Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

A 991 GT3 RS up for auction:

https://www.slatteryauctions.com.au/product/3428/902113/online-prestige-car-auction/porsche-911-16 

or a 991 turbo S:

https://www.slatteryauctions.com.au/product/3428/902474/online-prestige-car-auction/porsche-911-16

The GT3 has low kms .. might be the right car for someone wanting to push an older GT3 down the line to me!!

1 hour ago, bear924 said:

A 991 GT3 RS up for auction:

https://www.slatteryauctions.com.au/product/3428/902113/online-prestige-car-auction/porsche-911-16 

or a 991 turbo S:

https://www.slatteryauctions.com.au/product/3428/902474/online-prestige-car-auction/porsche-911-16

The GT3 has low kms .. might be the right car for someone wanting to push an older GT3 down the line to me!!

has anyone dealt with slatterys .. arethere auctions better than the dodgy Lloyds  ones?

18 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I know someone who has a Kremer 934 in his super fund.  It's not even in the country and I don't think he's ever driven it, that is a real shame...  But bloody good asset to have though!!!

?? 

9 hours ago, symsy said:

has anyone dealt with slatterys .. arethere auctions better than the dodgy Lloyds  ones?

Yes I’ve dealt with them.. I had no issues 

The gt3 Rs has no logbook so should sell at a lower price 

10 minutes ago, James P said:

Yes I’ve dealt with them.. I had no issues 

The gt3 Rs has no logbook so should sell at a lower price 

Hard to imagine how you could buy a 991 RS new for $400k+ and lose the books.....?

5 minutes ago, James P said:

Repo I’d say 

The scary thing is that its in Viilawood for how long thats more the concern!!

Bid @DJM but let me know cos I will also ;) 

Tyre sesnors are on.. so must have been fitting , can you check the dates on em if you zoom , in ?  3000kms cant have any damage :)

Terrible colour ..wrap it though if forced 

Bid one fiddy?

13 minutes ago, symsy said:

3000kms cant have any damage :)

Give me this car for 3000km, if it’s not mine and no f&$ks given I reckon I could do some damage

dont they say when buying a car you’re  buying the owner.  Would like to know who owned this and had it repo’d and what he did in the car the night before collection.  Might explain Tyre warning light, new rears fitted for auction?  ?

14 minutes ago, DJM said:

Bid one fiddy?

Give me this car for 3000km, if it’s not mine and no f&$ks given I reckon I could do some damage

dont they say when buying a car you’re  buying the owner.  Would like to know who owned this and had it repo’d and what he did in the car the night before collection.  Might explain Tyre warning light, new rears fitted for auction?  ?

Ok I will have it for 200k and how much you paying per lap for the loan

9 hours ago, DJM said:

Bid one fiddy?

Was it repo'd or driven like it was in   deed stolen and recovered perhaps.  What's a set of 991 gt3 rs service  books worth on the under ground market. 

On 5/18/2018 at 8:52 AM, bear924 said:

The following is in reference to novated leasing, I'm unsure whether it is true for general leasing through a business etc.

I agree that FBT is a major factor when considering whether it's worth doing a lease. The key thing about FBT is that it can be offset by the equivalent amount of post tax funds.

For example - $100k car is subject to a $20k FBT cost. The FBT cost can be offset by paying $20k of post tax, per year into the car fund. $20k is a significant amount of money (in terms or car running costs), so therefore it only makes sense if the total running costs of the car for that year are unusually high. The only way a car would cost this much would be:

- Lease the vehicle for one year only. This would allow you to pay down 45% of the car's value ($45k in the example above), which would mean you'd get $25k of pretax money (presuming the car's value didn't decrease over that time). Key to this strategy is to purchase a non depreciating car. 

- Lease the car over a high maintenance period. If a car was visually in a fair condition (as in, someone will happily loan against it)  however was due for an engine overhaul. I imagine it would be possible to lease the car for a year and complete the engine work (or similar)1 in this period. Once again, the engine work would need to be greater than 20% of the car's value, otherwise it would make no sense to lease. 

When considering this, one needs to also consider the hassle of organising the lease and the high funding costs associated with leasing (my calcs suggest most novated leases have an interest rate of ~10-12%).

As a disclaimer - I'm not an accountant or someone who knows anything about leasing. I'm just a guy who does lots of kms in a dd and has spent some time understanding novated leasing so that I can reduce my commuting costs as much as possible. My typical approach is to purchase the least expensive car that can be leased and also meets my requirements. I then lease for as long as possible and use the difference in FBT costs and running costs to generate reduced operating costs overall... this equates to about $4k per year post tax. 

Not convinced on some of the numbers presented above( you did disclose might be the case) but some of your principles in the right circumstance apply as I see it generally. In terms of disclosure, I have a view on novated   leasing and have a piece of paper saying I'm a bean counter but that also means I can't give financial advice.  But can talk perhaps generally as a car enthusiast who is a boost junky who counts their own pennies and has some runs on the board who could be speaking absolute crap as well on a car forum.

