What's putting a smile on your dial?

Had a great week at the Adelaide 500 races.

Got a message from Ron Goodman a few weeks ago, asking if they could use my local tradie/building services to help the team set up some displays of 6 of his cars, with one (the radial powered Aero 356) at the Kindig Customs car show, and the rest out front of the Porsche motorsport pavilion attached to the Carrera Cup teams.

I'd only known Ron via Instagram when I asked how I could buy a few Tshirts he was handing out in 2016 at Laguna Seca, yet to my surprise he sent a couple of tees and hoodie free of charge, and we've been in contact now n then since then, and met him 3 years ago when he visited Adelaide. 

Met up with the great crew on Tuesday to unload the flat top truck, trailer and the semi trailer containing 4 cars to set everything up which went smoothly, then it was just basically chilling out until the first day of the 500 on Thursday. 

The most we did all week was handing out thousands of very cool art deco style posters of Ron's cars and talking to the public about them (I did a crash course of learning what was what and how things were done to all the cars), and cleaning the cars and displays to keep them looking tip top. If you haven't seen Ron's cars in person, you have no idea of the level of quality they are until you have, especially when they are 'just' race cars. The paint on all of them is flawless, and probably rivals whatever you have in your own garage...they're that good! 

Saw a bit of racing from inside turn 8 now n then, caught a big crash into the wall on video, yet mostly just walked around now n then dodging the thousands upon thousands of people from Friday onwards. It was absolutely chockas! My pass gave me access all areas, so that was great getting into the main pits, yet to me the best experience I thought was going to be seeing and hearing the 906 in person, yet that turned into my 2nd favourite, as it was Ron and his team of great people who made the whole week for me.

You won't find a more dedicated bunch of people that are not only hard working, but bloody funny at the same time whilst taking the piss out of each other. Most of them have been travelling with Ron here and to the USA competing or charity events for years, yet a couple of them do it in their spare time from their high profile (unmentionable) normal jobs, and I was told quite a few stories that had us laughing every day. 

Also got to hear one of my old favourite bands, Icehouse, do a soundcheck prior to their gig (Iva Davies vocals sounded incredible after nearly 40 years) and a few other Aussie bands. Then it was an equal first favourite which was the F35 fighter jet fly overs. I love jets more than anything, and I always wish I'd gone to an event when they're flying over, yet Saturday and Sunday we were treated to some crazy handling displays and low fly overs that vitamised my earballs! Fanbloodytastic to watch and hear.

If you've ever done any sort of racing, you know how long the days can be with setting up, doing your thing etc, and there's never enough time in the day, and this was no different except we weren't racing, so we all got a bit bored now n then, but overall the whole experience was one that I thoroughly enjoyed and would do again with that crew in a heartbeat.

Overall, the Adelaide 500 has to be up there with the best event in Australia, and a lot of people from Sydney and especially Victoria that I spoke to (which was a LOT) said it far surpasses the F1 circus in Melbourne, so suck on that you Mexicans! 😅😉

A massive thanks to Ron and his whole team for the opportunity 👍

Just a few of the thousands of photos I took

20231121_183036.jpg

20231122_111006.jpg

20231124_095001.jpg

20231124_122801.jpg

20231126_144803.jpg

20231121_170402.jpg

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

Got a message from Ron Goodman a few weeks ago, asking if they could use my local tradie/building services to help the team set up some displays of 6 of his cars, 

A massive thanks to Ron and his whole team for the opportunity 👍....

Sounds like it was a nice way to (almost) end the year Lee, after all the crazy you've had to endure, it's nice to hear of your weekend of fun 😄

59 minutes ago, jakroo said:

Sounds like it was a nice way to (almost) end the year Lee, after all the crazy you've had to endure, it's nice to hear of your weekend of fun 😄

Thanks mate 👍

Yeah it's been a pretty bloody average year to be honest, yet you just pull your socks up and get on with it. This was definitely the highlight of 2023 that's for sure 👍

18 hours ago, LeeM said:

Got a message from Ron Goodman a few weeks ago, asking if they could use my local tradie/building services to help the team set up some displays of 6 of his cars, with one (the radial powered Aero 356) at the Kindig Customs car show, and the rest out front of the Porsche motorsport pavilion attached to the Carrera Cup teams.

I'd only known Ron via Instagram when I asked how I could buy a few Tshirts he was handing out in 2016 at Laguna Seca, yet to my surprise he sent a couple of tees and hoodie free of charge, and we've been in contact now n then since then, and met him 3 years ago when he visited Adelaide. 

Met up with the great crew on Tuesday to unload the flat top truck, trailer and the semi trailer containing 4 cars to set everything up which went smoothly, then it was just basically chilling out until the first day of the 500 on Thursday. 

The most we did all week was handing out thousands of very cool art deco style posters of Ron's cars and talking to the public about them (I did a crash course of learning what was what and how things were done to all the cars), and cleaning the cars and displays to keep them looking tip top. If you haven't seen Ron's cars in person, you have no idea of the level of quality they are until you have, especially when they are 'just' race cars. The paint on all of them is flawless, and probably rivals whatever you have in your own garage...they're that good! 

Saw a bit of racing from inside turn 8 now n then, caught a big crash into the wall on video, yet mostly just walked around now n then dodging the thousands upon thousands of people from Friday onwards. It was absolutely chockas! My pass gave me access all areas, so that was great getting into the main pits, yet to me the best experience I thought was going to be seeing and hearing the 906 in person, yet that turned into my 2nd favourite, as it was Ron and his team of great people who made the whole week for me.

You won't find a more dedicated bunch of people that are not only hard working, but bloody funny at the same time whilst taking the piss out of each other. Most of them have been travelling with Ron here and to the USA competing or charity events for years, yet a couple of them do it in their spare time from their high profile (unmentionable) normal jobs, and I was told quite a few stories that had us laughing every day. 

Also got to hear one of my old favourite bands, Icehouse, do a soundcheck prior to their gig (Iva Davies vocals sounded incredible after nearly 40 years) and a few other Aussie bands. Then it was an equal first favourite which was the F35 fighter jet fly overs. I love jets more than anything, and I always wish I'd gone to an event when they're flying over, yet Saturday and Sunday we were treated to some crazy handling displays and low fly overs that vitamised my earballs! Fanbloodytastic to watch and hear.

If you've ever done any sort of racing, you know how long the days can be with setting up, doing your thing etc, and there's never enough time in the day, and this was no different except we weren't racing, so we all got a bit bored now n then, but overall the whole experience was one that I thoroughly enjoyed and would do again with that crew in a heartbeat.

Overall, the Adelaide 500 has to be up there with the best event in Australia, and a lot of people from Sydney and especially Victoria that I spoke to (which was a LOT) said it far surpasses the F1 circus in Melbourne, so suck on that you Mexicans! 😅😉

A massive thanks to Ron and his whole team for the opportunity 👍

Just a few of the thousands of photos I took

20231121_183036.jpg

20231122_111006.jpg

20231124_095001.jpg

20231124_122801.jpg

20231126_144803.jpg

20231121_170402.jpg

My favourite display of the event, grabbed the four prints as well ( i might frame them they’re that good)

Had a look several times, pity I missed you Lee.

Ron’s radial engined 356 won Kindig’s choice. Great achievement.

Was at the Icehouse sound check too!

Much better seeing them without the hoards of people in the evening.