WTB 911 SC or 911 3.2

rminc

10 hours ago, Dreamr said:

... the issue is the absolute lack of stock. Plenty of imports, converts, bitzers,  etc .. complete lack of Aussie stock .. (kinda why I listed mine when I did .. it's a sellers market) ...

There seems to be plenty of stock but the sellers are all asking crazy prices.  Hence that sit for months and maybe years.

But I do think you are right, it is a seller's market if the asking price is realistic as you have clearly demonstrated in recent days.

The above quote with $55K was from the original post back in 2015.

I learnt the hard way by loosing my wife to cancer coming up to 4 years ago that our time on this rock is limited and no guarantee when it will end! If you really want to own and enjoy an AC Porsche, you have to make it happen!

2 hours ago, Tips said:

Totally agree Ronnie, which has me thinking of listing mine now that it’s absolutely sorted

The same thought passed through my tiny brain too when I saw Ronny's sale.  Then I realised "What would I replace it with?" (That nicely usable Autohaus 996GT3, but more likely an old Jaguar XJR and  a bevel Ducati'!) and "What car gives the same sensation of speed without going crazy fast?" (Umm, nothing.)

Stephen, what would consider replacing yours with?

1 hour ago, hugh said:

Nobody has a crystal ball. Might as well buy sooner and enjoy for longer. Markets go up and down, I highly doubt members on here have all of their money in cars. Small losses here will be offset by a gain elsewhere, net result is your still doing ok. 

Let’s say you pay an extra 5-10% today on a 100k purchase that you intend to use and enjoy over the next 5-10 years. If it’s the “right” car it’s no big deal. 

Money comes and goes, good opportunities are somewhat less frequent. If you look at everything purely on an economic or “investment” driven basis your missing the point.

Just buy the damn thing, enjoy it, use it and make some good memories in it. Priceless. 

100% which is why I'm looking again. It just turns out that it worked out well not buying one a few years ago. 

37 minutes ago, hugh said:

I’d highly doubt it. Whilst the market may have flattened it’s not gone that far backwards. I’d expect the baseline for a “good” 3.2 to be circa 80k. Anything below that would be a big win. 

That's the issue I had last time. So many of them are listed and sit advertised online for North of $100k, because that's what they're advertised for online. Last time I was looking, around 6 months after I stopped and purchased the NSX, I had 2 sellers message me saying they'd consider my offer at under 100k and to come see the car, which was initially 30k under what they'd advertised for. So if you ask some what a good SC or 3.2 is worth they'll tell you $110k-$120k and then you ask some others and they'll tell you $80-$90k. It pays to watch the market yourself and see what cars actually sell for I've learnt.

I missed a nice 87 coupe at the end of last year, because I couldn't organise a PPI quick enough in SA which would have owed $85k. Spewing! Wasn't wiling to buy sight unseen though. 

Some other water-cooled P-cars had dropped in price too, which become tempting when you're looking at spending over $100k.

10 hours ago, Dreamr said:

I offered mine to the OP but it wasn't what he was looking for .. no issue there .. I'm kinda glad it wasn't for him as I ended up getting more than I offered it to him for .. 😅

I don't think the $$$ is the issue at the moment ... the issue is the absolute lack of stock. Plenty of imports, converts, bitzers,  etc .. complete lack of Aussie stock .. (kinda why I listed mine when I did .. it's a sellers market) ...

To be honest, I don't mind paying a bit more if I really like a colour, or trim combo. 

Yours ticked all the boxes. I just wasn't a fan of guards red or the bamboo beige. 

It's the only non sunroof coupe that I've seen in a while though, which kind of tempted me, but it just wasn't enough. That's just me though. 

You priced your car right from the start. You could have put it up for $100k or $110k and have dealt with tyre kickers for 6 months, but as you said, you've been vigilant with the market and priced it right, at the right time and it worked out well for you! 

3 hours ago, Tips said:

Totally agree Ronnie, which has me thinking of listing mine now that it’s absolutely sorted

When I offered mine privately to a couple of guys on here, I wasn’t completely aware of the market ... i.e. lack of stock.

It was when I had a really good look and analysed exactly what was being offered, that I realised that there really wasn’t anything on offer .. sure there are the highly priced ones, but I made a decision to sell, not hang on. It was then that I saw it was worth more.

Could I have gotten a bit more than I sold it for? .... probably, but It might have taken longer, there would have been more scrutiny and the longer it sat, the more stale it would have become.

As  I’ve always said .. a good deal is when both the buyer and the seller walk away happy ... and I’m happy!

58 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Could I have gotten a bit more than I sold it for? .... probably, but It might have taken longer, there would have been more scrutiny and the longer it sat, the more stale it would have become.

Ronny,

I think you executed the sale perfectly, right car, right price, no mess, no fuss.  The way we all aspire to.

Actually I still have the spare wheel rubber block I made for you - complete with smartarse label ! If the new owner wants it, drop me a PM!

FNcPScU.jpg

The red bros hanging out and looks like you (hand on hip) and me (arms folded and thinking "What bullshit is he telling me now!)  in the background!

17 minutes ago, Peter M said:

FNcPScU.jpg

The red bros hanging out and looks like you (hand on hip) and me (arms folded and thinking "What bullshit is he telling me now!)  in the background!

Pete,

I recognise the car and the dude with the folded arms ... that is you being closed off to the world. But ... that’s not me .. so it seems like you are that way with everybody!! .. 🤣

Having recently bought back into a P-car I also vacillated over the current virus/economic times and whether hanging off might be a better financial idea.  But I agree with Hugh and Dalai and others that ultimately the best time to enjoy a toy is always now :) (well, in 6 weeks if you're in Melbourne). 

