996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

15 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Has this one been discussed?? ...

A mates C4S Tipper .. seems reasonably priced, IMS done and good k’s.

Been for sale for a little while now. Any ideas on why?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-4s-996-auto-awd-my02/SSE-AD-7278202?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-7278202

Hey Ronny, any idea what the whole IMS job cost your mate?  I'm considering options for doing mine & understand that the tipper version is an engine out job whereas the manual can be done on a hoist with the engine in. Cheers 

14 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Hey Ronny, any idea what the whole IMS job cost your mate?  I'm considering options for doing mine & understand that the tipper version is an engine out job whereas the manual can be done on a hoist with the engine in. Cheers 

I believe you’re right Jason. Needs engine drop to do IMS on an tipper. 😢

No idea on cost. I can ask and get back to you ...

2 hours ago, Dreamr said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-4s-996-auto-awd-my02/SSE-AD-7278202?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-7278202

I've seen this car in the flesh and it's lovely - good colour.  Nice options with the zenons and reverse sensors.  I just went back through my CS saved cars - over the last 6 months the prices have certainly crept up, but I'll note tippers appearing to sell near $90k have all had 60-90kms on the clock - comparatively a bit lower than the 120kms on this one.  But you buy the owner, and he is a solid Porsche guy.  I think this is a car you could buy and just enjoy, and not get too anal about racking up kilometers...

I’m looking for a turbo but now widening my search to C4S. My reluctance to look at high mileage cars has little to do with perceived engine or transmission wear. I’d not be concerned  if it was a one owner car, but often the high mileage cars have had more than two previous owners. This vastly increases the risk that one of the previous owners had been unkind to the car. 

And then when it comes time to sell it, I’ll be faced with other risk averse buyers just like myself now. Hence the perhaps overinflated desirability  of low mileage cars.

8 hours ago, Dreamr said:

I believe you’re right Jason. Needs engine drop to do IMS on an tipper. 😢

No idea on cost. I can ask and get back to you ...

Thanks Ronny, that'd be outstanding.  Just trying to get an idea on costs etc.  There are limited options here in Brisbane.  So the more knowledge the better.

1 hour ago, Jason E said:

Thanks Ronny, that'd be outstanding.  Just trying to get an idea on costs etc.  There are limited options here in Brisbane.  So the more knowledge the better.

Engine comes out for the tipper LN Engineering is a popular choice for ims the other option is the direct feed oil kit.This is off the top of my head but I’m sure I paid about $3000 for the cheaper option I’m sure direct feed was more like $5k but those prices could have changed over time

5 hours ago, Niels said:

I’m looking for a turbo but now widening my search to C4S. My reluctance to look at high mileage cars has little to do with perceived engine or transmission wear. I’d not be concerned  if it was a one owner car, but often the high mileage cars have had more than two previous owners. This vastly increases the risk that one of the previous owners had been unkind to the car. 

And then when it comes time to sell it, I’ll be faced with other risk averse buyers just like myself now. Hence the perhaps overinflated desirability  of low mileage cars.

I don't know I agree.  I think I'm more interested in the maintenance history - books; and speaking with owners/mechanics that have had the car.  My C4S has been seriously loved with only 60k on the clock over 18 years - but I think I'm owner 6 (though it's been owned by the same bloke twice).  No one including myself has skimped on maintenance/work and it still feels like a new car.  There is of course a chance one of the previous owners flogged it - but a tap into the computer will give a reasonable idea of whether it's been flogged or not.

Good luck with your search, it's definitely not a buyer's market right now.

3 hours ago, Jason E said:

Don't rule out a road trip... You could also freight the car down to someone like Cavaco and drive home, though I don't know the cost savings would work out.  But if you're after reputational work etc... it's an option.  Receipts for my manual car on the LN solution (oil fed) are just under $5k.  I can't imagine pulling the engine and gearbox together (like we used to with the air cooled trains) would add a great deal more to a bill, maybe a couple of hours?

I bet you're an anal guy that just loves spreadsheets?  Knock one out and scour the web, make phone calls, talk to owners etc... And you'll soon be able to map out an average price to work with mechanics on getting your car done.  It's a given it needs to be done as part of owning these cars - do it once, do it right.  It also makes dollar sense now, it's picked up in the swings and roundabouts.

