Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

16 hours ago, James P said:

I have a 996 GT3 Cup for the track & have just picked up a 1998 cable throttle 996.1 C2 coupe manual with factory LSD, M030 sports suspension, leather sports seats & traction control that can be completely turned off. Its a basic car that gives you plenty of raw analogue feel, has WORKING A/C & is comfortable on long trips, its defiantly a drivers car.

Did you buy this one by any chance @James P ?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-5063151

On 25 February 2018 at 11:38 AM, tdc911 said:

This genuine guards red 993 GT2 just arrived in Melbourne from the UK. Video was from its time at Porsche Centre Leeds.

Not sure about  choice of music, falling apart and all that.....

stunning car but is it worth $2M more than this......?  Actually not a bad copy when you see them together.

cp5361693012914341618.jpg?aspect=FitWithinNoPad&width=480

1988 Porsche 911 Carrera Manual

• 55,000 km
  • Coupe
  • Manual
  • 6cyl 3.2L Petrol

Private

For more information on this vehicle please visit:
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1988/SSE-AD-4398544

19 minutes ago, DJM said:

Not sure about  choice of music, falling apart and all that.....

stunning car but is it worth $2M more than this......?  Actually not a bad copy when you see them together.

cp5361693012914341618.jpg?aspect=FitWithinNoPad&width=480

1988 Porsche 911 Carrera Manual

• 55,000 km
  • Coupe
  • Manual
  • 6cyl 3.2L Petrol

Private

For more information on this vehicle please visit:
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1988/SSE-AD-4398544

Bit of a sheep in wolfs clothing. At least it's supercharged I guess.

17 hours ago, JLD said:

I used to live in Middle Park about 16 years ago, and there was a Viper Green(?) 964 always parked on the street. I’ve never seen another like it, and I always wonder what happened to it....

Not this Signal Green one was it? I'd say there are not many 964s in Melbourne rocking such an amazing green like this. If this is the one you are remembering, it is still kicking around Melbourne, drove past my office earlier this month actually. 

4 minutes ago, poli84 said:

Not this Signal Green one was it? I'd say there are not many 964s in Melbourne rocking such an amazing green like this. If this is the one you are remembering, it is still kicking around Melbourne, drove past my office earlier this month actually. 

OMG I think that's it, I remember it being a little less glossy though... Such an amazing colour!

A few frustrated SC and 3.2 seekers have asked questions on 996 turbos . As I do , took my boots for a tyrekicking walk over the past 6 weeks, commentary on the 996 turbos..awesome cars,  tyre kicked a couple of manuals and know a few members of the tyrekicking association who have been active to.  The autos kinda ok , does need the chip to step up the pace of auto shift speed though. Comments I wont be specific,  lets just say check out the  warning lights and not the ones your stopped at waiting for the train to go by!!  Nuff said.  imagine if you feel if the lights went out and you were ready to move and then they came back on again ......  and again and again ... Happy hunting.   Lets me also say some of these said tyrekicked cars , have also been sold.. and not to me.   I also had the opportunity to listen in on the conversation of two other buyers in front of me.. "I wonder if has it been driven hard .. !!  The thought of a girl in a short skirt, long legs , boots came in to my mind .. and then I thought no she still has her virginity , look at that face shes pure.

Im with James P, glad I took more water in my diet last year.. shit get yourself a 996,  get an aero kit if your really worried what it looks like. In the traffic you will be cool and nobody will know its isnt a 996 GT3.  997 great value at the moment too. 

Driving a manual 996 Turbo definitely through a spanner in the works of my SC and 3.2 search. I've been waiting for one to come up for sale, but there's nothing. I was set on either an SC or 3.2, but have taken a step back now after driving one and am just watching a few different models. See what comes up first! 

If you haven't driven one I'd suggest you do. I had a grin ear to ear.

22 hours ago, James P said:

Very well said..