Eg consider pathetically, 4 cars since 2002.  All have been on novated leases.  Out of the 4, still have two in the garage and one is currently on a novated  lease.  The first car brought back in 2002 on a come in spinner standard three yeasr novated  lease as a younger buck moving on from old non standard commodores to some  boost and that was the start of an addiction  eg come from a uni budget to a graduate budget.   Had no piece of paper then and classic piece of bean counter type advice  for free provided by the mercurial  Kerry Packed in a Senate's enquiry on how much tax did you pay and the response was along the lines its everyone's duty to minise legally the amount of tax ones pays to the you ( government) eg something insinuated along the lines of better to piss it away on what I want to as opposed to gifting it to you and you pissing it away that has no benefit to me or my business.   On a payg salary, hard to minise your average tax rate down.   EG order for consideration  if your starting at the highest marginal rate  is to consider is   it perhaps better to piss you salary away in excess of the sgc upto the limit to your own super account beforevit cists yoy, then load up on negatively geared investments ( not taking just property) and when that gets uncomfortable to a point and you have the reached the limits of your borrowing  capacity , if you can afford it, piss it away on your toy (car) as opposed to gifting dollars to the tax authority for them to piss it away on your behalf 

So after say the first  Lease,     If one  got more aggressive on salary sacrificing and more wiser and did a one year sale and lease back on a 12 year old boosted car you could adopt that  model and   then do  a one year sale and lease back on a 13 year old boosted genuine turbo badged P car Then after that ends up back to a more modern 7 year old high revving NA V8.  Last three cars mentioned were all pretty quick in their day from the factory.  Brought at nearly bottoms of the depreciation cycle and were all roadworthy vehicles that needed some extra TLc the years they were on lease for some reason.   Eg rubber bits age over time and with routine and preventative maintence  were much better to drive the first day after brought  after the lease  back than the first day they were  leased ..  Much fresher, stiffer , lots of newer  genuine  replacement  parts given the ones being replaced  and engines were all running better and freer flowing exhaust gases and more free flowing air in as if they were finely tuned.  Would one lease for more than a year and not have a very large maintenance budget (very undiscplined in that area) setup for the aged car relative to the FBT  impost?   NoF'nWay.  If one  had a circa  4% redraw facility and the car is not old, its a personnel view but I can't see how you can get in front with a novated lease if your in the category of a 20% impost ona tax office  impostwd market value of the car every year assesed at the start ofvthe lease, particularly if you go to the symsy school of negotiating and pay wholesale and not market.  EG penalised twice )leasing rates are circa  double the redraw rate).  And,   yes  you can punch a hole through salary service providers calculations on savings. .  

PS On a sale and lease back, those bottom end redbook values are spot on for  cars and have a high opinion on them.  When selling a  car back,  should be happy to sell at absolute  liquidation wholesale symsy offerings for a quick sale.  E.g. at the end of the lease, buying back at 65% plus gst( 45%  I wish) (eg the lower sale price the better and less after tax gst impost.  Plus   a Year 7 simple interest calculation tell you lower your interest payments by lowering the principle borrowed for a set interest rate. . Also forgot to mention, I have bad luck on getting replacement parts on euro cars. .  EG long lead times from overseas means car parked up a lot in mechanics workshops means days unavailable claims.  EG can't drive it so where's the benefit and hence look for days unavailabe dispensation for FBT. BEST to have a second non leased car available just in case.

To OP,  yes with the Payg  remployer, tied into the right leasing administrator tied into the right leasing financer (millionaires factory machine - 460million in buy backs  for employee bonus Schemes  - any Macquire bankers on here)  you can make a novated lease work on a roadworthy and insured piece of  40 year old classic P car  that is above the new car sales tax luxury threshold.

PS yes you can reduce Fbt using after tax dollars but what does that do to your cash flow eg I want to reduce tax from my pay to increase tax  cash flow earlier.

On 5/18/2018 at 8:14 AM, Ozvino said:

I am sure the forum has accountants who can advise. I think the days have past us where you could liquidate your toys as a tax write off. Even Tradies are getting whacked with the 80k Hiluxes they drive around in. 

My suggestion is be really cautious and think long and hard. I have looked into this in the past and its a very grey area probably best avoided. Sqelf managed Super isn't an option, I researched that. If you go the investment route (or even use the car as an "advertising platform") what you save on GST, you get screwed over with FBT and other areas. 

Dave

Dave  

Curious to see where your research landed with on  days unavailable for a novated lease ( one year sale and lease back) in the Fbt space when your cars on a hoist and say needs springs and shocks replaced and the cheapest option is 4 weeks delivery from an overseas supplier for the parts.  IF your a valued customer with your workshop can't you negotiate  a cheap hoist rate whilst your waiting for the parts and the invoice states car was in the workshop from day x to day y mainly waiting for parts delivery from overseas and you've been whacked a hoist rate as you wait..  Be interested in a tax accountants view on how the heck you can be receiving a benefit from the car when the keys are  at the workshop and its 2m in the air. on a hoist. If can't get a dispensation for that what constitutes a dispensation.

Comon sense would perhaps sugges 27 OR 28/365 X FBT VALUE OF LEASE X 20% is perhaps a crack of the calc for a possible deduct. 

Also what's the delivery on a replacement exhaust ( say cats are at  the  of their useful life and signs of pitting in stainless  could lead to pinholes. Economical shipping and  getting through customs takes how long these days to clear.    ?  

14 hours ago, symsy said:

Ok lets discuss this then .. value ..?

Stylish ?

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-2008/OAG-AD-15958633/?Cr=26

Who on earth would invest $850k to create THAT?  Same owner as the green 996 abomination perhaps?

i would have thought its worth LESS than a standard car because of the fugly result?

36 minutes ago, MFX said:

I had a brief look at this yesterday while I was walking the dog. It is very neat and very low k's but who do they think would pay $130k for it?

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2004/OAG-AD-15896472/?Cr=2 

Considering that Seal Grey one for sale privately at just over $100k has been on Carsales for what seems like at least 12 months, I'd wager the answer is: no-one... ?