3 hours ago, Jason E said:

Parts and labor for my tipper was 5 k for the LN bearing solution and Rms some years ago now. 

22 hours ago, Fishcop said:

I can't imagine pulling the engine and gearbox together (like we used to with the air cooled trains) would add a great deal more to a bill, maybe a couple of hours?

depending on how  long you'd intend to keep the car, there would be a few preventative maintenance things you'd do with the engine out too.  Some things are much easier to do with engine out.  Have just done clutch in my GT3 (yes I know it has the Mezger engine) but we did things like drive belt, water pump, plug packs, expansion tank etc, all because they are much easier to do with engine out.  I'd be checking what things may be on the way out at the mileage and allow the cost of those things too.  I think it may pay you back in spades for future cost savings and future sale price

16 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Recently a 4CS tip went here in Melbourne for that price which I looked at but that had only about 40ks. One owner, was snapped up within a week.

On 03/07/2021 at 21:25, Dreamr said:

Guys, this is my car. When Ronnie says "for a little while now" he actually means its been listed for 3 weeks.  I'm confident it will sell, it's a lovely car, with good service history..... in fact I'm actually very confident the first potential buyer that bothers to come see it will likely buy it. Pricing on anything is, of course, negotiable.

Adam

21 hours ago, Fishcop said:Good luck with your search, it's definitely not a buyer's market right now.

Understatement of the year! 😀
I’m giving up looking for the next 12 months and hoping for the natural order of things to resume. For the chronically risk averse like myself, what’s on offer now isn’t giving me warm and fuzzy feelings. 

4 hours ago, Niels said:

Understatement of the year! 😀
I’m giving up looking for the next 12 months and hoping for the natural order of things to resume. For the chronically risk averse like myself, what’s on offer now isn’t giving me warm and fuzzy feelings. 

I've had this discussion regularly with my brother - but his inability to commit is legendary!  Example 1. was the $15k 356A he turned down 15 years go because he thought it was  a bit expensive, Example 2. was the $35k BMW E9 RHD manual he turned down 3 years ago he decided was risky because it was a UK delivery, and Example 3. was a lovely low km Aussie 996 turbo tipper at <$90k only 18 months ago because 'automatic'...  Life's too short to wait :D

FWIW - stuff is out there, but it just doesn't make an appearance on CarSales.  You've just gotta chase each possible opportunity offline and commit with clear cash offer ;)

39 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

I've had this discussion regularly with my brother - but his inability to commit is legendary!  Example 1. was the $15k 356A he turned down 15 years go because he thought it was  a bit expensive, Example 2. was the $35k BMW E9 RHD manual he turned down 3 years ago he decided was risky because it was a UK delivery, and Example 3. was a lovely low km Aussie 996 turbo tipper at <$90k only 18 months ago because 'automatic'...  Life's too short to wait :D

FWIW - stuff is out there, but it just doesn't make an appearance on CarSales.  You've just gotta chase each possible opportunity offline and commit with clear cash offer ;)

You’re dead right. I was peeved when good 230SL went from 45K to $70K about 9 years ago. So I bought a Plus 8, which I recently sold and lost about $39K on. Meanwhile, last time I looked, a decent 230 SL was pushing $300… I dare not look at prices again.

I’m not afraid to commit, I just don’t want to be the last lemming over the cliff (again)🥴

5 hours ago, Niels said:

natural order of things to resume

^^^Will they ever? Is this a new high water mark? People getting in now, will not move for less than current buy in (In my humble opinion)

I understand FOMO drives alot of this hype, but personally, if you find one that you like the look of, do not wait. Life is for living!

