996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

1 hour ago, KGB said:

Black (can I still use this word or is it coloured?) C4S at Autohaus, anyone had a close up on it?

Good car, excellent or what?   The jungle drums are a calling.

as much as i don't want another black car, that 4S is beating my drums too...

11 hours ago, luzzo said:

as much as i don't want another black car, that 4S is beating my drums too...

Lorbek blue car has a huge hole in its history, but AH black one’s history looks ok.  Surprised it hasn’t been snaffled. Things have gone quiet, assuming sharks are circling below the surface.

Some perspective on 996.2

Apologies in advance for my new to me P car dribble:

After a long search, I’ve recently acquired what I believe to be an immaculate 996.2 black on black manual 2002 coupe.

I tossed and turned over 996 at the start, then Boxster, Cayman, but fell back into the hunt for a good 996 based on the fact I think they will only be going up from here, they look great in a coupe and the power is amazing for what you are forking out.  What I originally thought were dodgy headlights has grown on me.

I stumbled across this car after picking up another car being serviced at the Porsche workshop I have been using here in S/E Melb for the last few years.  I mentioned to my mechanic what I was looking for and he says…...….there’s one in the building exactly like what I’m after.  Turns out the car is actually owned by the partner of the business and he’s had it for the last 10 years, not listed anywhere but has had thoughts of selling.

I end up making an appointment to chat some days later and it doesn’t progress, but I keep digging and learning this car has had no expense spared, as you would expect for someone that owns a workshop, gets parts for good industry prices and isn’t held back by hourly labour rates. 

I make another appointment over one weekend and spend close to two hours drooling over how gorgeous this car is, we go for a test drive and the PO gives it a squirt once the temp comes up and I’m hooked, she goes like a rocket, super impressed with performance over previous similar cars I’d test driven.  I drove her back like a Nanna at 60 k’s over ten minutes, I know she goes well, just feeling how tight everything is, gearbox is great, steering, brakes, lovely interior and exterior.  I think I found one scratch on the body which is easily corrected, I’m falling in love and confirm my interest in purchasing that day.

I ended up paying a little more than what I originally thought a good 996.2 was worth but it was based on not only buying the car, also the previous owner who had done a great job looking after his pride and joy.  He’s been telling me he wants it to be perfect for whoever buys it whilst also protecting the reputation of his business and me as a customer, so anything that isn’t right will be fixed prior to collection (top bloke to deal with, one of the best transactions I've had).  He confirms the car will be supplied with new battery, rear rotors, front Konis, boot struts, it needed a wheel alignment and I got a minor service thrown in.

I owe thanks to @P-Kay :Beer: for his comments re KGB’s uneven exhaust tips when he posted pics of the 4S, potential mount issues.  I also noticed my car’s tips sat a little low on one side, PO says just an adjustment but the mechanic says, nup, needs engine mounts as well so another win for me. 

For peace of mind, I paid for a bore scope check, leak down test and over revs report.  The bore scope was probably a waste given recent head work and nothing seen then, but all came back with positive results, at least I know what I’m starting with.

Other pluses are oil fed IMS solution, new clutch and RMS attended to recently, exhaust has had a Peter Starr mod which I’m told is high quality and similar to how Porsche do their cup cars, rides nice and quiet but lets out a ripping sound when you give it some curry, no drone.  Apparently heads had been removed to check a sound that they suspected valves but turned out to be a lifter.  I think a bank of lifters were replaced but valve seats and other machining was done whilst the heads were off, maybe that’s given her some extra oomf, I don’t really know how far they went?  Although all is in order mechanically, I’ll be spending this weekend giving her a good clean and getting to know the curves as you do.

I’ll always love driving my air cooled car (they can bury me in it) and I’ve only driven the 996 a couple of times, but fuche me, the 996 is an awesome machine, it pulls so hard through the gears, you can’t wipe the uncontrollable smile off your face when you put the peddle down.  I am worried that I may end up losing some points as the car just wills you to give it the beans, you look down not realising you may have gone over the speed limit slightly :ph34r:.  I can only imagine the thrills you get stepping up into turbo or GT3 variances.

