996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

3 hours ago, Naldz88 said:

Afternoon all and thanks @KGB for throwing me in the deep end haha

I recently spoke with Lorbek about the midnight blue 03 they have listed. Looks great cosmetically but the service interval is a concern. Between 2006 and 2017 no service was carried out and under further investigation the car had been sitting in a collection and put on 13.5k km during that time. They are asking a premium (also no IMS upgrade) and id be interested to know everyone’s thoughts on it. 

Cheers

Don't feel special ... he did the same to me! .. 😅

Regarding the service history ... I'm with @KGB ... a huge hole like that would have me turning around.

The one I bought has 2 x small holes but I kinda figured that with the little driving I do with it each year, it will be serviced on an annual basis and in the next few years those 2 x anomalies will be long in the past. But an 11 year gap will never be able to be hidden ... 😪

2 hours ago, kov said:

Is the Lorbek car the same blue C4S that is on Carsales Listed for 92k? I messaged the 92k car from Carsales seller when it was I think 80k, I sought  our the service history info and noticed there was a massive gap in service history stamps, declined to take it further considering what was the asking price. 

Yes ... one and the same. The number plates are the same.

The rear reflector threw me off initially as the one on Gumtree has it blacked out, until I realised that he probably did that due to it being quite washed out and faded.

That car "was" down to $79k on Gumtree at one stage ...

4 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

The one I bought has 2 x small holes but I kinda figured that with the little driving I do with it each year, it will be serviced on an annual basis and in the next few years those 2 x anomalies will be long in the past. But an 11 year gap will never be able to be hidden ...

Tiny pin pricks in the scheme of things, bugger all km’s recorded, mine was the same.  Good history henceforth sorts it out. Unless it blows up.

If you read the service requirements they’re simple oil changes basically, missing one over 7000km with modern oils is nothing too disconcerting.

The biggest issue for a 996 that's been sitting for 11 years, is the brake fluid.  A 996 (Like most other cars of its era) has 2 year brake fluid change intervals.  For the unitiated, brake fluid is highly hygroscopic and absorbs water at an alarming rate irrespective if you drive it or not.  Hence the 2 year change interval.  Once it absorbs enough water the system rots from the inside out.  Usually the master cylinder will bypass and/or you'll have a sticky piston(s) in the caliper(s)

Unfortunately inspection of these critical components is destructive.  An 11 year gap with no brake fluid changes will entail a new master cylinder and a rebuild of all 4 calipers with new seals.  May as well do the brake hoses whilst you're in there.  You could probably start the process by by doing a fluid test from the reservoir to check the % of water.

If the seller disagrees with the above, no problem, just get your Lawyer to draw up an agreement for the seller to guarantee the integrity of brake system 😛

It's not like a door trim that's lose, or a crack in the dash, it's a serious safety issue that could have very serious implications for your safety and others.   

1 hour ago, KGB said:

Tiny pin pricks in the scheme of things, bugger all km’s recorded, mine was the same.  Good history henceforth sorts it out. Unless it blows up.

If you read the service requirements they’re simple oil changes basically, missing one over 7000km with modern oils is nothing too disconcerting.

Totally agree ... I’ve absolutely let it go, never to be mentioned again! .. 😎

1 hour ago, carl888 said:

lIf the seller disagrees with the above, no problem, just get your Lawyer to draw up an agreement for the seller to guarantee the integrity of brake system 😛

Might just be easier to just walk away I reckon ... 😅

2 hours ago, KGB said:

Show me a C4S without rear spacers.

Here you go:

Based on delivery option stickers:

One Aus delivery https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-4s-996-auto-awd-my02/OAG-AD-18939987/?Cr=4

2034496001_ScreenShot2020-08-02at7_34_04pm.png.d99e7fed3e4ea31750623ca81e05ce26.png

One UK Delivery https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-4s-996-manual-awd-my02/OAG-AD-18938154/?Cr=3

1703264759_ScreenShot2020-08-02at7_00_39pm.png.cfb2bccd5ee78e224181798a78da0d6a.png

I'd be happy to know if they all have the Rear wheel spacers, just I expected it to be listed as an option like AH black 4S that @Dreamr bought (love that car :Drool:). 

