Bad news for N.S.W riders/drivers.

dobbo

The N.S.W liberal government has just announced the warning signs on mobile speed cameras will be no more and all traffic fines will increase. 

Of course this is in the interest of road safety not revenue raising so I'll  be looking forward to all the repaired roads around rural N.S.W due to the increased money they will receive. (yeah right)

We have them here from time to time.

I spoke to one of the operator's in a cafe. He said they get assigned because of complaints.

They're pretty much in the same position each time. It seems to me they stick to trouble spots like 50 and 60 zones.

I expect they are there and watch my speed.

When they start the no warnings signs I think oncoming drivers will blink ya so no big deal still get warned.

I feel sorry for the truck drivers, have done Brisbane to Adelaide via road many times over 20 years. I have never seen the roads this bad.

When I crossed the boarder back into Qld - the roads were an embarrassment. Welcome to Qld - be careful.

~}%£>~|%^££+^%> heads

I can almost live with with the 'speed kills' scam, but it's the corporate lying that shits me...

Speed cameras stopped reducing the actual road toll years ago.  Watch now for the threshold (percentage overspeed that is never acknowledged or revealed to the public) to be continually reduced as drivers slow down over time to drive at the sign posted speed limit.  Next step is to reduce speed limits on single lane carriageways to make money on the new group of "speeders" that will take time to get used to the new limits. 

Remember that 100% compliance = Zero revenue.  So 'non-compliances' need to keep being invented in order to penalise and meet budgets.  It's incredibly difficult for any public official to publicly 'poo-poo' anything that is labeled as 'saving lives', you come off as a redneck.  For the record I used to operate cameras and write fines in another life.

Here’s the thing, in the 70’s if you car could do over 100mph in your car, it was dangerous 

Today a Domino’s Pizza Delivery van could do that speed and be quite stable and safe

Why is the speed limit going down.

No issue with 40ks around schools or 50 in residential streets.

But 40ks on a nice windy road in the hills in the middle of nowhere- really 

2 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Here’s the thing, in the 70’s if you car could do over 100mph in your car, it was dangerous 

Today a Domino’s Pizza Delivery van could do that speed and be quite stable and safe

Why is the speed limit going down.

No issue with 40ks around schools or 50 in residential streets.

But 40ks on a nice windy road in the hills in the middle of nowhere- really 

Australian roads have never ever been safer than now...

2 hours ago, Fishcop said:

Australian roads have never ever been safer than now...

It's true.  It's all diminishing returns now, and the changes from year to year are just statistical abnormalities.

The only significant change they can still make is 30/40 zones in heavy pedestrian areas.  And that isn't really so much to do with the stopping distance but the survivability of the an impact with a car at that speed.  It was a Dutch study from memory that lead to the adoption of the 50km national suburban limit: basically if a car hits you at 60kph you've got a 20% chance of surviving, and at 50kph you've got a 50% chance.  That's from memory though, so don't quote me.

The rest (measures to reduce the road toll) is just faffing around the edges.  I wouldn't mind so much if it actually funded more cops on the roads catching the idiots or better roads so the speed limits could be increased.  If they wanted to make a seriously positive health impact, they would focus on removing stuff that increases trips times and frustrations/stress on the roads: right lane hogs, better lane guidance, driver education, reduced tolls, more clear-ways, etc etc.

2 hours ago, Fishcop said:

I can almost live with with the 'speed kills' scam, but it's the corporate lying that shits me...

It's the fact they are just trying to distract us from the corruption scandal unfolding right now that shits me... 😄 

Being a firie I have been to literally hundreds of motor vehicle accidents and I think I have been to less than 10 that were 'speed' related. They were primarily young kids who were driving like idiots and ran out of talent. 99% of the time it is distracted driving. 

1 hour ago, CapnHyaku said:

Mobile phone use mainly or is it even people drinking their coffee or eating and other stuff considered OK generally?

Obviously any of it is distracting, but mobile phones would be number 1 by a long shot, but so many people are just oblivious when they are on the road. Every time we are under lights and siren (in a huge red truck mind you), I will set off the rumbler (which you can physically feel for about 100m in all directions) and be smashing on the massive air horn and people don't see us. Every run I will be like that, right on someones bumper for 30 seconds or more before they finally notice, and you can see the instant they do because they suddenly jump on the brakes or jerk on the wheel.

P-platers should definitely have to drive manuals, so that they have to pay more attention to what they are doing, and it makes it much more difficult to use their phones, etc.

2 minutes ago, MFX said:

Obviously any of it is distracting, but mobile phones would be number 1 by a long shot, but so many people are just oblivious when they are on the road. Every time we are under lights and siren (in a huge red truck mind you), I will set off the rumbler (which you can physically feel for about 100m in all directions) and be smashing on the massive air horn and people don't see us. Every run I will be like that, right on someones bumper for 30 seconds or more before they finally notice, and you can see the instant they do because they suddenly jump on the brakes or jerk on the wheel.