Sorry for the long winded summary, new P car butterflies.  For any that have ever held a thought, don’t delay, get out and get yourself a good 996 while you can, you won’t be disappointed!

SuyuC1x.jpg

Nb5clbb.jpg

8qCSdwM.jpg

kptLZM2.jpg

Well done stepo - looks a great buy, you won't regret it.....

Honestly, these narrow bodied 996 cars are a killer bargain (and those wheels were quite expensive +and lightweight too) - just keep up the maintenance and I'm sure she will reward you with a humdinger of a drive.😁

4 hours ago, Stepo said:

I owe thanks to @P-Kay :Beer: for his comments re KGB’s uneven exhaust tips when he posted pics of the 4S, potential mount issues.  I also noticed my car’s tips sat a little low on one side, PO says just an adjustment but the mechanic says, nup, needs engine mounts as well so another win for me. 

Congrats, happy to help 🤣

Turns out it was my inability to line ‘em up, engine mounts are 👍.

Your new beast looks fantastic, it’s been a black on black 996 day. 😉

4 hours ago, Stepo said:

Sorry for the long winded summary, new P car butterflies.  For any that have ever held a thought, don’t delay, get out and get yourself a good 996 while you can, you won’t be disappointed!

Congrats @Stepo. This car look so clean and straight.

Looks like you've had the perfect purchase experience, loved the read, thanks for sharing.

Enjoy the car..!

30 minutes ago, KGB said:

He talks a lot, but not numbers!

And, where is he already???

So, by the pushiness of one Mr @KGB I hereby hold up my hands as the purchaser of the C4S from Hamiltons.

After the sale of the SC, I have been exploring a few different cars. I actually went to see this car as more of a 996 C4S “rule it out” excercise. Kind of don’t say no till I’ve seen it kind of thing.

I have to say that the photos don’t do it justice. The car is absolutely stunning in the flesh. It is in near immaculate condition both interior and exterior. I think the shiny Jet Black paint sealed the deal for me.

I had driven a 997 C4S, and while it was also a great car, it didn’t have the WOW factor for me. It was “nice” to drive while the 996 still had a bit of the old school feel.

I will be picking it up on Tuesday and will update you all about the drive home and take some hopefully more flattering photos.

38 minutes ago, disco said:

Wonder if above $80k 🤔

I won’t be talking price on an open forum, but lets just say that a good deal was done.

It will come with 12 monthe Rego, a brand new battery, a new passengers side window regulator and a major service just done.

The water pump was done 4000 k’s ago and a new clutch about 20,000 k’s ago.

All in all ... I couldn’t be happier!! ... 😃😃😃

7 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

So, by the pushiness of one Mr @KGB I hereby hold up my hands as the purchaser of the C4S from Hamiltons.

After the sale of the SC, I have been exploring a few different cars. I actually went to see this car as more of a 996 C4S “rule it out” excercise. Kind of don’t say no till I’ve seen it kind of thing.

I have to say that the photos don’t do it justice. The car is absolutely stunning in the flesh. It is in near immaculate condition both interior and exterior. I think the shiny Jet Black paint sealed the deal for me.

I had driven a 997 C4S, and while it was also a great car, it didn’t have the WOW factor for me. It was “nice” to drive while the 996 still had a bit of the old school feel.

I will be picking it up on Tuesday and will update you all about the drive home and take some hopefully more flattering photos.

I won’t be talking price on an open forum, but lets just say that a good deal was done.

It will come with 12 monthe Rego, a brand new battery, a new passengers side window regulator and a major service just done.

The water pump was done 4000 k’s ago and a new clutch about 20,000 k’s ago.

All in all ... I couldn’t be happier!! ... 😃😃😃

Welcome to the club!

Also did you see the silver import C4S for $74k, any good?

cheers,

Dave.