1196504391_AHBlack9964Soptionsticker.jpg.1becd3e506457fb8cfa4f3f934c60ce1.jpg

2 hours ago, carl888 said:

The biggest issue for a 996 that's been sitting for 11 years, is the brake fluid.  A 996 (Like most other cars of its era) has 2 year brake fluid change intervals.  For the unitiated, brake fluid is highly hygroscopic and absorbs water at an alarming rate irrespective if you drive it or not.  Hence the 2 year change interval.  Once it absorbs enough water the system rots from the inside out.  Usually the master cylinder will bypass and/or you'll have a sticky piston(s) in the caliper(s)

Unfortunately inspection of these critical components is destructive.  An 11 year gap with no brake fluid changes will entail a new master cylinder and a rebuild of all 4 calipers with new seals.  May as well do the brake hoses whilst you're in there.  You could probably start the process by by doing a fluid test from the reservoir to check the % of water.

If the seller disagrees with the above, no problem, just get your Lawyer to draw up an agreement for the seller to guarantee the integrity of brake system 😛

It's not like a door trim that's lose, or a crack in the dash, it's a serious safety issue that could have very serious implications for your safety and others.   

Lorbeks would never agree to anything of the sort... They’re known to do the bare minimum for roadworthy

50 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Here you go:

Based on delivery option stickers:

Mine has XRN listed.  I understood they all did. I stand corrected, you’ve proven they didn’t.

Strange option, why not make it standard to fill the guards, unless the optional wheel was wider or ran a different offset?

3 minutes ago, michel said:

I dip my ear into the PFA waters and hearing Whale song; so  much (996) love, latent and repressed, so long... 

what caused this recent upwelling ? 

They have been undervalued for way too long @michel it’s a little bit like when the 964 was the odd one out in the group,All I can say is for the money they can’t be beat and hopefully people are finally getting the message of how good they are to drive and own.

27 minutes ago, MARTY said:

They have been undervalued for way too long @michel it’s a little bit like when the 964 was the odd one out in the group,All I can say is for the money they can’t be beat and hopefully people are finally getting the message of how good they are to drive and own.

Just a pity this wasn't recognised in Tassie 6 months ago as I was trying to sell my .2 C2 Tip to fund my GT3 purchase 😞 

1 hour ago, michel said:

I dip my ear into the PFA waters and hearing Whale song; so  much (996) love, latent and repressed, so long... 

It’s an Orca of a car. 🐋 

1 hour ago, michel said:

It’s like everything Porsche ... it goes in swings and roundabouts. It happened with the 914, the humble SC, the slant nose and even the 3.0 Carrera ... and that’s just the  tip of it.

I personally went for the C4S as its the equivalent of the original M491 option on the G series ... how much flack did they cop?? ... and who’s laughing now!

4 hours ago, Dreamr said:

It’s like everything Porsche ... it goes in swings and roundabouts. It happened with the 914, the humble SC, the slant nose and even the 3.0 Carrera ... and that’s just the  tip of it.

Correct 

Whatever is flavour of the month seems to go up in price the following month. One minute its longhoods, then they become out of reach to most (still are), so they look at SC's etc. Then of course they go up by popular demand and people can't justify the expense, so they go for something cheaper...aka a 996. Now they're in demand,  because they're bloody good cars at half the price (or were) of a nice SC...and so the circle of life continues 😁

5 hours ago, Stepo said:

I'd say about $25k overpriced :o 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2002-Porsche-911-Carrera-Cabriolet-3-6L-Update-model/164245911294?hash=item263dd1b6fe:g:VwwAAOSwXl9fFkEa&frcectupt=true

Mentions very low k's but no confirmation.............very low can be a negative not a positive.

To put it in perspective, I picked my coupe up for mid 60's and it's a pearler :)

Looks like a 996.1 taco wing on a 996.2 convertible - interesting choice. That alone would be worth a few grand

22 minutes ago, AL911 said:

New one for a potential X51 buyer this evening - was offered $50k and $15k of furniture. Assuming that’s retail.. so a polite “no” from me. 

Well, at least that's got effort for trying to be creative.