I just sold off all my air-cooled P-cars in the last 6 months & I'm going water cooled, yes i had a 997 GT3 but it was to aggressive for the road & not enough for the track so the answer for me is to have 2 cars for half the cost of a 997 GT3.. I have a 996 GT3 Cup for the track & have just picked up a 1998 cable throttle 996.1 C2 manual with factory LSD, M030 sports suspension, leather sports seats & traction control that can be completely turned off. Its a basic car that gives you plenty of raw analogue feel & has WORKING A/C & is comfortable on long trips, its defiantly a drivers car.

The 996.1 is the best bang for buck at the moment, they have less engine issues that the later ones do & feel better to drive, as the years go on all the well documented engine issues will get sorted by the enthusiast owners, the low cost of them now allows you to do the necessary reliability mods.. Happy Motoring..

Nice, James any chance of a pic of said 996.

I agree, the 996 has to be one of the most unappreciated cars ever. For me it was a case of wanting a car that did it all and some (turbo) in comfort. If your on the hunt for any 911, air cooled or not at least test drive a 996 or better still a turbo preferably a manual, if that doesn’t make you change your view on what bang for buck is nothing will.

It would appear that some of us who have experienced and loved air cooled cars are moving on, maybe we are ahead of the curve. :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, Fraz said:

I agree, the 996 has to be one of the most unappreciated cars ever. For me it was a case of wanting a car that did it all and some (turbo) in comfort. If your on the hunt for any 911, air cooled or not at least test drive a 996 or better still a turbo preferably a manual, if that doesn’t make you change your view on what bang for buck is nothing will.

It would appear that some of us who have experienced and loved air cooled cars are moving on, maybe we are ahead of the curve. :ph34r:

Great post and fitting that it was your 996th... 

996 FTW!

10 minutes ago, Fraz said:

No pic's yet its just a standard 996.1 C2 in white.. its getting some mechanical & cosmetic attention at the moment so ill be on the road soon 

38 minutes ago, Fraz said:

This conversation is starting to sound all to familar I had a beautiful 964 c2 back in the late 90's early 00's 95% of Porsche people disliked them "poor mans Porsche" "the ugly duckling" etc.. etc... and yes they became quite a cheap car because of this. Then just about when people were to send them to their grave they became the aforementioned; people that wanted a bang for buck Porsche got on them and started talking about how good they are..... and they are; then the next phase in this cycle is that these cars slowly become unaffordable, meaning a lot of people start getting priced out of the market its a natural ebb and flow of the markets. The 996 has since taken the 964's place as this "poor mans Porsche" probably about 5 years ago when it too turned around 15 years old. I guess what i'm saying is that some people maybe moving on from the air-cooled cars for varies reasons however affordability will be the main one . This has nothing to do with if the car is good or bad.... its more about how much the entry cost is for the masses and the age/depreciation cycle for the standard cars.  So if the entry level money starts going into 996's which it will to some degree money will start to come out of other markets ..... Question is where will this be? ...... and the cycle continues.

Would love a turbo for 1. To say I drive a 911 turbo- to myself- don’t like telling anyone other than an enthusiast that I have a 911, 2. The pull for the street- @Fraz car gets up an boogies from 0km and up! Hard to find. A few cabs have sold on Carsales apparently for good money low kms. Would be a good keeper car!

2 hours ago, symsy said:

@fraz  did you post the 964 yet ..  some of these boys are hungry 

Here it is.

Now this Aussie delivered 964 C2 manual, tan leather interior has been on car sales and been discussed on PFA before. Bit of background first. Shane the owner is a member here, however doesn’t post. Guess you would call him a lurker, I am doing this as a favour to him as he has been well and truly stuffed around trying to sell this car. Shane has a drama with his phone and reception at home, for this reason the phone number on the carsales ad was with a mate of his to take the calls on his behalf, he was supposed to pass on the details of any prospective buyer. Which in fact wasn’t happening, that and Shane has zero patience for ridiculous offers and time wasting. 

The car comes with a PPI, which almost never happens these days, has only traveled less than 800 km since this PPI. There is also an extensive file of service history and receipts including a top end engine rebuild, new tyres and suspension work.

