Auto to manual 993/964

Dutch68

Early days but researching the option of purchasing an auto 964/993 and convert to manual. Not sure if the project will be too expensive and best to purchase a manual...there just seems to be more autos available at reasonable money and manuals hitting big $$.

This will be a keeper so not too concerned about the originality.

Will run the options past Autohaus Hamilton and Buchanan however thought the forum may have some insight to assist.

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

34 minutes ago, Dutch68 said:

Early days but researching the option of purchasing an auto 964/993 and convert to manual. Not sure if the project will be too expensive and best to purchase a manual...there just seems to be more autos available at reasonable money and manuals hitting big $$.

Will run the options past Autohaus Hamilton and Buchanan however thought the forum may have some insight to assist.

(not trying to be a smartarse)  I wish I was there when you talk to Bruce Buchanan re this subject (I did).  I think a million people have asked him this.  His answer will be - it's completely doable if you have a donor manual car to pull all the parts across into your auto car.  If you are doing the spannering yourself it would be ok but the cost of your auto to convert/ manual donor car/ time & or Mechanic's fees would be prohibitive compared to just buying a good manual.

If I'm wrong Bruce apologies, maybe this was the LHD to RHD converstaion we had.  It's all a blur. 😃 

The big issue is going to be - where are you going to find the parts?  If you can find a wrecked manual car you could get them- but not many of those coming up and bidding on a manual 3.6/6spd is going to get spendy very quickly 

Yes I should revisit the Tiptronic...just always had my sights set on a three pedal given the daily is a flappy paddle. The point about sourcing the donor parts will be one of the challenges. Appreciate the comments. Cheers.

I had a pre 73 that was converted from sporto to manual about 25 years ago & even then it was very expensive (& ultimately diluted the value of an original car). I'd suggest you be patient & wait for a manual.....while the price differential on Carsales is currently about 40k+ I suspect that's more to do with limited cars being on the market over the Christmas period. Having a 993 manual I track the market closely & not that long ago there were a couple of manuals in the low 100's range. Alternatively drive a couple of tiptronics to get a feel for them. I drove a tiptronic as a daily for years & thought it was awesome. While I wouldn't use one on a track a well sorted tiper is perfectly useable (& reliable) for spirited country drives using it manually. I actually think 964/993 tipers are a bit of a bargain at current prices & the manual versions are definitely not 50% more car. Good luck, either way you'll have a great car !!

Completely depends on what you want to do with it but I have a 964 tip, have had it about 12 years now, use it always in manual and as an occasional daily and for spirited weekend drives and it is more than suitable for both. I've heard lots of people cast aspersions on the tipper and would guarantee 95%+ have never driven one. I'd suggest try a few out and see if you like them. They are only slightly slower off the mark than a manual, but once you're up and running they are the same as any other and in fact can be more pleasant to drive. 

In my defence, I have a manual track car so can satisfy all my left footed demons there! But no matter what, both the 964 and 993 are amazing cars to drive.

Good luck!!

On 02/01/2021 at 20:08, Dutch68 said:

I hope you do take on the conversion. The internet is littered with everyone (including me) saying it's too expensive or too hard.

You could be the pioneer to show us it can be done and it isn't that expensive!

I really hope you do it. 

Following mikes sentiments , just do it, if you can assemble all the parts required.

I also remember??? a 993 for sale and possibly was someone on here 3 years back? That had a tranny -tippie/man-  swap. 

24 minutes ago, michel said:

Following mikes sentiments , just do it, if you can assemble all the parts required.

I also remember??? a 993 for sale and possibly was someone on here 3 years back? That had a tranny -tippie/man-  swap. 

Yep - a really nice car from HK or SG..?

LA Dismantlers will sell you a conversion kit, gearbox, drive shafts, starter, linkages, clutch pedal etc $US18k, I am tempted to convert mine  but will wait and see how it performs when its back on the road after it’s restoration. I have seen 3 x 993 wrecks (all manuals) come up at auction in the US, all have sold around $US28k

4 hours ago, michel said:

also remember??? a 993 for sale and possibly was someone on here 3 years back? That had a tranny -tippie/man-  swap. 

I believe you're thinking of Ross's Silver 993 ex HK? If so, I was very close to buying that car, really nice example... even with the cheaper HK labour rates, it was obscene money back then, and I think he lucked out on buying the gearbox well from memory. 

7 minutes ago, edgy said:

I believe you're thinking of Ross's Silver 993 ex HK? If so, I was very close to buying that car, really nice example... even with the cheaper HK labour rates, it was obscene money back then, and I think he lucked out on buying the gearbox well from memory. 

This is the one ...

was /is very tasty 

6 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Tippers can be cool, but you have to own it... 

Spot on!  If you set out with a closed mind and an intention to hate it, you will!  Doubly so if you worry about what your mates think or the size of your dick.

Change the filter, flush with Castrol Transmax Z and take the time to learn how to use it, including throttle blipping on downshifts if you wish.

They are wonderful in a 90's technology way.  They are definitely not slush boxes  due to the early lockup but with only 4 ratios covering a speed range of about 260kph they are certainly not close ratio and it takes some effort to keep the engine on the boil in the twisties.

The ZF 4HP24 is reliable, well known and found in many other cars from Range Rovers, Jaguars to BMW's of the era.   Howver the Porsche programming is a bit special.

Knowing 993's start in 2nd unless you do certain things is one of the first tips for the newbies.

Have my 4HP2X cars been any less enjoyable than my 915/G50 cars?  No.  And certainly have never been left behind on SMT's.

Combined I've probably driven my Tipper/J Gate cars twice as far as my manuals.  (However I do drive a manual work car daily so not unpracticed with 3 pedals and do enjoy a perfectly executed heel and toe.)

So yeah, mark me down as an agnostic when it comes to transmissions.      

Fully agree.  This Mercedes (etc) 'box can be tweaked cheaply to start in first gear with a simple switch added.  I did this on my 1990 24-valve Merc. There are also software mods for the Tip change/sharpen shift points.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/01/2021 at 11:02, pocketscience said:

Throttle blipping on downshift with the tipper is key - once I discovered that (after reading Vic Elford's book) - I loved my 993 tipper even more! I manually drop into first for starts so need to research the "certain things" Peter mentions...

I've just bought a copy of Vic Elfords book, looking forward to reading the updated version.  Perhaps it will make me a better tipper driver too............I need all the help I can get..........

7 hours ago, Jason E said:

I've just bought a copy of Vic Elfords book, looking forward to reading the updated version.  Perhaps it will make me a better tipper driver too............I need all the help I can get..........

Vic got the only win for the Sportomatic too - Marathon de la Route, Nürburgring 1967 so he knows his 'non-manual' gearboxes!

The winning #14 Porsche 911 R Sportomatic driven by Hans Herrmann/Jochen Neerpasch/Vic Elford