Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

I emailed old mate about this car earlier in the week asking if it’s an import and could he back up the power claims with Dyno sheets.

Answer was it’s a UK import and its not been on a dyno due to 4WD cars viscus centre coupling not been able to be run on a dyno. But its a very fast car...

Riiiiiiiiight. 

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-3261389

cp5057649709829748856.jpg?aspect=FitWith

still.... It would make an awesome track weapon! No need to feel guilty about ruining a good Aussie TT! 

?

I emailed old mate about this car earlier in the week asking if it’s an import and could he back up the power claims with Dyno sheets.

Answer was it’s a UK import and its not been on a dyno due to 4WD cars viscus centre coupling not been able to be run on a dyno. But its a very fast car...

Riiiiiiiiight. 

Nice jab, but don't understand why you have not kept you head off the center line and throw another one with that weak block.  Surely a quick fire response along the lines of if I  was to do a PPI, would the owner have objections to me having the front drive-shaft removed from the vehicle to run it on the dyno in 2 wheel drive mode to get a arwkw reading was worth firing off   PS On paper, seems the turbo's and rods are a big tick on supporting that horse power claim (perhaps needs some downward discounting for an Australian dyno) .   Supporting mods to those two key pillars are here nor there, but wouldn't be my choices for chasing that power.  But the other third key pillar of who tuned the car seems to be lacking some disclose.   Anyone know who the tuned the car as in my mind, a lot can be surmised from that piece of information.

Great looking car. Sold a year or two ago after hanging around for ages for around $125k from memory. Apart from the first shot of it the photos are all from that prior listing which is why I am sure it's that one. 

18 hours ago, smit2100 said:

Sandy468   White 996T S in Vic  150k  On your way for a spin with that deposit in hand ??

Thanks heaps for the headsup Smitty and thanks JWM etc for the further info - I was on it soon after it listed. Unfortunately I'm up in QLD for Easter so I managed to get a mate who knows his stuff to see it this morn. Like the Atlas Grey Turbo S I looked at a week back and discussed a few pages back, this one too had "ïssues"! Drat! Double drat!!

Both rare cars these Turbo S's and sought after but different issues that make them almost impossible to buy at the price they want (well for me anyway). Atlas Grey one sold for $175,000 the owner said (and had no service books) and the white one today asking $150,000 but I think he's after more, as after being asked about a behind the scenes auction he said he's "after as much as I can get", Very nce guy and pretty genuine apparently but unfortunately the car's issues are:-

It's touted as the only white one in Aust and halfway through the inspection when the colour plate on the inside guard (missing) cant be found, my mate is told it was originally black and painted white upon the first purchase when it was new as the owner couldn't order one in white - proof of that? A stat dec from someone who doesn't appear as an owner in the service books. Sticker in service books verifies it's black.....So it's not the original colour strike 1! ..... Front and back ceramic discs are noted in Porsche service receipts from 2012 as being warped and with the car at 80,000ks they probably need new ones now. He had Porsche quotes there with the last service receipt a month back for new ceramic rotors (around $30,000) and that probably scared the hell outta him..... So it soon, if not now, needs new ceramic discs ....strike 2 (and 3!) ... and a couple of other things apparantly, 5 previous owners, new windscreen needed, gear shifter a bit "loose" side to side, rams in spoiler one leaking, heaps of scuffs on back of seats, front and back bumpers been painted, (at 80ks all expected I guess).

So, there goes another one out the window but oh well, I'm going to the beach! Enjoy your Easter gents :)

Okay -  I know none have sold but what's got punters now thinking a 993 4S is worth anywhere between 200K to a crack smoking 320k!

Seems like the Turbos are dragging up the other wide bodied 993 cars!

Black 993 TT sold recently in the mid twos and a Pommie  993 4S for about 150K that seems to be the market where a few punters feel comfortable to pass over the bucks.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1996/SSE-AD-3930110/?gts=SSE-AD-3930110&gtssaleid=SSE-AD-3930110

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1996/OAG-AD-12591703/?Cr=0

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1997/SSE-AD-3914404/?Cr=1

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1996/OAG-AD-12457480/?Cr=2

18 hours ago, smit2100 said:

Sandy468   White 996T S in Vic  150k  On your way for a spin with that deposit in hand ??