Here is a few pics, anyone who is genuinely interested please send me your number via PM and we will have a chat and try and sell this car. I have zero vested interest in this sale except to see Shane in a 996. :ph34r:

Don’t let the higher mileage turn you off, the car presents and drives very well. I know a few here have seen it and commented at the recent Hanger Banger and couldn’t believe it didn’t sell.

Price, now he is ASKING $100K The car will come with a Vic roadworthy or unregistered if sold interstate. Both price and roadworthy maybe negotiated at the point of a deposit being paid and sales agreement being signed. 

9CBE4742-3DAD-4973-B617-CDBF46F5992407414E46-A594-47D2-B763-A554650C47C102BB0025-3C6E-430E-83BC-43CA2A1C2E7330445355-561A-421A-9042-368B5BCEF72AFAB73EB0-04D4-4EFB-8380-5D90917BA2AE

2 hours ago, Fraz said:

Here it is.

Now this Aussie delivered 964 C2 manual, tan leather interior has been on car sales and been discussed on PFA before. Bit of background first. Shane the owner is a member here, however doesn’t post. Guess you would call him a lurker, I am doing this as a favour to him as he has been well and truly stuffed around trying to sell this car. Shane has a drama with his phone and reception at home, for this reason the phone number on the carsales ad was with a mate of his to take the calls on his behalf, he was supposed to pass on the details of any prospective buyer. Which in fact wasn’t happening, that and Shane has zero patience for ridiculous offers and time wasting. 

The car comes with a PPI, which almost never happens these days, has only traveled less than 800 km since this PPI. There is also an extensive file of service history and receipts including a top end engine rebuild, new tyres and suspension work.

Here is a few pics, anyone who is genuinely interested please send me your number via PM and we will have a chat and try and sell this car. I have zero vested interest in this sale except to see Shane in a 996. :ph34r:

Don’t let the higher mileage turn you off, the car presents and drives very well. I know a few here have seen it and commented at the recent Hanger Banger and couldn’t believe it didn’t sell.

Price, now he is ASKING $100K The car will come with a Vic roadworthy or unregistered if sold interstate. Both price and roadworthy maybe negotiated at the point of a deposit being paid and sales agreement being signed. 

9CBE4742-3DAD-4973-B617-CDBF46F5992407414E46-A594-47D2-B763-A554650C47C102BB0025-3C6E-430E-83BC-43CA2A1C2E7330445355-561A-421A-9042-368B5BCEF72AFAB73EB0-04D4-4EFB-8380-5D90917BA2AE

Cracker car and great value imo

7 hours ago, rminc said:

Driving a manual 996 Turbo definitely through a spanner in the works of my SC and 3.2 search. I've been waiting for one to come up for sale, but there's nothing. I was set on either an SC or 3.2, but have taken a step back now after driving one and am just watching a few different models. See what comes up first! 

If you haven't driven one I'd suggest you do. I had a grin ear to ear.

May i suggest if not done so already, drive a tweaked one instead.

How high did you run the boost gauge up to?.  If you got a grin ear to ear at a pissy 0.7bar on a stock one, just think smile on you dial if you can run up another 40 to 70 percent more boost.  Up their with the best bang for buck cars to tinker with without having to open up the motor.  However appears very few in Oz have an appetite for upping the boost and have no clue what they are missing out on.  

With the benefit of hindsight as I wait patiently for some special replacement k16 snails, reckon the sweet spot or point of diminishing tweaking return vs effort and dollars spent   on a 996tt after sorting out 16 year old plus rubber bits is any variant of a 997 shifter mechanism,  custom  tune, exhaust, and 997gt2rs intercoolers. Eg best to get you spanner working on undoing a few bolts on a watercooled of the boosted kind vs aircooled.  Result is a  massive improvement in throttle response and shifter feel,  gt3 ish mezger engine note when your on it, much bigger shove in the seat whilst keeping the  iat's down for a mere 10k grand more over a stock one, 6 hours of spanner time and 6 or so logging sessions doing third gear pulls and some logs at Wot.