996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

996’s have suffered from the same fate as the 964, plenty of unloved examples that tarnish the broader appreciation. 

The 996 is still a 20 yo car. The GT models are only now starting to be recognised for their real pedigree, no doubt this will trickle down to the std carrera’s etc. in time. 

18 hours ago, LeeM said:

Like I mentioned, boring probably isn't the correct term. Maybe once you've owned a car for a certain period of time, it becomes a tad...mundane, and you want something else to reignite the fun fuse factor. I know I have that with my air cooled at the moment. 

😅 I drive plenty hard and fast enough 😁

Time to hit the track mate! 

On 11/07/2020 at 20:55, hugh said:

To me, the 996 is the perfect balance between the character I love in an early 911 but in a very useable “current” package. Evolutionary but not refined so much that they lack feel and the reward of having to still work to get the most out of it.

Well put.  Old but new.  it's' about the vibe.

I get to drive 991 + 992 from time to time, lovely, but far too sophisticated at semi legal speeds, too easy.

4 hours ago, hugh said:

996’s have suffered from the same fate as the 964, plenty of unloved examples that tarnish the broader appreciation.

Look at 964 now.  996 will soon have it's time.

I am really enjoying the 996 as a daily, and I have had the pleasure of pushing it hard on the road and on the track. It is a very capable car, with no nasty bite. I know the 911 has always had a reputation due to the engine being in the 'wrong' spot, but the 996 is very predictable in it's handling (mine does have H&R suspension). It tends to understeer on the limit and even when I have been surprised in a high speed mid corner and have found that I have over cooked it, I can still ease in more brake without the tail coming loose. 

I can definitely say that it doesn't have the 'drama' of an air-cooled car, and I can see how it could be seen as a little 'boring'. 

My only real gripes with it are I think it has far and away the worst interior ever to grace a 911, particularly in the grey (like mine) or the beige. The other thing that annoys me is that the gearing in second is too high. I am not sure if it was for 0-100 or what, but most manual cars I have ever driven seem to hit redline in second at about 100kph. The 996 goes all the way to around 120. I find, that particularly when I am lower in the rev range in second I can really feel it lacking low end torque. It really screams above 4500rpm and the engine is great, when you are moving, just gearing second lower would be much more fun.

1 hour ago, MFX said:

I am really enjoying the 996 as a daily, and I have had the pleasure of pushing it hard on the road and on the track. It is a very capable car, with no nasty bite. I know the 911 has always had a reputation due to the engine being in the 'wrong' spot, but the 996 is very predictable in it's handling (mine does have H&R suspension). It tends to understeer on the limit and even when I have been surprised in a high speed mid corner and have found that I have over cooked it, I can still ease in more brake without the tail coming loose. 

I can definitely say that it doesn't have the 'drama' of an air-cooled car, and I can see how it could be seen as a little 'boring'. 

My only real gripes with it are I think it has far and away the worst interior ever to grace a 911, particularly in the grey (like mine) or the beige. The other thing that annoys me is that the gearing in second is too high. I am not sure if it was for 0-100 or what, but most manual cars I have ever driven seem to hit redline in second at about 100kph. The 996 goes all the way to around 120. I find, that particularly when I am lower in the rev range in second I can really feel it lacking low end torque. It really screams above 4500rpm and the engine is great, when you are moving, just gearing second lower would be much more fun.

That's because its geared to cruise on the autobahn at 200km/h plus not at our measly 110km/h. 

The interior is very dependent on the way it was specified.  My interior is completely covered in black leather, actually has a glovebox and has the full carbon fibre pack and is quite a pleasant place to be. 

5 hours ago, JWM said:

This looked very, very nice, with only 57,000km... Listed over the weekend and deposited on before lunch time (I called with my car key in the other hand, about to drive in for a look, too slow!) 

6259B9E6-AEA7-4860-8897-7CECD6FA9A3C.jpeg

Yep, didn't last long.

Car was mint.

Cheers,

Dave. 

2 hours ago, MFX said:

I looked into this as I'm looking for a 996 and gearing is one of the most important things to me in a car.

Looks like the 997.1 box bolts up according to this (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/866177-lower-gearing-for-996-a.html)

996: 997 gearing (copied from that thread)
3.82 3.91
2.05 2.32
1.41 1.61
1.12 1.28
.92 1.08
.75 .88

Honestly the way Porsche gear some cars is just terrible and part of what made me pull the trigger on a base 987.2 over the S is the shorter 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th.

2 hours ago, Carrera28 said:

That's because its geared to cruise on the autobahn at 200km/h plus not at our measly 110km/h. 

The interior is very dependent on the way it was specified.  My interior is completely covered in black leather, actually has a glovebox and has the full carbon fibre pack and is quite a pleasant place to be. 