Thanks heaps for the headsup Smitty and thanks JWM etc for the further info - I was on it soon after it listed. Unfortunately I'm up in QLD for Easter so I managed to get a mate who knows his stuff to see it this morn. Like the Atlas Grey Turbo S I looked at a week back and discussed a few pages back, this one too had "ïssues"! Drat! Double drat!!

Both rare cars these Turbo S's and sought after but different issues that make them almost impossible to buy at the price they want (well for me anyway). Atlas Grey one sold for $175,000 the owner said (and had no service books) and the white one today asking $150,000 but I think he's after more, as after being asked about a behind the scenes auction he said he's "after as much as I can get", Very nce guy and pretty genuine apparently but unfortunately the car's issues are:-

It's touted as the only white one in Aust and halfway through the inspection when the colour plate on the inside guard (missing) cant be found, my mate is told it was originally black and painted white upon the first purchase when it was new as the owner couldn't order one in white - proof of that? A stat dec from someone who doesn't appear as an owner in the service books. Sticker in service books verifies it's black.....So it's not the original colour strike 1! ..... Front and back ceramic discs are noted in Porsche service receipts from 2012 as being warped and with the car at 80,000ks they probably need new ones now. He had Porsche quotes there with the last service receipt a month back for new ceramic rotors (around $30,000) and that probably scared the hell outta him..... So it soon, if not now, needs new ceramic discs ....strike 2 (and 3!) ... and a couple of other things apparantly, 5 previous owners, new windscreen needed, gear shifter a bit "loose" side to side, rams in spoiler one leaking, heaps of scuffs on back of seats, front and back bumpers been painted, (at 80ks all expected I guess).

So, there goes another one out the window but oh well, I'm going to the beach! Enjoy your Easter gents :)

Sorry to hear that.  I was going to comment about the only one being white (eg really good modified one two  years ago was white, don't suspect its the same car, or if it was one hell of a transformation in three years, eg stock, to highly modded body, exhaust  and wheel wise, back to stock)  .   Don't let PCCB's put you off, based on my research, 1) Suncoast Porsche in the US do a  back to steel kit for off the off shelf price of  USD $1750 (Is it going to be that huge a difference for street driving???? swapping out PCCB'S).  Not going to help warped, but a place in Europe, can resurface the ppcb discs  and full sets (discs and calipers and pads) that comeup in the US (second hand for circa USD 6k add came up three days ago on the US forums - not sure how good the discs are but (some adds I have seen have said replacing to go to 2 piece steel rotors  for tracking, and you can offload calipers in the set to contribute to resurfacing.

Yes, unforteunately for 996 turbo's,  it seems to be a bit of journey going from getting excited about a new princess on the market and actually taking one home so some patience is required.  After JWM's mail, seemed a bit odd that the add would use Lorbek photo's from 2012 (service book photo's went to end of 2012 and then no photo's since (eg  only when Lorbek had it)  but the add said full Porsche dealer service history.  Maybe showed the car in the best of its former glory.  

But, appears to be a nice clean  recently Vic registered (new plates at least) 997.1 turbo (looked like the precast wall in Richmond I  am becoming customed to seeing as a backdrop to many of Weltmeister's photo's adds).

Riiiiiiiiight. 

That's laughable I've had mine on the dyno after I got the turbos and tune from Kevin at UMW and when we fitted the 997.2 intercoolers to it.

Nice jab, but don't understand why you have not kept you head off the center line and throw another one with that weak block.  Surely a quick fire response along the lines of if I  was to do a PPI, would the owner have objections to me having the front drive-shaft removed from the vehicle to run it on the dyno in 2 wheel drive mode to get a arwkw reading was worth firing off   PS On paper, seems the turbo's and rods are a big tick on supporting that horse power claim (perhaps needs some downward discounting for an Australian dyno) .   Supporting mods to those two key pillars are here nor there, but wouldn't be my choices for chasing that power.  But the other third key pillar of who tuned the car seems to be lacking some disclose.   Anyone know who the tuned the car as in my mind, a lot can be surmised from that piece of information.

Why would you need to run it in 2wd to put it on a dyno?

Riiiiiiiiight. 

Is this the same car as the one thats been  for sale for over a year ?

That's laughable I've had mine on the dyno after I got the turbos and tune from Kevin at UMW and when we fitted the 997.2 intercoolers to it.

Why would you need to run it in 2wd to put it on a dyno?

You don't .... Smit was just giving Uncle a return email idea to call the dudes bluff (well that's how I read it anyway) .....

