Manufacturer warranty, now up to 15 years

edgy

I was at a friends place on the weekend, he’d just got their 2014 Macan back from some warranty work, and we were discussing the extended warranty period, it used to be renewable on the 9th year making 10 years total from new, he mentioned it is now 15 😳 so I was down at PCSS this morning, I validated this and I was advised it is indeed correct, this was rolled out earlier this year... I’d never heard it, they didn’t exactly announce it... 

Anyway, for those of us with newer or late models, I thought it was a great bit of news! 🙏🏻 

Wow if I keep renewing the car's warranty, it will be covered until 2030, so the car will stay under warranty probably longer than me.

Mine is due again at the end of the year so I will be renewing for a further 2 years.  Good insurance I say based on the cost to fix things on these cars. Have only needed to use the warranty once but it was a $5000 fix so I am still ahead.

23 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Wow if I keep renewing the car's warranty, it will be covered until 2030, so the car will stay under warranty probably longer than me.

Mine is due again at the end of the year so I will be renewing for a further 2 years.  Good insurance I say based on the cost to fix things on these cars. Have only needed to use the warranty once but it was a $5000 fix so I am still ahead.

This is kind of what I figure, especially if you have a more complex variant like something with air suspension, heated/cooled seats, electronics this, that and the other... its got to be cheap insurance! :D

I got to say the thing that scares me most is if a PDK trans needs work... I just can't see that being cheap in any case! 

• 1 month later...

So how does this work?  Does the car have to already be under man warranty in order to be able to extend it?   Or can you have the car inspected by Porsche and then buy warranty for one that is already out of warranty?  

Shows they stand by their products.  

You need to buy one with the warranty already on it and you can have it extended (even if it lapses) provided you were the nominated owner who had the warranty when it expired.  e.g. if you bought one from a Porsche dealer with extended warranty and it expired you could let it lapse a year and then renew it with the dealer provided you addressed any maintenance issues found.

If the warranty isn't in your name when it lapses you can't add it on later, even if you addressed the maintenance issues.  e.g. you own the car with extended warranty lasting another year say August 2020 and sell it to me.  I've got warranty until next year, if I let it lapse and want to reinstate it the following year you can't do it.  However, if I extended it next year to 2021, I could then let it lapse and reinstate it afterwards as I was the current owner and held the warranty when the warranty expired

https://porscheapproved.com.au/Porsche-Approved-Warranty-Extension

Warranty Extension Conditions

• The Porsche warranty extension is available on qualifying Porsche vehicles between one and fourteen years, and with a total mileage of less than 200,000 km.
  • The warranty can be extended via your Official Porsche Centre service department prior to the policy expiring, following a technical inspection.
  • If your vehicle’s policy has expired, provided the ownership of the vehicle has not changed, the policy can also be extended once the vehicle has passed the multi-check inspection examination and any faults detected repaired using Porsche Genuine Parts.
  • All service tasks must be performed and documented as specified in the Warranty Guarantee and Maintenance booklet.

On 18/08/2019 at 04:52, Coastr said:

bet the gap in value grows to more than the warranty cost

Recently sold my 2014 Macan which I had continued the extended warranty. My experience was whilst a well optioned car and only 1 other advertised with the extended warranty the buyers didn’t value a premium for it, all wanted the cheapest price. I know I would take an extended warranty car over one without and possibly it’s model dependant.

• 1 month later...

I've just extended the warranty on a MY2017 Macan S.

Part of the deal is the car has to be professionally serviced, with genuine parts but not necessarily at a dealership, it's then inspected for any issues.

In my case a small oil leak was found around the timing case, the car was in the workshop for 10 days, it's an engine out repair. A brand new Macan was provided as a courtesy car. All under warranty. A friend in NZ with a slightly older Macan has just replaced a transfer case at 17k, he was able to renew his warranty while sorting that. Issues costing many $$$ to fix appear pretty common.

This would seem to put private cars with warranty on a similar level to dealer cars for secondhand buyers. You would definitely want to see a significant discount to be buying a secondhand car without extended warranty. Will private sale and dealer prices for secondhand cars now get closer?

• 1 year later...

Update! 

