'll be pleasantly surprised how responsive and directly connected the feel is between the engine and the rear wheels.  Very much like a manual.

I'm wrong!

The autos in all 928's didn't have lock up torque converters like the Tiptronics and every other automatic has since about the mid 90's.  Consequently I understand why some find the disconnected feel between engine speed and road speed a little odd at first.  

I guess that also why the Tiptronic's were heralded as technological wonders when released in the 964's.

I'm wrong!

The autos in all 928's didn't have lock up torque converters like the Tiptronics and every other automatic has since about the mid 90's.  Consequently I understand why some find the disconnected feel between engine speed and road speed a little odd at first.  

I guess that also why the Tiptronic's were heralded as technological wonders when released in the 964's.

Where the autos are limited is in having to cope with 4 widely spaced ratios where having an extra would help you match the ratio to the particular road condition at the time.

You are over thinking it now Peter :)

Just drive one, auto or manual, you will love it :D