I think the series 1 cars end up as orphans based on the comments others have made - standard 911 engine, not a race one. They also grenaded a heap of them at the start and ended up with new engines.

The series 2 car has the new cup car engine in it, longer term they'll hold better value resale wise due to this and the 997s have the Mezger

• 2 weeks later...

After spending a bit of time at Performance Developments and seeing the internal design of the 991.1 GT3 engine, and Porsche's "fix". I think they will continue to take a dive. 

Basically the issue is lack of oil on the cams and finger followers, and all Porsche did for the 'fix' is to add a better hardening to the cams and finger followers. This is not actually addressing the problem, it just means that they will last a bit longer before they eventually fail. 

PD's fix is not a cheap one, it requires the heads to have some detailed machining and replacement finger followers and cams. I believe it is going to cost around $40k US to get it done. So I suppose if you factor in that fix, what price does it make the cars a worth while option...

They were mid 4's on the road if you ticked around 30K of options

Just on the engine issues with 991.1 GT3 is this a problem with street driven cars or does it only effect hard driven track cars ,,,I honestly would no think that if I was using a 991.1 GT3 as a week end driver like I do with my current 997 S that I would have the engine at such a sustained high RPM range to create the lack of oil on the cams and finger followers,,,I have been trying to research this on other forums but so far have come up with limited posts about street driven cars with this issue ....?? I will also point out 997 IMS issues and Bore scoring all know problems with that model yet it only seems to effect a small percentage of cars ,,,,just trying to gauge if this is a similar small percentage of 991.1 GT3 engines or a majority ...

I have also been watching these prices and think the release of the New 991.2 GT3 is responsible for the price move ...........Know if only the 911R flippers would get the message that the ship has sailed on doubling there money on the original sales price ....:D

There is a guy on Rennlist Putting a 911R box to a 991 GT3 RS the biggest drama they are having is rewriting all of the cars computers to tell them that a clutch and manual transmission are know fitted in the car apparently this is a major headache ...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/989225-1-of-1-manual-991-gt3rs-the-car-porsche-didn-t-build-but-i-did.html

Manual to replace PDK.  Mmmm.  That's like contemplating penile reduction ...

Manual to replace PDK.  Mmmm.  That's like contemplating penile reduction ...

If you get a chance have a look at the thread it is interesting to read of the soft ware and computer issues they over came to make it work and there is video of the finished conversion ,,the biggest hurdle was telling the car it was now a manual ...

Also mate what are your thoughts on the 991.1 GT3 engine issues and if this would be a problem in the future for a potential buy,r ...???

Edited by Raven

After spending a bit of time at Performance Developments and seeing the internal design of the 991.1 GT3 engine, and Porsche's "fix". I think they will continue to take a dive. 

Basically the issue is lack of oil on the cams and finger followers, and all Porsche did for the 'fix' is to add a better hardening to the cams and finger followers. This is not actually addressing the problem, it just means that they will last a bit longer before they eventually fail. 

PD's fix is not a cheap one, it requires the heads to have some detailed machining and replacement finger followers and cams. I believe it is going to cost around $40k US to get it done. So I suppose if you factor in that fix, what price does it make the cars a worth while option...

This engine issue can only be fixed by Lawyers. I wouldn`t be surprised if all the .1s eventually end up with .2 motors,(if they work out OK in the real world) ,as people are by now aware of the problem, and will be maintaining their warranty until the issue is sorted.

Just on the engine issues with 991.1 GT3 is this a problem with street driven cars or does it only effect hard driven track cars ,,,I honestly would no think that if I was using a 991.1 GT3 as a week end driver like I do with my current 997 S that I would have the engine at such a sustained high RPM range to create the lack of oil on the cams and finger followers,,,I have been trying to research this on other forums but so far have come up with limited posts about street driven cars with this issue ....?? I will also point out 997 IMS issues and Bore scoring all know problems with that model yet it only seems to effect a small percentage of cars ,,,,just trying to gauge if this is a similar small percentage of 991.1 GT3 engines or a majority ...

