I've spoken to a couple of dealers now and none of them have mentioned it all.  The most they have said is that the market has corrected itself because they held their prices so well for so long.  There have been no reservations about the model at all.

On 19/08/2019 at 08:03, Scott SS964 said:

991.1 GT3 engine V RS engine -----

I would be clarifying what the many differences are here that he talks about here I have not been able to identify these to date other than the rev limit being 200 RPM lower.

It would be good to clarify if this general warranty extension includes the updated engine warranty that was extended to 10 years. My understanding is that they are different.......I am not sure though.

They are two different warranties,  the motor one expires first but you can continue with the approved used car warranty for the further five years.  In fact when you look at the dealer,s computer they are just listed as two separate warranties.

I was back at my dealer this morning, I asked this question since they offer the 15 year extendable manufacturer warranty (supposedly on ALL Porsche cars currently in warranty). 

The 10 year engine warranty stands for the motor, even if you let the manufacturer warranty expire on the car, they cover that engine for the 10 years. 

In the case of the 15 years warranty, it is offered on the whole car (engine inclusive) however you need to keep the warranty active the entire time. 

I hope this makes sense? ^^ 

It's good incentive to roll the dice on 991.1's IMO 

19 minutes ago, edgy said:

19 minutes ago, edgy said:

It's good incentive to roll the dice on 991.1's IMO 

I tend to agree, you just need to make sure the 991.1 GT3  you purchase has a current extended warranty and has had the continuous warranty through out its life; then if what you say is correct you have the engine covered for 15 years not 10. Which is comforting, however my concern still would lay around the value of the cars that don't have the extended warranty as they turn 8,9 and 10 years old, and how their values may effect /set values for all cars regardless. 

23 minutes ago, Scott SS964 said:

I tend to agree, you just need to make sure the 991.1 GT3  you purchase has a current extended warranty and has had the continuous warranty through out its life; then if what you say is correct you have the engine covered for 15 years not 10. Which is comforting, however my concern still would lay around the value of the cars that don't have the extended warranty as they turn 8,9 and 10 years old, and how their values may effect /set values for all cars regardless. 

Correct, you need to buy one still within cover period! 

Only time will tell, my guess is, by then the 3rd party shops will get good at fixing them and the markets will adjust accordingly? 

21 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

I would also add for peace of mind ideally you want a car with a G series motor too.

Good point!

I believe I read the PDK actually shifts at 8500 in the RS (this is from memory and its been a while since I was researching it), so it may be as much as 500 rpm lower for most cars being auto shifted.

There are two problems with this car that are going to dent values long term - the lack of a direct link to a motor sport engine, and the risk of an engine blow up. That said your average punter isn't going to know either of these things, and running to the shops for coffee on Sunday morning is not going to cause an issue in the next 10 years. Its the enthusiasts 5-10 years from now who are well informed that are going to tank these things. For the moment value will stay buoyant I should think.

The interesting thing to watch in all this is the 997.2 - how long before they're worth more than a 991.1?

To be honest though does anybody care that the engine wasn't a motorsport engine, I certainly don't.   It was developed by Porsche's motorsport department and goes really well and sounds great.
If it was a GT4 I could understand your argument as that isn't a motorsport engine and you can tell the difference in their character as a result.

5 minutes ago, sleazius said:

The interesting thing to watch in all this is the 997.2 - how long before they're worth more than a 991.1?

Not long IMHO. Fewer 997.2s on the market than 991.1s. I think the 991.1s are going to end up in a tough place between proven 997.2 & the “we’ve fixed it” 991.2.

1 hour ago, NBTBRV8 said:

To be honest though does anybody care that the engine wasn't a motorsport engine, I certainly don't.   It was developed by Porsche's motorsport department and goes really well and sounds great.
If it was a GT4 I could understand your argument as that isn't a motorsport engine and you can tell the difference in their character as a result.

Racing sorts out the weak point very quickly and if Porsche had raced the 991.1 engine they would have sorted its valve train issues before selling to the public.

The 991.1 engine has a road car style hydraulic clearance adjusters and crank lubrication. The 991.2 engine uses a better Motorsport style center feed crank lubrication and solid lifters as is the norm in Motorsport style engines.

Some will value the direct Motorsport link and some won't but it will reduce the buyer pool for 991.1.

36 minutes ago, Redracn said:

Racing sorts out the weak point very quickly and if Porsche had raced the 991.1 engine they would have sorted its valve train issues before selling to the public.

For those that may not know the 991.1 MotorSport Cup Cars used the Mezger engine as used in  the 997.2 Cup Car.

8 minutes ago, Scott SS964 said:

For those that may not know the 991.1 MotorSport Cup Cars used the Mezger engine as used in  the 997.2 Cup Car.

Yep It seems they could not convince the actual race engineers to use the 991.1 engine in 991.1 cup cars as they went with the proven Mezger. Would have been an interesting meeting between marketing wanting the new engine and the engineers saying no way will we use that road oriented unsuitable engine.

