• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

I see that the damaged green car is back on the market $20K dear than last listed.  I don't recall it having stripes before either.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2017-porsche-911-gt3-991-manual-my18/OAG-AD-18326754/?Cr=16

I remember this car when it was at BP Motor Co at Mortlake about 12 months ago ,,,,,, interesting that the car is just under $300K on the current sellers web site ......????? expensive decals 

https://australianmotoringgroup.com.au/car/porsche-911/

4 hours ago, NBTBRV8 said:

First sub $300k asking price for a clubsport. The wrap does nothing for me though.

Check out this 2017 Porsche 911 GT3 991 Auto MY18. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2017-Porsche-911-GT3-991-Auto-MY18/OAG-AD-18325572

Odd to order a black car then wrap it blue.  Second owner?  Or some more sinister reason?  I’d unwrap back to black and clear wrap the vulnerable bits.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a fun fact for you that the official dealer just confirmed for me.  If a car is out of new warranty and is sold by a non authorised dealer the used car warranty that was on it is cancelled.

If the car is sold by privately without the extended warranty, the new owner cannot take the car to the authorised dealer and have the inspection and buy the warranty.

In both purchase circumstances the only way the extended warranty can be put back on the car is by having the car presented to the authorised dealer by someone who owned the car whilst it was under warranty.  

This would be awkward if you didn't buy the car from them.

A definite consideration if you are in the market.

I was always under the impression the best practice was to not let the warranty lapse, as it's much easier to just renew, than to try and get it reinstated... I think a member here posted about a Cayman GT4 and the dealer wanted to charge for the warranty inspection! 

When i did the Macan Turbo last year, I took it for a warranty inspection and they found a bunch of things they wanted to rectify before extending the warranty for me... nil cost to me, and they totally took care of it, so I really think that is the best practice... not that you have this choice buying used cars with lapsed warranties, but still, it is such a painless experience I dont know why you'd neglect to do it. 

1 minute ago, edgy said:

I was always under the impression the best practice was to not let the warranty lapse, as it's much easier to just renew, than to try and get it reinstated... I think a member here posted about a Cayman GT4 and the dealer wanted to charge for the warranty inspection! 

When i did the Macan Turbo last year, I took it for a warranty inspection and they found a bunch of things they wanted to rectify before extending the warranty for me... nil cost to me, and they totally took care of it, so I really think that is the best practice... not that you have this choice buying used cars with lapsed warranties, but still, it is such a painless experience I dont know why you'd neglect to do it. 

As part of the warranty renewal there is a separate line for the labour to inspect the car, but it is all included in the price.

Buying used will be a problem from a non authorised dealer like Duttons.  There are a few like that and it becomes more of a problem as the cars get older.  Only one of the nineteen GT3s for sale at the moment is from an approved dealer.  Admittedly some will be still under new car warranty and some private owners will still have the warranty going (like me).

Also you're stuffed if you live in another state to the previous owner.  The chances of them agreeing to fly in for you would be remote.

4 hours ago, NBTBRV8 said:

Here is a fun fact for you that the official dealer just confirmed for me.  If a car is out of new warranty and is sold by a non authorised dealer the used car warranty that was on it is cancelled.

If the car is sold by privately without the extended warranty, the new owner cannot take the car to the authorised dealer and have the inspection and buy the warranty.

In both purchase circumstances the only way the extended warranty can be put back on the car is by having the car presented to the authorised dealer by someone who owned the car whilst it was under warranty.  

This would be awkward if you didn't buy the car from them.

A definite consideration if you are in the market.

ACCC compliant?  Sounds like a strategy to maintain used car market share.

On Warranties,

It is a must in my opinion if you own a 991.1 GT3 to keep your extended warranty current given the engine issues with the E and F series engines.

This is the 1st time I have actually seen photos of the finger follower damage leading to the high RPM misfires, these photos are from an E series engine with 22,500kms. I not going to speculate on specific history of the car other than to say the owner stated that he has only tracked the car once.

Porsche replaced the engine inside a week with the latest G series engine.

My understanding is that the fix in the G series engine is that Porsche has changed supplier of these faulty components and has strengthened them by applying a  "different hardening/process to these parts".

Does anyone in the know have further information on what else has been done to rectify this issue? Have they increased the oil flow/circulation to this area? etc..

23998FA0-A4BC-4E4F-A573-5B2BD4645633.jpeg

7B5F296A-3DD8-4C3B-B962-589610B33118.jpeg

BE6712D4-4B5F-4EAA-BC51-3BE648710D8B.jpeg

With .1s at mid 200s and .2s starting to dip under 300k, I’d have thought a 991.1 looks pretty unappealing no matter the warranty.  If you get stuck with a failed engine outside of warranty, the repair cost is probably double that price gap.  And as stated by others many times, maintaining an inferior design and just hardening the suspect bits may not solve the problem for the long term.  

That’s why I’ve decided not be be tempted by a .1.  I can only seem them falling further and taking a dive once engine warranties start to expire.

meanwhile, check this out.  Stef had a 991.1 GT3 and managed 1:41s, he’s now got a 991.2 GT3 RS and 1:39 out of the box on his first attempt.  Wow!

https://youtu.be/GUcu4SG2xAI