Subaru Impreza/WRX Appreciation Thread

Similar to the Datsun 1600 Appreciation thread I started a few years ago we seem to have a few Subaru people in the group too.  I have had a couple, a WRX in the past and currently the first model Subaru Impreza (build date May 1993 so it's one of the first Imprezas to arrive here. One owner).  Here are a couple of pics.

DSC02055.JPG

6EB5681F-C419-40EF-B5AC-0A4CE1F06310.jpeg

Yes @Niko I agree they do hold a special place.  I can still remember the first time I drove WRXY after picking it up from the showroom.  Wow was all I could say.  I had not even test driven one.  I just bought it based on the Wheels Mag review.  Was sad when I sold it and still miss that car today.  I even kept the plates until last year when I sold them to a guy in Seaford.  Always thought I would buy another, but the current Old Impreza is a close as I got.

Nice one lads.

I was very recently looking into WRX ownership as an affordable hills/trackday/tarmac rally toy, and did a load of research and asking friends (thanks again @spiller )

I've wanted to do all of the above in the 911, yet blowing that up or stuffing it into a guardrail (again) isn't in my budget, so I thought an earlier tuned WRX with half a cage would be the ticket for some cheap(er) fun that aren't too expensive to fix or modify. I had driven one a few years ago with around 350hp and all the brakes and suspension sorted, and it was ridiculous! So much fun, and would've hosed anything I've driven in the hills. I shoulda bought that one for $10k 🙄

I've shelved the idea now, as I can't be bothered driving the 911 at the moment, so having another car will probably not get used either...and I really don't have the room. That, and I do need to spend some coin on the 911 to clean it up a bit.

If I didn't have the 911, I'd grab a Rex for sure, as the ones I looked at sub $20k were well worth the money with lots of mods that I'd do anyway, yet like everything else, they're values are gradually increasing, especially the earlier models.

Great little cars 

I worked for Subaru Australia in Sydney at probably the Zenith of the WRX... the early noughties.

So I got to drive everything up to and including the first of the 2.5 litre Sti's (I think they were nicknamed the hawkeyes). I also got to ride in a 22B with our press test mechanic and on drive days with the late great Possum Bourne and Cody Crocker

I remember being shown the prodrive WRC car that had just been purchased for Possum to use in the ARC. I think I resolved at that point that if I was offered the job I was going to take it..

Justin

I picked up an MY 1998 25th anniversary edition about 12 months ago (black exterior, gold wheels, leather interior, auto box) one owner with full service history. I planned on doing a 207 and 6 speed swap using STI parts but a young family and lack of space got in the way so I ended up tidying it and flipping it. Was a lovely car once sorted and looked awesome in black with the gold wheels. Dad bought an MY2000 when I was a youngen and I remember going for my first ride the night he brought it home as a brand new car. Very nostalgic feelings around the GC8s. I don't know if any other single model of car has created as much hype on the performance car landscape in Aus as the WRX did from about 1998-2001. That's saying a lot as it was in the times before the internet grabbed hold of car culture. Given they had such a large following despite this, speaks volumes as to how popular these cars were in their day IMO

Back in the day seemed like everyone I knew dumped whatever they had and got into a wrx.  Someone would get one, then take someone for a joyride, then that person would get one, and take their friends for a ride ... it was like a chain letter.  It’s easy to forget how crap Australian v8 cars were at the time, and how anemic most other turbos were.  I had mates with worked v8 utes but they all got dumped for a wrex after a fast drive.  One of my friend at the tIme got cancer and managed to cash in his super, spent it all on a wrex and wrung it’s neck until he couldn’t physically drive anymore.  RIP mate I still remember how happy that red wrex made ya.

Bought a 9 month old MY2000 identical to the one Niko posted, ran it as my everyday car for just over 3 years / 100k miles. Conservatively reckon it did over 70 trackdays across the U.K. and Europe, cost me a fortune in tyres and brakes 😂 but it was 100% reliable, not once did it fail to proceed. Absolutely brilliant car once you change all the suspension bolts for adjustable camber bolts to dial out the understeer with the Prodrive geometry settings.

26 minutes ago, Mike-S said:

Bought a 9 month old MY2000 identical to the one Niko posted, ran it as my everyday car for just over 3 years / 100k miles. Conservatively reckon it did over 70 trackdays across the U.K. and Europe, cost me a fortune in tyres and brakes 😂 but it was 100% reliable, not once did it fail to proceed. Absolutely brilliant car once you change all the suspension bolts for adjustable camber bolts to dial out the understeer with the Prodrive geometry settings.

