996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

1 hour ago, KGB said:

Stinky import. 😉

Not sure on the Yiddish racing gold, but looks good otherwise.  Great history.

How much more expensive as a new car in Aus retail dollars was a 996 C4S over a boggo 996.2 C2 back in the day?

@michel solid black?  If it is I’d cling wrap it.

Circa 233k for a auto 4s back in the day vs 187k for a 996.2   manual    ( 2003 vintage

8 hours ago, michel said:

maybe a white wrap

996 does look good in white.

8 hours ago, JWM said:

I really like white 996's, but always thought if I went to the expense of wrapping, I'd pick something a bit more exotic... Maybe Minerva Blue - although I don't know if I could get a wrap in this Porsche colour?...

The availability of colours in vinyl wrap is excellent now. Not sure if they have a range of exact manufacturer OEM colours, but the range of colour swatches also varies between suppliers, so good chance you could match it.

4 hours ago, KGB said:

How much more expensive as a new car in Aus retail dollars was a 996 C4S over a boggo 996.2 C2 back in the day?

2003/4 996.2 C2 Manual Coupe - Base Price $187,600 (+ on roads, + options)

2003/4 996 C4S Manual Coupe - Base Price $225,300 (+ on roads, + options).

Difference $37,700 or pretty much bang on 20% extra.

3 hours ago, KGB said:

Gap has grown like for like kms and condition in that case. 

Would agree the gap is greater than 20% now.

10 hours ago, KGB said:

Says the guy shoehorning a Fezza donk into a 105 😂.   Jeff, c’mon!

Some like to talk like a Trappist monk , handling the sacred mash And ready to lay down a fresh brew...  ... but come the weekend they do weird shit in their sheds 

8 hours ago, luzzo said:

2003/4 996.2 C2 Manual Coupe - Base Price $187,600 (+ on roads, + options)

2003/4 996 C4S Manual Coupe - Base Price $225,300 (+ on roads, + options).

Difference $37,700 or pretty much bang on 20% extra.

Would agree the gap is greater than 20% now.

Thanks for that data @luzzo, do you have the info on the cabs as I expect that gap has gone the other way.  What about C4 without the S?

I was always thinking C2 was the preference over a C4, maybe that's based on my lack of knowledge and thinking more about 964/993.  Is it the S in 996C4 that places it higher and what's the thoughts around a standard 996C2 compared to 996C4 price wise/demand?  Educate me if I have something wrong.

You can get all the original Prices in Redbook.

My understanding in terms of current pricing is C4S > C2 > C4 > any cab. Tips add another negative factor for current pricing so that a C4 manual would be worth more than a C2 tip, but whether it would be worth more than a C4S tip I don’t know. 

I am of course assuming comparable condition and kms in the above

On 09/07/2020 at 12:22, michel said:

I bought a really nice (IMO) blk blk 996.2 man and like @KGB classified intrepid (at best) Kms probably higher than most would consider . But had a lot of nice kit in it. had all the fixes done and more in last cpl years.. the seller great to deal with as well 

Probably only thing is it’s blk .. should I wrap it? 

How do you find the 996 Michel compared to the older 911's?

2 hours ago, TINGY996 said:

How do you find the 996 Michel compared to the older 911's?

I’m trying for a shorty pithy wry succinct answer

Here it is ...  happily I feel like a wanker  

the longer 

the blk blk 996 appeals to my blk blk heart. It’s effortless at anything and  in comparison to all prev p-cars  owned ( the newest, Been the $220,000 Wimbledon green 964 on car sales) , and like anyone’s prior comments , gotta be punting at past legal speeds to begin to enjoy its chassis and tbh too easy to get past legal.. 

this particular one has been dialled in and if you read Bens  listing of it , when for sale ,, he spent plenty time getting it set up . It feels it 

have a possible Wakefield track day in August , this should well expose my shortcomings .

driving early cars , more so if modded still is where I’m at and sitting in the 996, weirdly , I’m having a similar Outward vantage and interior Plasticky pleasure as I do with the smart roadster .

As with the roadster interior , wanting to do CF interior upgrades - anyone got cf trim pieces spare ??? Also GT3 RS wheel

By way of comparison , the similar vintage AUDI b5 S4 interior a far klassier place to be seated .. more so at night when it’s all lit  up and incidentally in stock form has equivalent engine numbers as does the 2001 996 carrera. 

though I’m  loving the 996  drive , the aural, the coming out of a shop and realising  its my car , I’m loving the aural . It does make splendid noises with the mute/munted switch activated.. And was Sorely tempted to buy Hugh’s  exh listed the other week. Though had not committed to the car.

But still Older (modded) cars for a bunch of reasons still hold me and having done same drive adelaide mlb - cbr in a C3 , 5 weeks ago, whilst the 996 had track diva and me giggling Out in the hay plains , Subjectively the C3 holds more Aesthetic and quirk appeal ..

KlAUS though mucho car for the money and  @LeeM Stop beating round the bush and don’t be like @rminc thinking about sc’/3.2’s 5 years later who @hugh gave a giddy up to this morning .

do wish though I’d bought a 996 5 years ago 

30 minutes ago, michel said:

I’m trying for a shorty pithy wry succinct answer

do wish though I’d bought a 996 5 years ago 

The second sentence here is all i needed to know:D

I just did an Oxley Hwy run recently and was lucky to get out of second gear through all the twisty sections, second and third gear for 47kms, when i got sick of changing down to second i just chugged along in third. Such a great drivers car and great stability at speed and no tram lining like my old 944 turbo used to do.

Effortless is the word i usually use to describe the drive experience as well, well done on the purchase. Anybody sitting on the fence pondering the purchase of one of these cars, try and get a ride or drive in one and you will never look back, even a bog stock, hilux grey interior like mine with no options still drives the same as one with all the bells and whistles;)

On 10/07/2020 at 09:29, Stepo said:

Is it the S in 996C4 that places it higher and what's the thoughts around a standard 996C2 compared to 996C4 price wise/demand?  Educate me if I have something wrong.

I think you’re right that it’s the S that makes all the difference... The wide body and other styling features and bits (like brakes) from the Turbo make it quite different to a C2 v C4 996.1 comparison, that’s for sure.

When I went looking for a 996 I wanted a C4S but found my car and bought it based on condition and history instead. Would love to hear from someone who’s owned both on how they compare to drive though. 

@michel

Fair point mate, though respectfully I'm probably in a different position to yourself and many others on this forum.

Do I want a 996? It's a well documented YES as everyone knows, yet can I pull the trigger and sell mine to buy one? Not at the moment, even though mine was basically sold to fund Klaus when it was advertised, but the 'buyer' was a moron without having finance sorted, and wanted to pay it off whilst taking ownership of it. Saying that, Klaus (as much as I love the car) was a little over my 'want to spend' price range. Sure I could have financed it, but I hate loans and that wasn't an option. And ofcourse 'her indoors' said it's totally up to me what I want to do, but "Don't come to me having a sook about making a mistake selling your air cooled!" Wise woman.

I'd also still like to clean mine up a bit more when I find the motivation, though being as busy as I am with work, that's still a way off at the moment. 

2 hours ago, TINGY996 said:

Effortless is the word i usually use to describe the drive experience as well, well done on the purchase. Anybody sitting on the fence pondering the purchase of one of these cars, try and get a ride or drive in one and you will never look back,

And that first sentence is a small part of my problem. They do everything so effortlessly well that they might become...dare I say boring? 

I recently test drove an air cooled for someone who had sold a 996, as he got bored with it for that very reason above.

I've driven 4 996's and they're all different. The tip was the easiest thing to drive quickly in the twisties and a helluva lot of fun, a bog stock manual was fun but I could see me modifying it pretty quickly in the suspension department, then you have @PhilH car which is another level altogether with modded suspension etc. 

19 minutes ago, JWM said:

I think you’re right that it’s the S that makes all the difference... The wide body and other styling features and bits (like brakes) from the Turbo make it quite different to a C2 v C4 996.1 comparison, that’s for sure.

When I went looking for a 996 I wanted a C4S but found my car and bought it based on condition and history instead. Would love to hear from someone who’s owned both on how they compare to drive though. 

I’ve owned both and currently have a 2004 4S. With my mediocre driving skills I really can’t tell much difference in day to day driving. However, the aesthetics of the 4s are wonderful. 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

@michel

Fair point mate, though respectfully I'm probably in a different position to yourself and many others on this forum.

Do I want a 996? It's a well documented YES as everyone knows, yet can I pull the trigger and sell mine to buy one? Not at the moment, even though mine was basically sold to fund Klaus when it was advertised, but the 'buyer' was a moron without having finance sorted, and wanted to pay it off whilst taking ownership of it. Saying that, Klaus (as much as I love the car) was a little over my 'want to spend' price range. Sure I could have financed it, but I hate loans and that wasn't an option. And ofcourse 'her indoors' said it's totally up to me what I want to do, but "Don't come to me having a sook about making a mistake selling your air cooled!" Wise woman.

I'd also still like to clean mine up a bit more when I find the motivation, though being as busy as I am with work, that's still a way off at the moment. 

And that first sentence is a small part of my problem. They do everything so effortlessly well that they might become...dare I say boring? 

I recently test drove an air cooled for someone who had sold a 996, as he got bored with it for that very reason above.

I've driven 4 996's and they're all different. The tip was the easiest thing to drive quickly in the twisties and a helluva lot of fun, a bog stock manual was fun but I could see me modifying it pretty quickly in the suspension department, then you have @PhilH car which is another level altogether with modded suspension etc. 

Good words sir and the real possibility of been bored looms. Thiugh Klaus ain’t bog standard and is a riot on off throttle .

Personally though don’t  think  I could own bog standard  .. what’s the @PhilH got under its skirts?

Re: ownership as I’m wanting to keep it awhile, I will be making efforts to sell the orange targa and the 944 turbo 

@michel Phils car has had the suspension sorted (to GT3 spec I think) and is a helluva thing to drive. My reaction through the 2nd/3rd gear twisties was "F..k yeah I gotta get one of these!" 

Boring may not be the correct analogy, yet being as I'm kinda 'bored' with my air cooled, I can see why those who own a car that does everything so well could describe it as such. 

To me, the 996 is the perfect balance between the character I love in an early 911 but in a very useable “current” package. Evolutionary but not refined so much that they lack feel and the reward of having to still work to get the most out of it.

Definitely not boring and like any 911 if your finding it boring your not driving it fast or hard enough! 

6 hours ago, LeeM said:

There is no way that i could describe the drive as boring..........ever.

The day i do that i will sell it and pull out my biege safari suit and sit in the corner of my retirement village room and suck my thumb.

9 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

There is no way that i could describe the drive as boring..........ever.

The day i do that i will sell it and pull out my biege safari suit and sit in the corner of my retirement village room and suck my thumb.

...you have a beige safari suit ???

😲

Like I mentioned, boring probably isn't the correct term. Maybe once you've owned a car for a certain period of time, it becomes a tad...mundane, and you want something else to reignite the fun fuse factor. I know I have that with my air cooled at the moment. 

1 hour ago, hugh said:

Definitely not boring and like any 911 if your finding it boring your not driving it fast or hard enough! 

😅 I drive plenty hard and fast enough 😁

10 hours ago, LeeM said:

Like I mentioned, boring probably isn't the correct term. Maybe once you've owned a car for a certain period of time, it becomes a tad...mundane, and you want something else to reignite the fun fuse factor. I know I have that with my air cooled at the moment. 

😅 I drive plenty hard and fast enough 😁

I know what you mean Lee. When i get like that i will move onto something else as well but right now i am still in love with the theatre of it. I was attracted to 911"s initially by the sound and i am still loving that, don't think i would ever be bored of that part of it.:wub:

18 hours ago, LeeM said:

@michel Phils car has had the suspension sorted (to GT3 spec I think) and is a helluva thing to drive. My reaction through the 2nd/3rd gear twisties was "F..k yeah I gotta get one of these!" 

Boring may not be the correct analogy, yet being as I'm kinda 'bored' with my air cooled, I can see why those who own a car that does everything so well could describe it as such. 

Sounds very much like a car I was stalking for 3 years ... track Prepped and peppered std 996. Though has had so much gt3 wot nots Put in it. Unrequited

I test drove a tired 98 cab after a 2006 cayman and was originally disappointed with the 996.1

I also went for a ride and then drove a very nicely sorted 996.2 and it was night and day, totally electrifying, far from boring.  What a brilliant car!