P-platers should definitely have to drive manuals, so that they have to pay more attention to what they are doing, and it makes it much more difficult to use their phones, etc.

I also drive a fire truck (RFS) and concur with your version of events ... they have NFI ... 😡😡

Personally i have no problem with no warning signs for the mobile radar. Ok, we all know it's just revenue raising. 

I also think that anyone caught on a mobile phone whilst driving a motor vehicle should be suspended on the spot for three months. 

Tell me it's no different to drink driving, there is no doubt most people have no idea what is going on around them whilst distracted on a phone. Some people i have been in the car with can't even talk and operate a vehicle at the same time.

Being up higher in a van, I see people on phones, eating food out of a bowl, reading the paper/laptop, doing their makeup etc every day, and it's not just the youngens. 

It's sad that some learn the hard way by having an accident, or worse by killing themselves or someone else, yet how many times do people have to be told? 

We all drive our cars...enthusiastically at times so we're not angels (if you didn't, go buy a Prius), yet most crashes are just caused by stupidity and a lack of common sense. Been there, done that, and I've learnt from it.

You can't possibly teach common sense into a young driver, as they seem to know it all, so they do learn the hard way sometimes at the cost of themselves, their friends, their parents, and the emergency workers who are the ones that have to pull them out of a car and tell a parent their child is dead.

Radars and cameras are here to stay, as we all know its just a cash cow for the cops and the government, and their bullshit about saving lives is just that...utter bullshit, as they don't give a toss about you or anyone else, so you just have to use your noggin on the road. I got down to 3 points left for 2 speeding fines that were 3 kph over the limit, and one that was turning on a red light (swear it was yellow!) yet THREE KPH? F..k me, if thats not revenue raising I don't know what is! If I lose my license, thats me on the dole, so I've been a lot more vigilant for a while, and now back to having 9 points and I'm not losing any more...hopefully! 

35 minutes ago, firstone said:

I don't doubt it.

Still, one flash could be a bump on the stalk. 😉

I read up about that when this thread popped up. Technically it is illegal, but they'll fine you for using your high beam, not about warning theres a radar ahead for oncoming traffic

One of my pet peeves is the "pressure-wave" of traffic that forms around cameras; mobile or fixed.  The worst one in my experience was the westbound M4 just before Eastern Creek where some numpties would slam on the brakes at the camera and cause a tail-back.

I'm sure we all know about the over-read in our speedo's and the margin applied in enforcement.  However most people don't, and they freak out about 1kph over the limit, but they are reading their dashboard and probably are already doing 5 under and in no danger of getting a ticket.  If any of you are still doubting, these guys took one for the team to prove it: 

I often think if everyone aimed for the limit and knew if the needle was a bit over they are going to be fine... more time would be spent with eyes on the road instead of the dashboard.  Everyone would get where they are going faster and safer.

Dickheads, did they check the speedo accuracy as noted above - that would have made their video useful.  Both my 996.2 C2 and the 6.1GT3 speedo reads about 7-8% high - 117 indicated = 110 GPS.  Confirmed in the C2 when I had my cruise control at 120 indicated and mobile radar clocked me at 113 (in a 100 zone, got a warning whew!!!)

10 hours ago, LeeM said:

Being up higher in a van, I see people on phones, eating food out of a bowl, reading the paper/laptop, doing their makeup etc every day, and it's not just the youngens. 

It's sad that some learn the hard way by having an accident, or worse by killing themselves or someone else, yet how many times do people have to be told? 

We all drive our cars...enthusiastically at times so we're not angels (if you didn't, go buy a Prius), yet most crashes are just caused by stupidity and a lack of common sense. Been there, done that, and I've learnt from it.

You can't possibly teach common sense into a young driver, as they seem to know it all, so they do learn the hard way sometimes at the cost of themselves, their friends, their parents, and the emergency workers who are the ones that have to pull them out of a car and tell a parent their child is dead.

Radars and cameras are here to stay, as we all know its just a cash cow for the cops and the government, and their bullshit about saving lives is just that...utter bullshit, as they don't give a toss about you or anyone else, so you just have to use your noggin on the road. I got down to 3 points left for 2 speeding fines that were 3 kph over the limit, and one that was turning on a red light (swear it was yellow!) yet THREE KPH? F..k me, if thats not revenue raising I don't know what is! If I lose my license, thats me on the dole, so I've been a lot more vigilant for a while, and now back to having 9 points and I'm not losing any more...hopefully! 

I read up about that when this thread popped up. Technically it is illegal, but they'll fine you for using your high beam, not about warning theres a radar ahead for oncoming traffic

Ok so flip on and off the low beam. 😆