WTB 911 SC or 911 3.2

rminc

3 minutes ago, rminc said:

To be honest, now that I've driven an SC and both the early and late model 3.2's. I'd say the early model 3.2s are definately my favourite model to drive. You can definately notice the power difference between the later model and the earlier ones. This also might because of the facts that the earlier model I drove didn't have a whale tale and the later model did. Then there's the fact that the G50 weighs more too. I did like the G50 gear box, but I don't think it's enough to compensate. The 915 box is not as good, but I'd say the difference is very small for me. The SC and early model 3.2's felt similar for me. If the colour was good on the early model 3.2. I'd have owned it by now which is unfortunate. That being said if I got the colour combo I wanted in either model I'd still buy any of them. 

I'm heading out today to drive a 964 C4 so I'll update on that once I do. 

You need to test them all in the bends, don't judge based on power as this is somewhat miss-leading when trying to assess any 911's true potential. Doesn't matter how many times people try to dismiss the 915, they are great boxes providing you have them set up/adjusted correctly and know how to drive a manual properly. 

964 is chalk and cheese to a G series. 

4 hours ago, D2000 said:

Not an SC or a 3.2, but someone go and buy this one please! (No association, although the owner is a forum member, just don't want to be tempted myself!)

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1977/SSE-AD-4807050/?Cr=3

I keep looking at this, why is it so damned cheap?  The sportmatic  I assume?

I contemplated the idea of offering $1000 for a test drive on a smt on a select few members cars- took me two smts to work out my sc wasn’t for me- I wanted more, less effort and more performance all round. Obviously you can’t try on each model like a pair of shoes but hey even shoes can give you blisters! 

The sc is nostalgic and I came from that sort of thing. The smell the sound the feel. But yeah I don’t like tyre kicking as have been on the other side of that- so can be hard being a buyer- really 6months or so of ownership you can really know what you like and want from a car. My chime in ?

11 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Can’t say enough good things about the Elephant Racing suspension I fitted to this car. It has their full “level 2” (matched shocks and t bars) setup and is sublime - even on crusty Aussie roads.  

Very tidy - interesting comment about the Elephant Racing suspension.  I'd have thought it too hard for our crappy roads but good to hear not so.  At some point I'll need to replace the suspension in our 78sc so that can go on the research list.

1 hour ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

Very tidy - interesting comment about the Elephant Racing suspension.  I'd have thought it too hard for our crappy roads but good to hear not so.  At some point I'll need to replace the suspension in our 78sc so that can go on the research list.

Chuck at Elephant makes 5 levels - I have level 2 in the targa and level 5 in the group s car.  I think the key is the shock valving being matched to the torsion bars.

60 series tyres help a bit too in the comfort department. 

Hey everyone, I'm considering two cars at the moment. If you are considering selling or know anyone interested in selling, let me know. 

I'll go upto $130k for the right car. Ideally either I'd like an early model 3.2 or an SC, but also interested in 964's and later model 3.2s aswell. 

Must be Australian delivered. 

17 minutes ago, rminc said:

Seems like an honest car. Price is negotiable too. I've decided to hold off on this one though. 

I'm a little taken back .... that seems like a great car, well looked after, serviced, one Porsche enthusiast owner and really well priced ....

What am I missing that you are holding back on?? .. :wacko:

48 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

I'm a little taken back .... that seems like a great car, well looked after, serviced, one Porsche enthusiast owner and really well priced ....

Potential unicorn (Australian delivered, reasonable km's, and especially price) hows up and you aren't keen?

On 15/02/2018 at 12:14 PM, rminc said:

Hey everyone, I'm considering two cars at the moment. If you are considering selling or know anyone interested in selling, let me know. 

I'll go upto $130k for the right car. Ideally either I'd like an early model 3.2 or an SC, but also interested in 964's and later model 3.2s aswell. 

Must be Australian delivered. 

What happened to the above 2 you were considering?

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

I'm currently looking at a 964, seller is a bit unrealistic with the price, so I don't think it will sell anytime soon. I'm not the most fond of the red either. Just going to sit tight for now and watch the market for a bit, if something I really like comes up I will go for it, but at the moment I'm no longer in a rush. The market appears to have slowed too, so I think I have some time on my side.

10 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

What happened to the above 2 you were considering?

One I'm still looking at, but as mentioned above the price will need to be adjusted. The other one I was looking at doesn't present aswell as I would have hoped for the price they're asking, so just left it.

On 12 February 2018 at 8:20 PM, cafe_racer said:

Careful what you say, you'll get modded :D

It's an honest car that someone needs to continue the TLC it has been getting.  Rare and attractive color.

2 hours ago, D2000 said:

Looks the goods.  Same owner for 31 years.  No connection.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1985/SSE-AD-5277423/?Cr=0

I would really like that car.  85 3.2 in GR = perfect to me.

3 hours ago, Coastr said:

It's an honest car that someone needs to continue the TLC it has been getting.  Rare and attractive color.

Russ' car is pretty cool.. 

So is the red 3.2.!

On 2/13/2018 at 2:20 PM, cafe_racer said:

sportomatic, targa, 2.7 basically the redheaded stepchild of 911's. It is aus delivered tho

I've had lots of tyrekickers and low balls, not many people actually coming and having a look at it

4 hours ago, Coastr said:

Red isn't for everyone though... 

It does look good in the pictures. Hopefully it sells quick so I feel better. 

8 hours ago, D2000 said:

Looks the goods.  Same owner for 31 years.  No connection.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1985/SSE-AD-5277423/?Cr=0

I doubt that car will be up for long unless there are some hidden surprises.

No interior or engine pics? Worth a good look as it presents well and a good price for Oz RHD.

14 hours ago, Stepo said:

I doubt that car will be up for long unless there are some hidden surprises.

No interior or engine pics? Worth a good look as it presents well and a good price for Oz RHD.

I think alot of people prefer guards red too. 

Sounds like an honest car from the conversation I had with him. 

Time will tell

19 hours ago, Russ said:

sportomatic, targa, 2.7 basically the redheaded stepchild of 911's. It is aus delivered tho

I've had lots of tyrekickers and low balls, not many people actually coming and having a look at it

You are destined to keep it.  Book in that bare metal respray, re trim and walk away with the plastic ware at the next concours. Sell the cayenne to fund.   

Im being helpful !

Thought I just posted but must not have...as it's not here.   Ok @rminc   if you're really after a good car this red '85 is perfect as a looking point.  Book a flight, seriously.  You won't get an ad that ticks more boxes than that one.  Maybe after looking it will turn out to be a dud...but I'd be willing to bet 89k on it!  If that car doesn't light you up, nothing will.  I don't know the owner but I do wish I was currently looking for a g series.  And it's '85...last of the higher hp before unleaded.  One owner....seriously...I'll be thinking about this car when I wake up in the morning...just had a new Bub so it would be 'sleeping outside for a while' material but I'll still be thinking about it....