4 hours ago, NBTBRV8 said:

Ex Lamborghini Brisbane/Nick Theodossi/Sydney City Prestige car back on the market today.  A few more kms and now with gold painted wheels.  Somebody posted on here that it was missing its books, but it doesn't appear to be.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-porsche-911-gt3-991-auto-my15/OAG-AD-17453634/?Cr=3

These things are getting so cheap now.  In the 8 months I've had mine, I've lost so much money, new car depreciation on a 4 year old car :(

What were they priced like 8 months ago?

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, NBTBRV8 said:

No not that, I've done 18,000km in nine months and always planned to sell it before 35,000kms which I will be at within six months.  So I am just starting to plan the transition.

So what next Gavin?

1 hour ago, NBTBRV8 said:

No not that, I've done 18,000km in nine months and always planned to sell it before 35,000kms which I will be at within six months.  So I am just starting to plan the transition.

Fair enough.

Did all 991.1 GT3s receive a new engine? or just a warranty?

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

So what next Gavin?

Until I get the money in my hand I can't quite be sure.  I normally alternate between cheap and expensive so I am due to go back in that direction.

2 hours ago, reggiegums said:

Fair enough.

Did all 991.1 GT3s receive a new engine? or just a warranty?

The 2014 cars that left the factory with the E series motor did, anything after that were replaced under warranty on as as needed basis.  The G series are the current motor.

1 hour ago, NBTBRV8 said:

Until I get the money in my hand I can't quite be sure.  I normally alternate between cheap and expensive so I am due to go back in that direction.

The 2014 cars that left the factory with the E series motor did, anything after that were replaced under warranty on as as needed basis.  The G series are the current motor.

Is there any literature on this? The articles online seem to have tainted all 991.1 GT3s as having issues with their motors. I think they are the best value Porsche GT car at the moment.

Porsche warranted all 991.1 GT3 engines based on research and pressure from Rennlist - its worldwide for 10 years

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/1005204-991-1-gt3-cog-our-meeting-with-pcna-pag-plus-porsche-s-official-announcement.html

https://www.motor1.com/news/176404/porsche-911-gt3-extended-warranty/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a11658728/porsche-991-gt3-engine-warranty/

I think they end up a bit of an orphan to be honest, the 991.2 cars have the cup car engine again and the 997's have the Mezger, if I rolled the dice on values on a 991 I'd get an RS

It seems to me there have always been a few engine problems cropping up on the flat 6, even the older Carrera engines. I hand't realised the 991.1 GT3 engine also had issues. I guess they are so highly strung after time there can be issues. 

Personally, I think the 991.2 GT3 with the good engine might be the one to get given the last of the narrow body GT3s unless you are tracking then the RS.

2 hours ago, donR said:

It seems to me there have always been a few engine problems cropping up on the flat 6, even the older Carrera engines. I hand't realised the 991.1 GT3 engine also had issues. I guess they are so highly strung after time there can be issues. 

A few engine problems compared to what? Non flat 6 engines? 

2 hours ago, hugh said:

A few engine problems compared to what? Non flat 6 engines? 

Well you would probably know more about this topic than me but compared with other manufacturers of 6 cyl and 8 cyl engines Porsche have had there fair share of problems. Perhaps its partly due to the added complexity of the flat engine configuration. Though this is not to say other manufactures have not had some problems with some V or straight six configurations. 

17 hours ago, reggiegums said:

Is there any literature on this? The articles online seem to have tainted all 991.1 GT3s as having issues with their motors. I think they are the best value Porsche GT car at the moment.

No not really, just what I have picked up over the years.  The first cars that arrived back in 2013 all had the E series motors and these were all recalled and fitted with the F series.  The F series was fitted in 2015 models and still suffered problems but were/are only changed when they give trouble.  They were changed to the G series motors which features some of the .2, 4L engine parts such as the oil pump and pickup.

On 09/08/2019 at 23:33, reggiegums said:

I am with you Reggie. I would still be sitting tight waiting for the dust to settle  but I think the 991.1 will be a performance bargain given that Porsche is standing behind the shortcomings. 

