996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

Nice, but way too pricey for me. Upgraded to 3.6 by a US mechanic and IMS done twice? Sounds strange.

Nice rims and mods etc, but what are those lights on top of the steering column, digital tacho or lambda sensor lights? 

I think the lights are "similar" to the rev indicator light fitted to race cars - supposedly showing when to change gear.

Jake Raby (Flat Six Innovations in Georgia) who supposedly built the engine has an enviable rep in the US , but the oil pressure seems very low considering 3,000rpm on the tacho.... surely it should be higher than 2 bar (~29psi) even hot.

I think it’s priced about right. No affiliation whatsoever, but some serious work’s gone into this car. 52k spent by the current owner, including a 27k respray and some good mods, some not to my taste but each to there own, and apparently has the original parts.

I know I know, money spent doesn’t necessarily correlate to resale value, but it just doesn’t make sense to me, if this was an SC with similar dollars spent on it, there would be no question if it was for sale at twice as much. 

I know I know AC/water cooled blah blah. I love AC cars but I still can’t get my head around some of the prices being asked for seemingly average AC cars compared to a well sorted 996. 

For me the smart money’s in the two X51 996’s for sale ATM. Comparative bargains against pretty much everything else 911 for sale at the moment.

3 minutes ago, DT said:

I know I know AC/water cooled blah blah. I love AC cars but I still can’t get my head around some of the prices being asked for seemingly average AC cars compared to a well sorted 996. 

Really and truly can’t compare ... that’s like saying ... used 996 or Brand new Mercedes ... Brand new Mercedes or 3 x brand new Toyota Corolla’s, etc, etc.

There is ZERO comparison between a G series 911 and a 996 .. the G series wins every time even at twice the price .. 

Just my $0.02c worth ... :D

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Well sir, nothing makes much sense in the world today, so you’re welcome to keep your 2c for your G and I’ll keep my 2c for an X51 6.

I love it when 2 opposite souls can agree to disagree and stay friends .. :Beer:

Here’s a dare for anyone looking to buy an AC 911 in the 60-70k region at the moment. Drive said AC up Lake Mountain (insert favourite interstate twisties) followed by a 60-70k X51 996. I dare you to still buy the AC.
No affiliation whatsoever to current members with X51’s for sale.

IMHO a as a seller of the only X51 996 for sale (light blue sold this week) I look at non-X51 cars and the asking prices I also don’t see value (at high lee prices). And then adding the rarity of the X51 cars, the better power delivery, and I think they’re great value. I also struggle to compare to G as they’re so different

[this is a completely biased opinion]

1 minute ago, DT said:

Here’s a dare for anyone looking to buy an AC 911 in the 60-70k region at the moment. Drive said AC up Lake Mountain (insert favourite interstate twisties) followed by a 60-70k X51 996. I dare you to still buy the AC.
No affiliation whatsoever to current members with X51’s for sale.

I preferred to drive mine sedately and have everyone admire it ... both cars can do the twisites at the speed limit just as well as each other. If you want to lose your licence, both will also happily oblige .. my SC was always capable of out driving me. I always felt safe no matter how hard I pushed it.

I guess the biggest difference for me was that in a classic Porsche, people would comment and appreciate ... in a more modern one, I’m going to be just another Porsche W*****.

The X51 would be better after a bank robbery though .. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Dreamr said:

I guess the biggest difference for me was that in a classic Porsche, people would comment and appreciate ... in a more modern one, I’m going to be just another Porsche W*****

I showed some workmates a pic of my backdate last night, and one of them said "Oh man that is stunning" (I showed them the better side of it 😁), then showed them a pic of a silver 996 with big Fuchs rims and ducktail, and they were "Meh, I prefer yours".

What is it, nostalgia that people like, the shape or what? 

Oh, and I can organise a Porshe Wa.k.r tee shirt if you want one 😁

15 hours ago, JWM said:

For some of this description , Thought I was reading a FS listing for my car 

... pricing and repaint Question aside And why 2 x IMS swaps ,  it’s A pretty tasty combo 

15 minutes ago, LeeM said:

I showed some workmates a pic of my backdate last night, and one of them said "Oh man that is stunning" (I showed them the better side of it 😁), then showed them a pic of a silver 996 with big Fuchs rims and ducktail, and they were "Meh, I prefer yours".

It's a lot of everything ... my generation had posters on the wall (Ok, 930 but same, same) .. a lot of them have historic plates so the uneducated know it's old .. it's nostalgia at its best .. and there are so few or them left, it's a novelty to see one.

The "modern ones" are thought of  like European car drivers .. stuck up, made of money and think they own the place ...

I'll put a raincheck on the Tee ... if I end up with another Porsche, we'll talk ... :Chuckle2: 

25 minutes ago, LeeM said:

I already got a porsche Wkr tee off @itsujack especially thinking of me I assume 

1 hour ago, AL911 said:

I already got a porsche Wkr tee off @itsujack especially thinking of me I assume 

At least you know who invented the logo 😁

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

The "modern ones" are thought of  like European car drivers .. stuck up, made of money and think they own the place ...