If you actually see the design issues, it is will ALL of them. Including the GT3, GT3RS and the 911R. It is not a track related issue, although that may speed up the process, but it is a big issue. The issue is basically the oil is squirted up from the bottom of the head to the cams. The bottom cam gets a bit but the top cam gets very little. The other issue being, that the hydralic finger followers are pressed hard against the cam at all times, as opposed to normal where there is a tiny gap to allow oil to get between. Basically from what I have seen, any driving will be slowly wearing away at the cams and finger followers. 

This engine issue can only be fixed by Lawyers. I wouldn`t be surprised if all the .1s eventually end up with .2 motors,(if they work out OK in the real world) ,as people are by now aware of the problem, and will be maintaining their warranty until the issue is sorted.

That may be the case, but it hasn't happened yet. We will see what happens.

So none of them will be matching numbers.... :ph34r::lol:

Looks like my intention of owning a 991 GT3 may have to wait ,,;) I was also keen on a GT4 but an associate of mine tracked his last weekend and the gear box crapped its self ,,,this seems to be an issue on the GT4 ,s ................such as first world problem when you cannot by a late model P Car :D

Edited by Raven

Looks like my intention of owning a 991 GT3 may have to wait ,,;) I was also keen on a GT4 but an associate of mine tracked his last weekend and the gear box crapped its self ,,,this seems to be an issue on the GT4 ,s ................such as first world problem when you cannot by a late model P Car :D

the transmission issue on the GT4 appears to be only on a certain build period during 2016. The early cars don't seem to have had any issue. It's to do with a weld on the third gear not being up to spec apparently. Is it Warwick Morris's car?

Yeh I was at SMSP last weekend competing in another class and was very surprised it happened to him,,,,sure warranty will cover it for him ,,,just a hassle and some what embarrassing ....kinda put me of the GT4 unfortunately ...near new $200K car and a gear fails ,,,just not cool :rolleyes:

Edited by Raven

If you get a chance have a look at the thread it is interesting to read of the soft ware and computer issues they over came to make it work and there is video of the finished conversion ,,the biggest hurdle was telling the car it was now a manual ...

Also mate what are your thoughts on the 991.1 GT3 engine issues and if this would be a problem in the future for a potential buy,r ...???

I'll do that for sure.

As for the engine issues reported, I suspect that given these cars tend to be held by their owners for some time, those cars that actually do show signs will be dealt with and those that don't won't. 

I don't profess to be absolutely on top of all that is reported to be sinful with them but for my part, I take the view that it would be wrong to assume things will inevitably happen.  I'd look at a car thats had regular use, all oil regular services done etc.  

I'm one of those nerds that changes oil every 10K or 12 months if they don't get to 10K. Not saying that this will prevent anything.

Would I buy a 991.1 GT3 seeing what I've read.  Yes, for sure.  I talk to loads of people in the trade and from the factory and the only place I see deep discussion about the various reported issues is on forums.  Not seeing or hearing anything first hand. 

So, in summary, I have no idea! ??

This engine issue can only be fixed by Lawyers.

Mate, I can't fit the seats to my 2.4S so not sure you should look at me to sort out a long term fix ...

I'll do that for sure.

As for the engine issues reported, I suspect that given these cars tend to be held by their owners for some time, those cars that actually do show signs will be dealt with and those that don't won't. 

I don't profess to be absolutely on top of all that is reported to be sinful with them but for my part, I take the view that it would be wrong to assume things will inevitably happen.  I'd look at a car thats had regular use, all oil regular services done etc.  

I'm one of those nerds that changes oil every 10K or 12 months if they don't get to 10K. Not saying that this will prevent anything.

Would I buy a 991.1 GT3 seeing what I've read.  Yes, for sure.  I talk to loads of people in the trade and from the factory and the only place I see deep discussion about the various reported issues is on forums.  Not seeing or hearing anything first hand. 

So, in summary, I have no idea! ??

Mate, I can't fit the seats to my 2.4S so not sure you should look at me to sort out a long term fix ...

stick do doing what you do best

If you follow the issue on rennlist it is the track driven cars that are grenading. They are all susceptible though, this isn't a black magic maybe it will maybe it won't, by all accounts it's a serious design fault.

• 2 weeks later...