Reckon the gc8's my99 / my 2000 were pick of the bunch.  A  my98 started my boost addiction. Always liked the evo 4 my 2000.  My brother brought a gc8 sti 4 door and two door around the same time.   The multiplier on  the  2 door over his purchase price is ridiculous. Eg On  paper  its been going   up by his intial purchase price annually since he brought it .   Also his on paper  return on a vic custom plate that contains gc8 on his $495 outlay is ridiculous as well.   Compared to my boosted  p car, the two door sti feels like  driving a tinny  go cart.   Feels fast but isn't, but there is something about that boxer engine  note  when you run a custom 3 inch exhaust and let it breath. That said unstangling a  boosted  mezger also has its benefits. 

The  service cost of his sti's are stupid cheap in comparison to my 996.

I was keen on this one for $15k recently. Thought it was a bit expensive, yet it had some good bits on it and they seem to go for that sorta money 

20210214-201104.jpg

Called about this one that had a bunch of decent gear on it, but the seller just sounded dodgy with why it wasn't running right and he had the old chestnut "I don't have time to fix it, as I have too many projects and I broke my back a few months ago" Hmmm...looked good with new paint though 

20210110-193219.jpg

Was looking at the WRX when I was shopping for my current daily.

Ended up buying an 04 Forester XT Turbo instead. Close enough to the same power of the WRX - 155KW vs 168KW. Total sleeper compared to the WRX so no extra interest from the constabulary and also much lower insurance premiums.  Low enough gearing in first and second that it can surprise a few cars at the lights...

Unfortunately pretty ugly. But handy as a wagon and from before when they got tall and bloated so still drives like a car.

502371647_Foresterandtrailer.thumb.jpg.5b55aa1dfacd290d9b9602b56b8c2646.jpg

Never did the WRX thing but I did have a brand new 2003 Liberty GT 2L wagon followed by another new Liberty GT sedan 2.5L.  The original 2L car was a zinger.  Auto but awesome fun. The later 2.5 just didn’t have the same revs or character.

I worked with a guy who loved his XR8, exhaust, tuned, suspension etc.  I took him for a blast in the wet and he was blown away.  Sold his falcon, bought a GT wagon and was soon thereafter a mod of one of the forums.  Converted.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Dalai said:

22B STI @sleazius? Sweet!

Looks like one, but no. Supposedly its a better drivers car but I wouldn't know as I've never driven a 22B.

Here is an article that got done when it came up for sale: https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/rare-subaru-impreza-gc8-wrx-sti-type-r-version-6-limited-for-auction

There is also a comparison article between the 22B and this in the 2019 Winter edition of Modern Classics, this car being on the cover. The owner before the one I bought it off owned both the cars (22B and type r limited) and preferred this to drive. It also has a higher power to weight ratio for whatever it is worth.

From my own limited experience, this thing is seriously quick. And I mean that in modern terms, I have no idea how it must have felt back in the day. Quite honestly one of the best street cars I've ever driven. A brand new WRX STi would not be able to keep up with this thing at all. "Where did he go?"

20220107_122430.jpg

3 hours ago, sleazius said:

From my own limited experience, this thing is seriously quick. And I mean that in modern terms, I have no idea how it must have felt back in the day.......

The Evo and STI were seriously underrated at the time. People saw them as only 2litre and 'ricer' but they were and still are incredibly capable compared to a car of today. The Evo was approx 100kw at the crank per litre of engine from the factory (what's a 3.4l Porsche or a 5.7l Holden achieve?) and had oodles in the back pocket for tuners before it needed much strengthening in driveline etc

And in relative terms, very cheap bang for buck, particularly the Evo (56k in 2007) which was considerably cheaper than the STI (65+). 0-100 in mid 5s seconds, cheap to service and cheap to fuel and run. The BMW M3 from memory was about 130k+ and didn't corner like these things could and could only just out run them.

Enjoy driving it Sleazius.

Here is my '97 GF8 WRX.
I picked it up for a song a couple of years back to flip, but it just stayed with us. Such a fantastic car for camping/dog hauling/ helping friends move/leaving overnight after a few too many drinks at a friend's.

I just serviced her yesterday at 315xxxKMS and still drives like a dream, terrible fuel consumption though.

Only mods are a boost T plumbed in and dialled to 16PSI. Absolutely love the dose factor, as does my other half. It also goes on club rego later this year. 

IMG_4627.jpg

IMG_4626.jpg

IMG_4625.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Been lurking for a little while, found a thread I can post in!

I have had two wrx.. a bug eye back when they were new.. and then the white my98 which I have owned for 4 or 5 years now.

The plan is to sell the wrx when I find the right p car... I have already sold another toy as part of the dream, a 70s celica, which finally climbed in value enough to get back what it all cost!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GQrQF321vzCZSgPc9