996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

2 minutes ago, Rick V said:

Hey, if the (previously) unloved (read universally hated) 964 could be worth more than ANYTHING, who knows how the market will treat the 996 in years to come?!?!?

The naysayers will end up with fried  🍳 on their faces!😂😂😂😂

Ahhh.... love it!😁

cheers,

Dave.

48 minutes ago, MFX said:

That little k's on a car of that age is not necessarily a good thing and that is 997 money... 

But you're not comparing apples to apples... 

997 money you speak of is for possibly a base model vs a 996 C4S.

I can tell you first hand that a 997 C4S is $30k - $40k more than it's 996 counterpart.

One of the reasons I didn't buy a 997 C4S is that I couldn't justify the price difference. Then add that it was too "nice" and the beautiful red reflector was missing, etc, etc and the 996 it was! ... 

Just now, Dreamr said:

But you're not comparing apples to apples... 

997 money you speak of is for possibly a base model vs a 996 C4S.

I can tell you first hand that a 997 C4S is $30k - $40k more than it's 996 counterpart.

One of the reasons I didn't buy a 997 C4S is that I couldn't justify the price difference. Then add that it was too "nice" and the beautiful red reflector was missing, etc, etc and the 996 it was! ... 

Each to their own I suppose. After driving the 997 and 996 back to back, the 997 was soo much better to drive and I put 90% of that down to the shorter second gear in the 997. The 996 gearing is too tall and I do think the 6C4S looks good, but I personally still think a base 997c2 looks much better (particularly the interior).

I would love it if the 996's became more valuable. Give me one of those crappy 997's and money my way :D

Just now, MFX said:

Each to their own I suppose. After driving the 997 and 996 back to back, the 997 was soo much better to drive and I put 90% of that down to the shorter second gear in the 997. The 996 gearing is too tall and I do think the 6C4S looks good, but I personally still think a base 997c2 looks much better (particularly the interior).

I would love it if the 996's became more valuable. Give me one of those crappy 997's and money my way :D

Your on the money . Forget the headlight debate the interior in the 996 is dated badly . I can’t see it ever being retro cool 😎 

8 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

Your on the money . Forget the headlight debate the interior in the 996 is dated badly . I can’t see it ever being retro cool 😎 

But any car that is 20 years old is dated ... not exactly exclusive to the 996 interior ..

I personally love that it's got the dorky old school feel .. the 997 interior with Its multifunction steering wheel was much like my Mercedes .. less sports car feel and more headed towards the luxury end.

18 minutes ago, MFX said:

Can't really comment on the driveability differences as I'm not familiar with them, I was just making comment on comparing being able to buy a base 997 vs a near top of the range 996 C4S .. 

Apples for apples, a base 996 comes in at $55k - $65k odd ...

38 minutes ago, MFX said:

Just curious about the the gearing you mention in the 996/997.    2.20:1 for the 996 and 2.32:1 on the 997 in second gear with the same 3.44:1 final drive.  However the 19" wheels on the 997 up the gearing by approximately 4%, making the overall gearing in each gear almost identical.

996:  http://www.gboxweb.com/996specs.html

997: http://www.gboxweb.com/997specs.html

25 minutes ago, carl888 said:

Just curious about the the gearing you mention in the 996/997.    2.20:1 for the 996 and 2.32:1 on the 997 in second gear with the same 3.44:1 final drive.  However the 19" wheels on the 997 up the gearing by approximately 4%, making the overall gearing in each gear almost identical.

996:  http://www.gboxweb.com/996specs.html

997: http://www.gboxweb.com/997specs.html

Interesting figures. All I can say is that driving back to back was night and day difference (the 997 was also available with the spec 18's on the 996). A lot of it could be the torque difference as it was a 3.8S I drove, but either way the 997 gearing suited the car, where in the 996 I find 2nd gear too high for the torque and in a spirited drive on a fun road, it struggles out of slow corners and I can't bring myself to change back to 1st.