That said, I think the 991.2 would be the one I would like to have and hold.

33 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

That said, I think the 991.2 would be the one I would like to have and hold.

Manual 991.2 GT3 Touring is top of my list of "cars to acquire when I can, and take to my grave once I do"... 😁

991.2s are hanging around at 329k including nicely spec'd ones with CS kit.  Is sub 300 on the radar.....?  

56t63ckip2e6ubyssgzr5s8lw.jpg?aspect=FitWithinNoPad&width=480

2018 Porsche 911 GT3 991 Auto MY18

• 9,990 km
  • Coupe
  • Automatic
  • 6cyl 4.0L Petrol

Private

For more information on this vehicle please visit:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-Porsche-911-GT3-991-Auto-MY18/SSE-AD-5925948

1 hour ago, DJM said:

991.2s are hanging around at 329k including nicely spec'd ones with CS kit.  Is sub 300 on the radar.....?  

• 9,990 km
  • Coupe
  • Automatic
  • 6cyl 4.0L Petrol

Private

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-Porsche-911-GT3-991-Auto-MY18/SSE-AD-5925948

@DJM  Doug, nicely specced GT3, great colour (my favourite on a GT3) with all the nice bits too.  A bit of a worry why new tyres needed after a couple of months but a call to PCM or a PPI should alleviate any concerns.  A low offer is required here as the stamp duty would be a deal breaker for me at the $329K asking price.  $330K drive away seems about right.

1 hour ago, DJM said:

• 9,990 km
  • Coupe
  • Automatic
  • 6cyl 4.0L Petrol

Private

Unlikely Doug they are a very good car from all reports, I believe that the heavy depreciation of the 991.1 due to  its engine issues has skewed the 991.2 market somewhat placing abnormal downward pressure on its pricing. You'll get the odd anomaly with an unpopular colour or higher than average kms otherwise I can't see them depreciating much more until the 992 delivers are imminent. 

On 10/08/2019 at 09:27, donR said:

Personally, I think the 991.2 GT3 with the good engine might be the one to get given the last of the narrow body GT3s unless you are tracking then the RS.

The difference being, that the 991.1 engine issue is not a 'cheap' fix like the IMS bearing of the 996. Performance Developments in the US have a fix, but I believe it is around $USD30k. I wouldn't want to own one of these cars after the 10 years warranty is up that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, MFX said:

The difference being, that the 991.1 engine issue is not a 'cheap' fix like the IMS bearing of the 996. Performance Developments in the US have a fix, but I believe it is around $USD30k. I wouldn't want to own one of these cars after the 10 years warranty is up that's for sure. 

That’s if you do it before it goes bang 

23 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

That’s if you do it before it goes bang 

True. After would be much worse, as you would probably replace the engine with another which will be as bad as the first, because Porsche's solution for the issue delays the problem it doesn't solve it.

48 minutes ago, MFX said:

True. After would be much worse, as you would probably replace the engine with another which will be as bad as the first, because Porsche's solution for the issue delays the problem it doesn't solve it.

What happens when Porsche replace the engine?  I have seen a few advertised lately with warranty replacement engines.  One on car sales at the moment advertising "only 900 klms".  Then you read that engine replaced by Porsche only has 900 klms not the entire car.  Is the replacement a completely fixed motor or a temporary solution?

8 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

What happens when Porsche replace the engine?  I have seen a few advertised lately with warranty replacement engines.  One on car sales at the moment advertising "only 900 klms".  Then you read that engine replaced by Porsche only has 900 klms not the entire car.  Is the replacement a completely fixed motor or a temporary solution?

Basically their fix is that they just added more hardening on the cams and followers. That will delay the issue, but doesn't correct the original oiling problem.

Exactly, they didn't fix the oil starvation issue, hence the 10 year warranty ... should be enough time for all of the new car buyers to cycle out of them, which to any car business are the only people who really matter.

It's the track use cars that keep blowing up. Shouldn't be as much of an issue for garage queens short-mid term anyway. If worried, jump out at 9 years, thats what the warranty is for.