You don't cruise the Autobahn in 2nd ;) , but it is true that the black interior with full leather dash (I have a couple of mates with this in their Turbo's) is much nicer. Even with that, every other model of 911 interior is still a nicer place to be in my opinion.

32 minutes ago, rego said:

I looked into this as I'm looking for a 996 and gearing is one of the most important things to me in a car.

Looks like the 997.1 box bolts up according to this (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/866177-lower-gearing-for-996-a.html)

996: 997 gearing (copied from that thread)
3.82 3.91
2.05 2.32
1.41 1.61
1.12 1.28
.92 1.08
.75 .88

Honestly the way Porsche gear some cars is just terrible and part of what made me pull the trigger on a base 987.2 over the S is the shorter 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th.

That is very interesting. I did drive a mates 997S at Baskerville back to back with my car and I would have to change down to second to get up the hill in the 996, where the 997 could stay in 3rd for pretty much the whole track. I put it down to the much torquier bottom end of the 3.8, but thinking about it, the gearing would have definitely played a big part in that too.

6 minutes ago, KGB said:

Srecko’s got one, for he who dares enter the monster’s den.

Is the pricing on the mark for a 996 C4S manual coupe?

I heard there were 5 interested parties at CTS after theirs took a deposit on Monday.

Cheers,

Dave.

I know it has low k’s, I would normally think that was a good thing but my mechanic tells me lack of driving could make low k cars a maintenance nightmare?

Low k’s no good, high k’s no good, what’s the sweet spot 🤥

20 minutes ago, Stepo said:

I know it has low k’s, I would normally think that was a good thing but my mechanic tells me lack of driving could make low k cars a maintenance nightmare?

Low k’s no good, high k’s no good, what’s the sweet spot 🤥

I just bought one with 60,100km on it, did a major big service, every filter and fluid, engine out RMS, air oil separator, check IMS and clutch, bit of suspension maintenance.  Hasn’t blown up yet.... My guy reckons it’s a cracker and will reward me with many km of trouble free driving.   DISCLAIMER it’s a Porsche, will leak oil and shit will go wrong.

1 hour ago, disco said:

Is the pricing on the mark for a 996 C4S manual coupe?

When you look at the prices being paid for 964’s & 993’s .... even poorly specced cars (even SC’s are pulling prices I never thought I’d see them at), I reckon at mid $80’s the 996 4S is a relatively compelling bargain.

Sure the AC die-hards will argue its comparing apples with oranges, but in reality if you want something special to drive, to look at and admire, and enjoy as a relatively modern toy, I think they’re cherry-ripe right now.

I cant see them getting any cheaper either..... i’m old enough to remember when 964’s were universally despised.... you couldn’t give them away...., and look at their values now.

Get on-board the 996 4S train now & I reckon you’ll enjoy some decent value appreciation over the next 2-5 years.  And have a cracking car to enjoy.

1 hour ago, Rick V said:

When you look at the prices being paid for 964’s & 993’s .... even poorly specced cars (even SC’s are pulling prices I never thought I’d see them at), I reckon at mid $80’s the 996 4S is a relatively compelling bargain.

Sure the AC die-hards will argue its comparing apples with oranges, but in reality if you want something special to drive, to look at and admire, and enjoy as a relatively modern toy, I think they’re cherry-ripe right now.

I cant see them getting any cheaper either..... i’m old enough to remember when 964’s were universally despised.... you couldn’t give them away...., and look at their values now.

Get on-board the 996 4S train now & I reckon you’ll enjoy some decent value appreciation over the next 2-5 years.  And have a cracking car to enjoy.

Hi Rick,

Great insight. You might be onto something.

Also the more I look at all the modern stuff on the road now, the more a car like the 996 4S impresses on me. I think they’re special.

Thanks for response.

Cheers,

Dave.

34 minutes ago, Shedpest said:

Price Drop

The cheapest Oz delivered  manual on the market with complimently rashed rims and fluffy seats

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-porsche-911-turbo-996-manual-awd-my01/SSE-AD-6424110/?Cr=34

That’s a great price for a Turbo. Oz delivered too in Lapis.

That should sell.

cheers,

Dave.

10 hours ago, Shedpest said:

Price Drop

The cheapest Oz delivered  manual on the market with complimently rashed rims and fluffy seats

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-porsche-911-turbo-996-manual-awd-my01/SSE-AD-6424110/?Cr=34

Kerb rash costs circa $150-200 a wheel to fix? why you wouldn’t clean it up when advertising such a vehicle I’ll never know!

The fluffy seats are hilarious, surely just showcase the perfect kept leather seats?