I just did my 5 year service yesterday on the Macan Turbo, and extended the warranty (it's a MY 2016 built) they now offer extension in blocks of 4 years, it works out to less than $1k p.a. which in my experience, definitely pays for itself... so I took that option and renewed the vows. 😜 

7 hours ago, edgy said:

Update! 

I just did my 5 year service yesterday on the Macan Turbo, and extended the warranty (it's a MY 2016 built) they now offer extension in blocks of 4 years, it works out to less than $1k p.a. which in my experience, definitely pays for itself... so I took that option and renewed the vows. 😜 

That is good news.  Thanks for the heads up.  Mine is due in December, so I will certainly look do the 4 year option this time.  I usually take the 2 year option which saves about $900.  The website is not updated yet as it still only shows the 1 and 2 year costs.  If it reduces to $4000 for 4 years that is a huge saving as doing it in four 1 year extensions is $1700 per year ($6800).   What a bargain.   

A question for the broader community though.  Does the extension still bring extra bucks at sale time?  I may not keep mine for another 4 years as looking to update to something else at the end of next year.  

43 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

That is good news.  Thanks for the heads up.  Mine is due in December, so I will certainly look do the 4 year option this time.  I usually take the 2 year option which saves about $900.  The website is not updated yet as it still only shows the 1 and 2 year costs.  If it reduces to $4000 for 4 years that is a huge saving as doing it in four 1 year extensions is $1700 per year ($6800).   What a bargain.   

A question for the broader community though.  Does the extension still bring extra bucks at sale time?  I may not keep mine for another 4 years as looking to update to something else at the end of next year.  

No idea on resale, but I do think it makes a late model car far more attractive to buy. 

4 years is $3,890.00 so $972.50 p.a. I was debating with myself about it, as I was going to just go with 2 years @ $2590 but I really have nil intentions to sell it any time soon, so it’s cheap insurance really! 

Just now, edgy said:

No idea on resale, but I do think it makes a late model car far more attractive to buy. 

4 years is $3,890.00 so $972.50 p.a. I was debating with myself about it, as I was going to just go with 2 years @ $2590 but I really have nil intentions to sell it any time soon, so it’s cheap insurance really! 

Yes, I also took up the 4 year warranty on the 911, cheap piece of mind IMHO.

I paid approximately 5-10% premium (over similar cars) for a one owner Panamera with existing warrantee. The car had a couple of issues, I took it in & Porsche covered the full 13k in repairs.....I will definitely extend until the 15th year. If they still built cars like the 993 you may not bother but these days the cars are so complex it's not a matter of if but when. The $1,000 per year will pay for itself at some stage !!

50 minutes ago, JWM said:

After having owned a 996 I don’t think I’d buy another 911 without the warranty! 😂

1 hour ago, GC9911 said:

I find it quite extraordinary how we have been 'educated' to protect ourselves from the manufacturer, particularly when we have such strong consumer protections in Australia and have done so for many years. 

In 2007, I bought a circa 55k high performance Japanese motor vehicle, and as standard it came with a 150k/5 year warranty and 10 years / unknown km on engine and drive train...no extra charge.  The only known issues with this car is when you start to go from 200kw (at 4 wheels) to 300kw (at 4 wheels), the transmission starts to wear prematurely.....

In 2021, you can buy a Kia or Hyundai and get 7 years warranty for free.  In the same year you can buy a Porsche for over 150k and up to 400+ k for a car and still need to buy warranty past 3 years.....

Porsche aren't the only ones - Harvey Norman, Dick Smith, Bing Lee et al all have similar offerings and it makes the news from time to time.

On 08/09/2021 at 18:53, Lucky Phil said:

In my case as a buyer yes it did. Recently bought a 981 boxster for the Mrs (which I will be “borrowing” a lot too) and I went for one with the Porsche warranty even tho there were cheaper ones advertised with lower kms. 

However many just want the cheapest so I say all depends on who’s looking at the time. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 08/09/2021 at 19:42, GC9911 said:

Anyone who is looking to take up the 4 year extended warranty offer, get in quick as the 4 year discounted offer is only available until 31 December 2021.  Mine is due on 9 December and I enquired yesterday and was told only available until 31 December, so I will be taking up the 4 year when it falls due.  It can be done on line too I was informed.

• 2 weeks later...