I find the gearing on the 3.4 996 just about perfect in the twisties. I love the revvy nature of the 3.4, winding up and down between 2nd and 3rd on a favourite twisty. There was a time coming back from Hanger Banger along the Great Ocean Road, the 996 gods were shining on me and I got an almost clear run. I’ve driven along that road in a lot of different cars over the last 30 years and that drive in the 996 is the most memorable. It’s one of the most sublime driving experiences I’ve ever had. There’s not one thing I would’ve changed on the car in that few hours.

I also managed to get in a cheeky mtb ride at Forrest and fish and chips in Apollo Bay. What a day that was. Seems a world away now in lockdown Melbug.

9F8A60F8-A078-4088-A23A-5525F0D8A568.jpeg

1 hour ago, DT said:

Seems a world away now in lockdown Melbug.

Damn right @DT, those days seem a distant memory. Like most things in hindsight, didn't realise we should have been cherishing those outings at the time.

Thanks for sharing the story on the 996.  

6 hours ago, MFX said:

That little k's on a car of that age is not necessarily a good thing and that is 997 money... 

I'd rather the 996. Low km's are not necessarily a bad thing either, my 16 yr old C4S with 60km hasn't exploded yet!

5 hours ago, Rick V said:

Hey, if the (previously) unloved (read universally hated) 964 could be worth more than ANYTHING, who knows how the market will treat the 996 in years to come?!?!?

I've backed both in for the win!

5 hours ago, DT said:

I find the gearing on the 3.4 996 just about perfect in the twisties. I love the revvy nature of the 3.4, winding up and down between 2nd and 3rd on a favourite twisty. There was a time coming back from Hanger Banger along the Great Ocean Road, the 996 gods were shining on me and I got an almost clear run. I’ve driven along that road in a lot of different cars over the last 30 years and that drive in the 996 is the most memorable. It’s one of the most sublime driving experiences I’ve ever had. There’s not one thing I would’ve changed on the car in that few hours.

I also managed to get in a cheeky mtb ride at Forrest and fish and chips in Apollo Bay. What a day that was. Seems a world away now in lockdown Melbug.

9F8A60F8-A078-4088-A23A-5525F0D8A568.jpeg

And you probably didn't look at the speedo let alone the interior. 😆

They're a chassis built for driving, and it's the driving you remember. So drive drive drive those buggies boys.

Btw, nobody gets everything, ever.

4 hours ago, firstone said:

And you probably didn't look at the speedo let alone the interior. 😆

I had my eyes glued to the speedo your honour.

And I only ever look at the interior when I’m hosing it out.

That’s the beauty of the boggo 996 interior, it’s tough as old boots. And I’ve never found it an unpleasant place to be. Granted it shared some plastic finishes with the Mitsubishi  Magna of the same era, but that’s never bothered me. Perhaps now a little nostalgia’s creeping in for that era of interior design. I think it’s past the term ‘dated’... maybe it’s about to hand that baton to the 997!

3439D3F2-91B0-4D1B-ABD4-3DED4B55C6EC.jpeg

34 minutes ago, DT said:

I had my eyes glued to the speedo your honour.

And I only ever look at the interior when I’m hosing it out.

That’s the beauty of the boggo 996 interior, it’s tough as old boots. And I’ve never found it an unpleasant place to be. Granted it shared some plastic finishes with the Mitsubishi  Magna of the same era, but that’s never bothered me. Perhaps now a little nostalgia’s creeping in for that era of interior design. I think it’s past the term ‘dated’... maybe it’s about to hand that baton to the 997!

3439D3F2-91B0-4D1B-ABD4-3DED4B55C6EC.jpeg

Usually when I see an interior like that it has one of these on the roof 

245960-4x3-xlarge.jpg

Porsche have always prided themselves on simplistic design..............achieved with the 996 interior (it is a 20 year old car).

IMO, I think the cabin is a cosy place to be, nice seats, steering/pedal/shift position.  Good HVAC along with vision around the car and sound quality.

There's mostly only two places I'm looking when driving it, out the windscreen and the tacho :ph34r: