29 minutes ago, DJM said:

With .1s at mid 200s and .2s starting to dip under 300k, I’d have thought a 991.1 looks pretty unappealing no matter the warranty.  If you get stuck with a failed engine outside of warranty, the repair cost is probably double that price gap.  And as stated by others many times, maintaining an inferior design and just hardening the suspect bits may not solve the problem for the long term.  

That’s why I’ve decided not be be tempted by a .1.  I can only seem them falling further and taking a dive once engine warranties start to expire.

meanwhile, check this out.  Stef had a 991.1 GT3 and managed 1:41s, he’s now got a 991.2 GT3 RS and 1:39 out of the box on his first attempt.  Wow!

https://youtu.be/GUcu4SG2xAI

That’s an expensive two seconds 

1 hour ago, Scott SS964 said:

On Warranties,

It is a must in my opinion if you own a 991.1 GT3 to keep your extended warranty current given the engine issues with the E and F series engines.

This is the 1st time I have actually seen photos of the finger follow damage leading to the high RPM misfires, these photos are from an E series engine with 22,500kms. I not going to speculate on specific history of the car other than to say the owner stated that he has only tracked the car once.

Porsche replaced the engine inside a week with the latest G series engine.

My understanding is that the fix in the G series engine is that Porsche has changed supplier of these faulty components and has strengthened them by applying a  "different hardening/process to these parts".

Does anyone in the know have further information on what else has been done to rectify this issue? Have they increased the oil flow/circulation to this area? etc..

23998FA0-A4BC-4E4F-A573-5B2BD4645633.jpeg

7B5F296A-3DD8-4C3B-B962-589610B33118.jpeg

BE6712D4-4B5F-4EAA-BC51-3BE648710D8B.jpeg

From what I understand the hardening is Porsche's 'fix'. After looking at the head on the bench and looking at the detail that went into Performance Developments solution, which does involve added oiling, it is quite involved, and a lot of modification. I doubt Porsche have gone that far, just warrant them a bit longer and then wipe their hands of it.

I’ve seen enough 991.1’s (including RS versions) engines fail to confirm for me that their issues aren’t just a rumour that’s gone viral. Unfortunately it’s a very real issue that fortunately Porsche themselves acknowledge. I believe a replacement engine is circa 60k. 

@DJM 991.2 STD GT3 has essentially the same power and in a manual is lighter than a 991.1 RS. Just saying. ;)

8 minutes ago, hugh said:

I’ve seen enough 991.1’s (including RS versions) engines fail to confirm for me that their issues aren’t just a rumour that’s gone viral. Unfortunately it’s a very real issue that fortunately Porsche themselves acknowledge. I believe a replacement engine is circa 60k. 

@DJM 991.2 STD GT3 has essentially the same power and in a manual is lighter than a 991.1 RS. Just saying. ;)

You would think that given Porsche are replacing the faulty engine units that they would do what ever it took to adapt the 4L engine to fit the 991.1 and just drop them in and be done with it everyone is happy!!!

8 minutes ago, Scott SS964 said:

You would think that given Porsche are replacing the faulty engine units that they would do what ever it took to adapt the 4L engine to fit the 991.1 and just drop them in and be done with it everyone is happy!!!

Porsche is more forward thinking than that. After the warranty is up, they will be able to continue to make money selling new heads and wear items for these forever ;)

58 minutes ago, DJM said:

$100k ish per second?  But 1:39 in a stock road car on road tyres is astonishing.  

I actually did a 1.41 on a stock $30,000 Ducati it was a much cheaper option . Getting anywhere into the 30, s around the island is impressive 

2C7E2A9F-F725-4382-8DAD-2B16C041ABBF.jpeg

4 hours ago, hugh said:

Add labour and ancillaries etc and I assume it’d be closer to 100k.  When my GT2 engine went bang what 4 years ago, PCM quoted ~90k over the phone for a short engine swap.  Chances are it’d have gone north from there.  

4 hours ago, hugh said:

Correct.  Might lack the last couple of % in steering and handling compared to an RS  but for the average punter and given the price delta, it’s “enough”.  Less shouty too.  Having watched quite a few vids of late, manual is probably the go notwithstanding slightly slower lap times.

I’ll keep my powder dry and get through a busy period ahead but one day I might just be lurking at Tacoma Maccas in a 991.2 early one Sunday.......😂

On 27/01/2020 at 06:27, DJM said:

With .1s at mid 200s and .2s starting to dip under 300k, I’d have thought a 991.1 looks pretty unappealing no matter the warranty.  If you get stuck with a failed engine outside of warranty, the repair cost is probably double that price gap.  And as stated by others many times, maintaining an inferior design and just hardening the suspect bits may not solve the problem for the long term.  