I get quite a chuckle out of reading ads like that. Sorry to say, but it makes the seller sound like a total knob.  And I see by his ad they're making 997's again

800hp is like having a 15 inch dong. Where you gonna put it? Talk about horsepower!

I feel real sorry for the people who used to ride 2 1/4 hp motorcycles.

I feel real sorry for the people who used to ride 2 1/4 hp motorcycles.

You would be in rarefied territory owning one of these back in the day (btw a winner in battle,  from contemporary accounts)

http://www.eternalegypt.org/EternalEgyptWebsiteWeb/HomeServlet?ee_website_action_key=action.display.element&story_id=&module_id=&language_id=1&element_id=60370&ee_messages=0001.flashrequired.text

I'll wager you'd be getting a bigger adrenaline rush than flooring that 800hp wheelspinner

Why call the sellers bluff ? He clearly has no interest in full disclosure. The dyno thing is laughable at best. 1000AWHP GTRs seem just fine with it. He can’t back up the power claim because it’s not making the power. If it did he would be like “yeah boi heres the chart!” 

I didn’t jab. I walked away from the fight. You can’t win fighting with idiots because they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

You don't .... Smit was just giving Uncle a return email idea to call the dudes bluff (well that's how I read it anyway) .....

Yes spot on to call the bluff.   Having lived in Perth (it was a  Perth car over twelve months ago) , I can side with the owner to a point (but agree not being able to do a at all  4 wheels dyno reading is BS).  That is, not convinced their are a lot of Porsche or Euro Indies, that have dyno's let alone awd dyno's in Perth. Unless Perth has changed recently, can only recall a couple of 4wd dyno's at any reputable speed shops / workshops (Garage 101,  X speed and united injection).  Given we are not dealing with Japanese marks or Four wheel drives, I wouldn't be handing over my Porsche keys over to any of those shops and volunteering any dyno print outs from them in support of HP claims.  Call me a skeptic, but I am not convinced any of those shops they would even know where to position the fans to mimic natural airfow going through 996tt intercoolers without a prompt.  2wd reading opens up more reputable performance shops that have 2wd dyno's as I saw it.  That said I think dyno's are indicative at best and put the same car on three different dyno's at three  workshops with similar ambient temps and you will get different results .  I'd take a quarter mile run, 0 to 100km/hr  / 60mile times, other trap speed times over a dyno printout for HP and Torque.

PS From the Syms'y school of fine arts, in the interest of some disclosure, perhaps we could pass the hat around and all chip in for a Cobb accessport  or perhaps if I order one, have it make a detour via Perth for some logs and trap times  as part of an extended test pilot session.  Then I could have the accessport  forwarded onto me re registered back to my vehicle id no.

Edited by smit2100

The timed butt dyno? Most sellers aren't keen on that type of PPI.

Most sellers don't claim circa 700 plus hp either without something behind the claim. Still have no clue what spec turbo's or who tuned it, could get a pretty good indication from that on potential at least, but potential and actual results are like advertised prices and selling prices in a buyers market   Cobb accessport should take out any reflex reaction issues associated with Butt dyno times.  Surely a butt dyno run, can't be any worse than some advise I read that said in a test pilot run, go pretty slow in 4th gear and then stop on somewhat and see  what happens.

PS Its funny I called this car out on its price a few months back only to be ridiculed by some. Is it still worth 125k

Still don't get the whole dyno it in 2wd thing to humour him or call his bluff, I'd flat out state it can be done.

Anything with decent turbos, 5 bar and good intercoolers with a strong clutch is going to trap 125+ mph.  After that if he thinks its making more than 600 ish hp its up against the limits of the stock fuel system and things start getting expensive from that aspect and the rods etc.  I agree I doubt it makes 700hp without knowing more but I guess it doesn't really matter.  He's happy with it which is the main thing :)

With the dyno's though I agree they are only useful as a tuning tool, for before and after comparisons and checking of tunes.  The numbers don't mean anything as there is variability from dyno to dyno, rather what you can get if you used the same one is a like for like comparison.

The only dyno that counts is the big black one that never lies!

Just find a me a well priced hot rod , a 356 Outlaw project and or GT3 , all at reasonable prices and somewhere to park em will ya….

Carsnails Network must be hurting , the lack of cars is killing me 

A real shame, I thought that white one might have been alright originally! 

Have you investigated this one - http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2001/SSE-AD-3758603/?Cr=13 I thought it sold a few weeks ago actually but either I was mistaken or perhaps the deal fell through or something.