That was basically what they were saying, but I didn't wanna mention it here 😁

And I had the silver 930T poster on my wall probably 44 years ago. Found the very same block mounted poster coupla years ago which is on the wall in the mancave

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Your car looks MUCH nicer than a 996 in my opinion. The 996 is a much nicer car to daily than the old aircooled offerings (pre 964 anyway), but I find the older cars much more engaging to drive. The 996 is lots of fun, don't get me wrong, but maybe a little too cushy, not as raw and visceral. 

I know you are dying for a 996 and a change is always good, but for me, if it is mostly a weekend toy, I would stick with a well sorted AC. I worry that you will sell yours and a while later regret it ;) 

7 hours ago, Dreamr said:

I’m going to be just another Porsche W***** .. :ph34r:          

3 hours ago, Dreamr said:

if I end up with another Porsche, we'll talk ... 

Just preparing my consulting invoice.

Classic cars are way cooler than modern cars. It’s the laws of the universe.  

Put an old Ferrari, Lambo, Alfa, mini etc next to a new one and the old one will win the people’s vote every time. Same rule can apply to furniture, art, architecture etc etc - design appreciates over time. Kinder to somethings though more so than others. 

I appreciate new cars but they don’t have the same long term appeal to me despite how amazing they are. Old things just have that soul/personality that allows you to get to know each other. 

The 996 however isn’t a car bought buy someone based on looks alone (although I’ve really grown to love them). The 996 is the nerdy 911, unless it’s a Porsche tragic they won’t get it - that just adds to why I like them so much, GT cars in particular.

I don’t give a rats what old mate at the pub thinks, unlikely we would ever agree on anything let alone my thoughts around peak periods of automotive design and the feedback of a 996 chassis vs a 997 vs a 991 etc. I’d be glassed for sure  

What is better? Well that depends on the criteria. They each have their own appeal. All I’d say is that if you like old 911’s but for various reasons need something a little more modern/daily friendly than a 996 is definitely a sweet spot. Best of both worlds (especially at their current values). 

996 GT3 is the yardstick for any performance 911, new or old. Buy one while you still can. 

Nicely put Hugh.

Mid-late 70’s - 90’s AC’s and early 996’s aren’t characteristically different enough for me to justify having both (can’t afford both anyway so it’s a moot point). Perhaps it’s this lack of difference why I can’t make sense of why a dog eared AC at 70k doesn’t bat an eyelid but a top shelf 6 at the same dollars is dreaming. 

The nostalgia card is a hard one to argue. I totally get it. I’m building an Alfa Giulia Sprint GTA rep to scratch that itch. But have a saucy Alfa 147 GTA to scratch another itch. I’m very itchy. My justification is these Alfa itches feel like they’re from different STD’s, in different erogenous zones... errrr... if you know what I mean.... wrong forum?

I reckon if you can’t afford a 6 GT3, next best is an X51, or a boggo C2 with big dollars spent like the one here copping a shellacking for daring to be the same dollars as an average SC.

Or just get a few Alfa’s, no point arguing about anything, none of it makes sense.

Why’s me text gone all big vicar?

I gave my C4S a short run last night and that 3.6 sounded and went soooo good! :D 

My old C2 3.4 and now this 6.2 C4S are just bloody amazing. A 911 is a 911 and anyone who  tries to ping them because of lights or IMS or any of that other stuff just hasn’t sampled how great these cars are.

I have driven a ton of old school cars and all the new stuff. The 996 911 bridges the old and new just perfectly. It’s still so involving as a driver but  so practical at the same time. 

Nothing like em!

Dave.

4 hours ago, MFX said:

Your car looks MUCH nicer than a 996 in my opinion. The 996 is a much nicer car to daily than the old aircooled offerings (pre 964 anyway), but I find the older cars much more engaging to drive. The 996 is lots of fun, don't get me wrong, but maybe a little too cushy, not as raw and visceral. 

I know you are dying for a 996 and a change is always good, but for me, if it is mostly a weekend toy, I would stick with a well sorted AC. I worry that you will sell yours and a while later regret it ;) 

Thats been my dilemma Jeff. I love the old thing just to look at (I much prefer the old 911 shape) and to drive, yet at the same time I do want some more creature comforts as you mention. I drive mine once or maybe twice a month now, as I just can't be bothered to be honest, which is also partly why I've shelved the idea of a 996 for now.

I've done my homework with 996's by asking a LOT of questions to those who I trust with their knowledge and experience (not owners), and they all say they're great cars, but in the overall scheme of things, I'll regret selling mine to buy one.

Maybe one day I'll give mine a birthday and freshen up the suspension etc (I'm looking at changing rims soon, so thats a start 😁) yet for now I'll just hang onto it and tart it up a bit 👍

Aaaah Mr @hugh. Always the voice of reason and sensibility 😁 Well said 👍

If I had a job that didn't require a van (as demonic as mine is!), I'd probably have a 996 as a daily. It would be nice, but that ain't gunna happen anytime soon, if at all.