That’s why I’ve decided not be be tempted by a .1.  I can only seem them falling further and taking a dive once engine warranties start to expire.

meanwhile, check this out.  Stef had a 991.1 GT3 and managed 1:41s, he’s now got a 991.2 GT3 RS and 1:39 out of the box on his first attempt.  Wow!

https://youtu.be/GUcu4SG2xAI

I love the look of the 991.1 and prefer it to the look of the 991.2 but you are right about not being tempted.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what is going on with the Miami blue mk2 in QLD with AZ KIKR plates.  It disappeared off the market to arrive at Duttons by the look of it ($20k cheaper), but the owner still has it listed.  Also the plates are also shown on a Carrera in another ad.  Maybe the GT3 shouldn't be listed now and plates have been transferred?

Check out this 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 991 Auto MY18. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-Porsche-911-GT3-991-Auto-MY18/SSE-AD-5998076

Check out this 2017 Porsche 911 GT3 991 Auto MY18. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2017-Porsche-911-GT3-991-Auto-MY18/AGC-AD-6896975

Check out this 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S 991 Auto. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2012-Porsche-911-Carrera-S-991-Auto/SSE-AD-4107589

4 hours ago, NBTBRV8 said:

Not sure what is going on with the Miami blue mk2 in QLD with AZ KIKR plates.  It disappeared off the market to arrive at Duttons by the look of it ($20k cheaper), but the owner still has it listed.  Also the plates are also shown on a Carrera in another ad.  Maybe the GT3 shouldn't be listed now and plates have been transferred?

Check out this 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 991 Auto MY18. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-Porsche-911-GT3-991-Auto-MY18/SSE-AD-5998076

Check out this 2017 Porsche 911 GT3 991 Auto MY18. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2017-Porsche-911-GT3-991-Auto-MY18/AGC-AD-6896975

Check out this 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S 991 Auto. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2012-Porsche-911-Carrera-S-991-Auto/SSE-AD-4107589

Well you have flushed something out of hiding.   Both private ads no longer live.

Lots and lots of opinions on Pistonheads regarding the rapidly diminishing 10 year warranty (now down to ~ 4 years) and how long you dare keep your 991.1 before the massive depreciation hits home and you can't sell the car for love or money.

Someone posted up a cost of about +/- $90,000 (iirc) for a replacement motor if it needed replacing after the warranty lapses, so your Coronavirus comment may be appropriate.....

16 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Lots and lots of opinions on Pistonheads regarding the rapidly diminishing 10 year warranty (now down to ~ 4 years) and how long you dare keep your 991.1 before the massive depreciation hits home and you can't sell the car for love or money.

Someone posted up a cost of about +/- $90,000 (iirc) for a replacement motor if it needed replacing after the warranty lapses, so your Coronavirus comment may be appropriate.....

That is quite a costly exercise . I saw a 4.0 litre being parted out the other day with the motor being sold for low 30 K . Would have been a good proposition for a 3.8 owner

4 hours ago, wilson59 said:

Been watching this market a while now and it seems the 991.1 is as popular as Coronavirus .

They seem to sit quite some time while the 991.2 still seem to be selling  OK .

Is the bad run of motors going to be it's legacy ?

I watch it closely too and I don't think .2 cars are selling any faster.  Also look at the .1 RS market, just static.  I think it is just the state of the market.

24 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

I watch it closely too and I don't think .2 cars are selling any faster.  Also look at the .1 RS market, just static.  I think it is just the state of the market.

Yeah Nah . I think everything else is going . I have had a eye on plenty of .2 cars and they are all selling top of my head I can think of a half a dozen cars sold

Maybe the .1 RS market has the same stigma attached to it . I know those engines are being replaced as well

Not a lot left in the 996 /997 market either

12 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

Yeah Nah . I think everything else is going . I have had a eye on plenty of .2 cars and they are all selling top of my head I can think of a half a dozen cars sold

Maybe the .1 RS market has the same stigma attached to it . I know those engines are being replaced as well

Not a lot left in the 996 /997 market either

I can think of at least two .1 cars that have gone in the last month.  Many of the .2 cars have been for sale for months.  So I really don't think you can say that they are moving much faster.

14 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

Doesn't this look like a piece of sh!t, makes mine look even more of a bargain given the asking price.

Check out this 2015 Porsche 911 GT3 991 Auto MY15. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-Porsche-911-GT3-991-Auto-MY15/OAG-AD-18476307

At Nick Theodossi in Melb by the look of it...