From a personal perspective, I think the "PPI" is becoming a peculiar complication and a potential impediment to a sharp sale.  I'm not saying I wouldn't bother with a PPI, but the way they have gone now they're more of a tool buyers use to try and drive a price down rather than be an objective review of what you're buying.   Obviously this position might change depending on what is being bought - fair enough for "rare exotica" where condition and providence is key to value.  But for more vanilla Porsches where groups like this have well documented the potential problems to factor (IMS in early boxsters/996s, belts and water pumps in 944/928, pulled studs in mag-cased 911s, 1st & 2nd synchros in 915 boxes etc...) it's easy enough to gauge an available car and its known history against the potential pitfalls, and determine a price you're comfortable with that gives you a buffer should an issue arise.

27 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

Having recently bought back into a P-car I also vacillated over the current virus/economic times and whether hanging off might be a better financial idea.  But I agree with Hugh and Dalai and others that ultimately the best time to enjoy a toy is always now :) (well, in 6 weeks if you're in Melbourne). 

From a personal perspective, I think the "PPI" is becoming a peculiar complication and a potential impediment to a sharp sale.  I'm not saying I wouldn't bother with a PPI, but the way they have gone now they're more of a tool buyers use to try and drive a price down rather than be an objective review of what you're buying.   Obviously this position might change depending on what is being bought - fair enough for "rare exotica" where condition and providence is key to value.  But for more vanilla Porsches where groups like this have well documented the potential problems to factor (IMS in early boxsters/996s, belts and water pumps in 944/928, pulled studs in mag-cased 911s, 1st & 2nd synchros in 915 boxes etc...) it's easy enough to gauge an available car and its known history against the potential pitfalls, and determine a price you're comfortable with that gives you a buffer should an issue arise.

Agree 100%. I haven’t PPI’d the last few cars I have bought. Turn up, test drive, go with your gut, factor some risk into your pricing and have a go. 

Also, dealing with a known (or even ‘internet’)  issue after purchase - like say head studs on an SC or valve guides on a 3.2 - should translate into a value add should you decide to sell on and you have clear documentation of the works. 

2 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Also, dealing with a known (or even ‘internet’)  issue after purchase - like say head studs on an SC or valve guides on a 3.2 - should translate into a value add should you decide to sell on and you have clear documentation of the works. 

Don't forget to give me a buzz if you need the studs changing ;)

2 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Agree 100%. I haven’t PPI’d the last few cars I have bought. Turn up, test drive, go with your gut, factor some risk into your pricing and have a go. 

Agree on the PPI....

I inspected a 997 on Monday, liked the car, felt a good vibe on the owner, shook hands and picked up on Friday after her did a RWC. 

It needed TLC on paint, wheels and interior bits however he did everything that needed to be done mechanically (IMS, clutch, etc) which sealed the deal for me. 

5 hours ago, Dreamr said:

When I offered mine privately to a couple of guys on here, I wasn’t completely aware of the market ... i.e. lack of stock.

It was when I had a really good look and analysed exactly what was being offered, that I realised that there really wasn’t anything on offer .. sure there are the highly priced ones, but I made a decision to sell, not hang on. It was then that I saw it was worth more.

As  I’ve always said .. a good deal is when both the buyer and the seller walk away happy ... and I’m happy!

I passed on the details to my neighbour, can’t do any more than that.  Shame really...but you can lead a horse to water etc

8 hours ago, Peter M said:

Stephen, what would consider replacing yours with?

Pete car is at a point where I can hold it and enjoy for many years. Perfect stance, engine and colour combo. I have come to realise though that I need to enjoy a few cars and unfortunately my wallet and space dictates one at a time. Thought is to trade up into another AC P car that I can tinker with for a year or two and do it again. That’s the plan, I have seen the next car but we are still apart in price. Thought is to sell and let the cash be king so I can jump on the next opportunity quickly.

6 hours ago, OBRUT said:

I haven’t PPI’d the last few cars I have bought. Turn up, test drive, go with your gut, factor some risk into your pricing and have a go. 

Agree Ryan, exactly how I bought my car. Turned up the day it was advertised, drove it, checked the history, made some calls and had a sizeable cash deposit to pay in the spot.

Then I took it to Autohaus (they knew the car) asked them to list what was required to make it perfect then slowly I have worked through the list while I drive and enjoyed it.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bought an NSX and an R34 GTR instead. I'd I have been worse off buying a 911 beleive it or not. Back then they were selling for about $60k. Same spec today would be $100k really.

They've been pretty flat over the last 2-3 years. If I were buying a car now to make money, I definitely wouldn't be buying an SC or a 3.2. That's just my opinion though. Can't put a price on smiles per miles. 

On 31/10/2020 at 20:18, rminc said:

Specifically after 84-85 3.2 Carrera, but will also look at 87-89 along with SC's. 

Australian delivered coupes only. 

Cash ready. 

Good luck finding an Aussie delivered 84-85 coupe for $100K! Very little on the market, at least in those listed online... 

20 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Good luck finding an Aussie delivered 84-85 coupe for $100K! Very little on the market, at least in those listed online... 

Found several SC's and a few 85 models for around $100k. I think that price is pretty spot on for a car that's in good nic, but hasn't had any rebuilds. I.e engine, gearbox, brakes and suspension. I'd pay upto $130k for one, but after that I just see much more value in other P cars.

Just holding out for exactly what I'm after (year, colour combo etc). I'm not in a rush and I still have to offload an RX7 Series 8 Spirit R if anyone's interested.

If you're going by the prices advertised online you're right though, I don't have any chance at $100k. I should be looking at $180k lol. 

• 4 weeks later...