At least the engineers won that one. 👍

1 hour ago, Redracn said:

Yep It seems they could not convince the actual race engineers to use the 991.1 engine in 991.1 cup cars as they went with the proven Mezger. Would have been an interesting meeting between marketing wanting the new engine and the engineers saying no way will we use that road oriented unsuitable engine.

At least the engineers won that one. 👍

It was probably more like - <engineers> "race it if you want, but they're going to blow up, sounds like a marketing disaster to me" .... <marketing> *sulks in the corner*

19 minutes ago, sleazius said:

It was probably more like - <engineers> "race it if you want, but they're going to blow up, sounds like a marketing disaster to me" .... <marketing> *sulks in the corner*

👍 The accountants would also be consigned to the corner with the marketers. Especially given a repeat of the 991.1 engine debacle would be a real problem for the GT department so the 991.2 engine had to deliver no matter what.

It seems the accountants are in control of the 991.1 engine cam DLC coating durability improvement (I won't call it a fix) as it's cheaper to replace the engines as they blow up for 10 years than it is to recall and replace all 991.1 engines with a real fix (more expensive to build engine) 

19 hours ago, Redracn said:

The 991.2 engine uses a better Motorsport style center feed crank lubrication and solid lifters as is the norm in Motorsport style engines.

I am not aware that any of the earlier Mezger motorsprt engined GT3's / cup cars had solid lifters....  

My 996.2 has the hydraulic type and I assume the 997 variations were the same.

6 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

I am not aware that any of the earlier Mezger motorsprt engined GT3's / cup cars had solid lifters....  

My 996.2 has the hydraulic type and I assume the 997 variations were the same.

Does your 996.2 rev to 9000rpm?  Hydraulic lifters have their place but it is not at 9000rpm and up.

10 minutes ago, DJM said:

.2 GT3s are edging ever closer to sub $300k ex on roads 

$20k cheaper than the cheapest .1 RS

fc9b77053af1973d977ffa92e78faf1c.jpg?pxc_method=fitfill&pxc_width=480

2018 Porsche 911 GT3 991 Auto

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-Porsche-911-GT3-991-Auto-MY18/OAG-AD-17179650

Pity it's yellow . I actually really like this car

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-porsche-911-gt3-991-manual-my18/SSE-AD-6129844/?Cr=8

5 hours ago, NBTBRV8 said:

You can't judge the market by the cheapest car.  That yellow one is not a bad spec, only held back by the colour and maybe the higher kms for a GT3.

No you can’t but if I was to graph the prices over time the trend line is definitely declining albeit slowly. I remember seeing the first one around $340k now there are 10 cars at or below $340k.

The yellow one is about $305k EGC.

If 10,000km is “higher kms” then I’ll happily take the discount.   In my book that’s just run in and ready for a track flogging 👍🏻

6 hours ago, wilson59 said:

That would be prefect for weekends in the hills and I’ll have this one for the track days.  

56t63ckip2e6ubyssgzr5s8lw.jpg?pxc_method=fitfill&pxc_width=480

2018 Porsche 911 GT3 991 Auto MY18

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-Porsche-911-GT3-991-Auto-MY18/SSE-AD-5925948

59 minutes ago, DJM said:

No you can’t but if I was to graph the prices over time the trend line is definitely declining albeit slowly. I remember seeing the first one around $340k now there are 10 cars at or below $340k.

The yellow one is about $305k EGC.

If 10,000km is “higher kms” then I’ll happily take the discount.   In my book that’s just run in and ready for a track flogging 👍🏻

That would be prefect for weekends in the hills and I’ll have this one for the track days.  

56t63ckip2e6ubyssgzr5s8lw.jpg?pxc_method=fitfill&pxc_width=480

2018 Porsche 911 GT3 991 Auto MY18

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-Porsche-911-GT3-991-Auto-MY18/SSE-AD-5925948

I just looked up the duty that you would pay if purchasing a vehicle for $320,000 in Victoria - it is $28,840.70 😳

7 hours ago, wilson59 said:

Me too he's a great bloke that owns the touring as well a real car buff, he owns a few pubs down here on the Mornington Peninsula.

7 hours ago, DJM said:

.2 GT3s are edging ever closer to sub $300k ex on roads 

$20k cheaper than the cheapest .1 RS

fc9b77053af1973d977ffa92e78faf1c.jpg?pxc_method=fitfill&pxc_width=480

2018 Porsche 911 GT3 991 Auto

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-Porsche-911-GT3-991-Auto-MY18/OAG-AD-17179650

Just buy one Doug 20 grand here or there 😂😂😂 you only live once 

1 hour ago, Scott SS964 said:

Just buy one Doug 20 grand here or there 😂😂😂 you only live once 

I’d want an RS

if i sell my track car, that will cover the stamp duty 😂