Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1978/SSE-AD-4045054/?Cr=27

Certainly swinging toward a buyers market, something like 15 SC cars available at the moment, without counting the more favoured? 3.2 Carreras and earlier narrow body IB cars.

I'd suggest a discerning buyers market. 

As good cars are good cars irrespective of model. Maybe good 928's and I stress good are now mid 20's cars?

Invited to Look at an alleged 944 S turbo yesterday. Asking a lot for a highly modified track weapon . Makes the blk one on car sales good buying. If in good nick

Edited by michel

Can't believe how many sub $60k pre-84 911's are on carsales right now!  Most seem to be imports or non original but it's a lot all of a sudden.

Hold onto yours a little longer. I believe it is a buyers market at the moment

I believe it is a buyers market at the moment

Maybe so but there doesn't seem to be much successful negotiation happening!  Sellers appear to be happy to hold out on there price and are in no apparent hurry to sell.

I guess you call that stalemate!

Can't believe how many sub $60k pre-84 911's are on carsales right now!  Most seem to be imports or non original but it's a lot all of a sudden.

take out the convertibles and ones with butchered bodies, and you're left with a couple of nice coupes above 60k and a couple of imports around 60k.

theres only the mocha black, green mid year and red LHD and maybe one other you'd look at IMO.   

Still nowhere near back to normal, and it looks like the new level for an import is around 50 and the new level for an Oz car is around 65.  Plus or minus on condition.  Given where the dollar is at, that's still pretty reasonable against world prices.

not all Porsche owners are wealthy.....

I'm certain this is not lost on most, some probably not, but most.

Yeh we all know that a few years ago it was mainly the 'enthusiast' tooling round particularly in pre 84 cars. But times a change and so do some of the owners. Age and money confound us all. 

Pricing is what it is and mostly here to stay unless there are other external factors that wreak mayhem and if it does? Will it only impact the highly leveraged inner urban dwellers and aspirants ?? Who knows. But it's unlikely you'll see the same extent of price correction that occurred post GFC with the oz muscle market.

can't afford a 930 turbo? By a 944 turbo. Just gotta have a 911 73 MFI ? By a lhd 912.

always options

Edited by michel

I'm certain this is not lost on most, some probably not, but most.

Yeh we all know that a few years ago it was mainly the 'enthusiast' tooling round particularly in pre 84 cars. But times a change and so do some of the owners. Age and money confound us all. 

Pricing is what it is and mostly here to stay unless there are other external factors that wreak mayhem and if it does? Will it only impact the highly leveraged inner urban dwellers and aspirants ?? Who knows. But it's unlikely you'll see the same extent of price correction that occurred post GFC with the oz muscle market.

can't afford a 830 turbo? By a 944 turbo. Just gotta have a 911 73 MFI ? By a lhd 912.

always options

I know.. It's just heartbreaking seeing cars get further and further out of reach. I always wanted a 356, but $200k seems to be the start price these days. To me this is ridiculous, as I want a car I can drive and a $200k vintage car is too expensive to drive. 

The trick may be to buy a newer and currently less "desirable" Porsche (996, 928, 944, etc) and when prices have gone up sufficiently upgrade to one closer to what you want and/ or your financial situation has changed. You may never get what you ultimately wanted (Hey I would love a 959, etc......) but you will have a lot of fun trying to get there :) 

I love the 928 so was a bit easier for me, but I still had to wait and I am never going to sell it now :D (and 928s now appear to be on the rise...)

I know.. It's just heartbreaking seeing cars get further and further out of reach. I always wanted a 356, but $200k seems to be the start price these days. To me this is ridiculous, as I want a car I can drive and a $200k vintage car is too expensive to drive. 

there's a 356 right now for 145 on car sales.

on the subject of 200k 356's the silver one on car sales (CTS?) was only $50k four years back. Was owned a long time by  the venerable Kevin Drage. Google him a HOey wouldn't be the same without him 

Yes, the disheartened SC buyer should spare a thought for the out-of-luck 356 aspirant.  A slow, archaic but classic car priced into the stratosphere.  

There are those who say the impact bumper Porsches can never reach the same heights due to sheer numbers of production.   But the balance is always between buyers and available cars.   There is always going to be pressure upwards unless everyone goes broke and has to sell.  I don't owe money on mine but I do have a mortgage so if pressure came the car would go first.  It could happen, but I wouldn't wait for it as you might get grey and creaky in the meantime.

I took an interest in Porsche late. Only 2yrs ago. There were plenty out of my reach even then. I wanted the Cayman look and mid engine chassis but settled on a Boxster S as it was within my comfortable, don't have to sell budget. I can't see me ever selling it. It's so affordable and I love the feel of it. I'd love a ............

So I sort shit out so I can one day.

Just get into a Porsche. ?

Totally agree mate, though passion for the Porsche brand far outweighs SOME owners who just write a cheque.

This forum has such a diverse membership of those who can easily afford it, and those who just have a passion for these cars, and will bust their arse to achieve ownership. I've dreamt and waited nearly every day for 40 years to get one, and I'm pretty bloody proud to say I now own a Porsche

That could be true but I think there are two bigger factors at play here that allows the older cars to hang around for sale for months and months:

• They are rarely daily drivers so no pressing need to swap.
  • The opportunity cost is negligible as the interest rates are so low there is no real incentive to have the money in the bank or conversely, your loan paid off.

I think Adam summed up the new reality well above.   

Edited by Peter M

The trick may be to buy a newer and currently less "desirable" Porsche (996, 928, 944, etc) and when prices have gone up sufficiently upgrade to one closer to what you want and/ or your financial situation has changed. You may never get what you ultimately wanted (Hey I would love a 959, etc......) but you will have a lot of fun trying to get there :) 

I love the 928 so was a bit easier for me, but I still had to wait and I am never going to sell it now :D (and 928s now appear to be on the rise...)

Get into a 996.  Great value and I reckon is coming out of its ugly duckling phase.

Totally agree mate, though passion for the Porsche brand far outweighs SOME owners who just write a cheque.

This forum has such a diverse membership of those who can easily afford it, and those who just have a passion for these cars, and will bust their arse to achieve ownership. I've dreamt and waited nearly every day for 40 years to get one, and I'm pretty bloody proud to say I now own a Porsche

Let's not forget that there are people who can afford these cars relatively easily but are also very passionate.  I personally had posters on my walls, built the scale models, dreamed and dreamed and dreamed and never thought it would come true.  But life is long and it's been good to me in the last few years but I'll never forget the burning fire in me to own beautiful sports cars.  At last it's quenched, but it was a long wait...

of course not, they own a porsche :P  very effective at converting large amounts of money into tiny ones.

not being wealthy, to me, that's even less incentive to let go; i don't have piles of cash to buy another 911 if i had seller's remorse.

Edited by clutch-monkey

Get into a 996.  Great value and I reckon is coming out of its ugly duckling phase.

Let's not forget that there are people who can afford these cars relatively easily but are also very passionate.  I personally had posters on my walls, built the scale models, dreamed and dreamed and dreamed and never thought it would come true.  But life is long and it's been good to me in the last few years but I'll never forget the burning fire in me to own beautiful sports cars.  At last it's quenched, but it was a long wait...

I had mentioned that before I edited my post, yet forgot to put it back in!

I have no question whatsoever that there are more well healed than myself who are as passionate as I am about Porsche, and I do know one multiple 911 owner who practically breathes them. I was lucky 3.5 years ago before the price explosions, yet saying that, I worked bloody hard for it too.

I treat every Porsche enthusiast exactly the same no matter what their background is, as we all share that common bond of ownership, and I would like to think that I will be treated the same way by them