4 hours ago, Fishcop said:

Example 1. was the $15k 356A he turned down 15 years go because he thought it was  a bit expensive, Example 2. was the $35k BMW E9 RHD manual he turned down 3 years ago he decided was risky because it was a UK delivery

Oops! 😁

Reckon theres a few on here that's done similar though

14 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Oops! 😁

Reckon theres a few on here that's done similar though

I wish I'd been more of an asshole than a mate - the number of cars I checked out for blokes hesitant on committing is large.  Two cars stand out for me that I should have lied about in feed back and just bought them for myself - an Aussie delivered pastel blue 71 being sold for $35k by a mouthy/bolshy seller who was literally antagonistic towards prospective buyers (but the car ended up being sensational and lives with a great mate to this day); and a 40,000km mint-green metallic over chocolate leather Aussie SC - condition was amazing but the colour combo at the time was unattractive.  That same 'unique' combo makes it all the more attractive to my eye (the ask in 2012 was $45k negotiable :() that car has got to be a $180+k car now. 

On 04/07/2021 at 00:31, Fishcop said:

I've seen this car in the flesh and it's lovely - good colour.  Nice options with the zenons and reverse sensors.  I just went back through my CS saved cars - over the last 6 months the prices have certainly crept up, but I'll note tippers appearing to sell near $90k have all had 60-90kms on the clock - comparatively a bit lower than the 120kms on this one.  But you buy the owner, and he is a solid Porsche guy.  I think this is a car you could buy and just enjoy, and not get too anal about racking up kilometers...

Question to all, if this is where tips are then where does the collective think manuals are?

9 minutes ago, Arnage said:

Question to all, if this is where tips are then where does the collective think manuals are?

@Dreamr!! :D

Well from what I can work out the C4S manuals were outnumbered by tippers around 6:1, and Porsches (heck nearly any sports car) were very much about manual gearboxes.  Then there is the testosterone pride factor... I'm very happy to be told otherwise but I think there is a 15-20% premium on a manual C4S over the equivalent tipper - it's an entirely subjective opinion, but I've saved every C4S coupe for the past 6 months and presuming they sold for somewhere near asking, I don't think I'm far off.  It gets interesting when you then consider the C4S cabs - particularly in manual, do they attract a similar premium?  I dunno - but in any format they're sooo pretty :D

Don't worry @Fishcop, I passed on a late 60's 911 that had been set up for tarmac rally, with a cage etc for $40-45k around 8 years ago after I'd bought the 912 project. The missus told me to take some money out of the house to buy the 911 then sell the 912, but I said it was overpriced. Knob! 🙄😭

Still, it all worked out for me with the 912 sale 👍

2 hours ago, Arnage said:

Talk about being thrown in the deep end .. thanks @Fishcop! .. 😅

I also follow the market quite closely and to find a manual C4S for sale in the past few months is like seeing a unicorn .. doesn't happen.

In saying that, one was just listed and sold. Don't know what it sold for but it was listed for $90k .. waaaay to underpriced unless there was something untoward about it.

My current educated guess on pricing for a manual C4S is between $100k - $110k. The gap is dependent on condition and k's. I also believe that one in really good condition with lower than average k's "could" get to $115k. Might have to wait a bit and for the right buyer .. one like this though is easily a $110k car ...

N.B ... this is my own personal opinion on the current C4S market. Am I right or wrong?? .. who knows, but it's where I'm at.

18 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Talk about being thrown in the deep end .. thanks @Fishcop! .. 😅

I also follow the market quite closely and to find a manual C4S for sale in the past few months is like seeing a unicorn .. doesn't happen.

In saying that, one was just listed and sold. Don't know what it sold for but it was listed for $90k .. waaaay to underpriced unless there was something untoward about it.

My current educated guess on pricing for a manual C4S is between $100k - $110k. The gap is dependent on condition and k's. I also believe that one in really good condition with lower than average k's "could" get to $115k. Might have to wait a bit and for the right buyer .. one like this though is easily a $110k car ...

N.B ... this is my own personal opinion on the current C4S market. Am I right or wrong?? .. who knows, but it's where I'm at.

Hmmm , I m recently new around these parts but have been watching and sniffing for a while. Does in your opinion a manual C4S trounce a tip turbo with similar Ks?

Purely a hypothetical question 😊
I feel like I’m playing card game 🤭

2 minutes ago, Joz said:

Hmmm , I m recently new around these parts but have been watching and sniffing for a while. Does in your opinion a manual C4S trounce a tip turbo with similar Ks?

Purely a hypothetical question 😊
I feel like I’m playing scars game 🤭

Pfft, Mezger, does that answer your question?