WTB 911 SC or 911 3.2

rminc

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rminc said:

Hey guys, how do the 964's compare to the 3.2's? I've seen one that needs a bit of work, but if I can have it looking tip top at $130k as opposed to almost $100k for a 3.2, is the 30k premium justifiable?

absolutely.

I drove a few, ended up with 964 C2.

Power steering, slightly more modern suspension, aircon that works...for me, it was no contest.

18 hours ago, rminc said:

Hey guys, how do the 964's compare to the 3.2's? I've seen one that needs a bit of work, but if I can have it looking tip top at $130k as opposed to almost $100k for a 3.2, is the 30k premium justifiable?

The 964 is miles ahead of the 3.2 as an all rounder.

I find it very interesting that people seem to prefer SC's over the 3.2 these days. When I first started looking, you would be paying a 20-30k premium for an equivalent 3.2. Now they're on par. 

I don't understand how these fazes work. It looks like the new thing to buy now is an SC Targa top. 

21 minutes ago, rminc said:

I find it very interesting that the noisy web posting people seeking value for money seem to prefer SC's over the 3.2 these days......

Fixed.

As I said before, buy the car YOU like the best.  Don't worry about what the rest of us like.  And certainly don't try to get any sensible response on what is the BEST car as that is so dependent on some many personal factors that only you can answer. 

For many of us, we grew up wanting a G series and that's what we like BEST, knowing full well that a Cayman, for example at half the price is a better performing car.

So for chrissakes go drive some cars and stop posting until you do! They're all good. :D

I got an email saying there was a post, but I couldn't find it. Dunno what happened...

rminc said:

I'm going to drive a C4 hopefully this afternoon at a dealer to get a feel. Still unsure with which way to go to be honest. 

Most of the 3.2s I've seen are priced at just under $100k with around 200,000kms. The top end rebuild really puts me off paying that money for the cars because if it's required not long after I purchase, they'll owe me around $115k, possibly even $120k. I've seen some really nice examples sell over the last couple of months with around 130,000-160,000kms for around the $120k-$130k mark, so I'm not sure if i should just spend a bit more and get something which I wont need to worry about rebuilding for another 70,000kms.

Then there is the 964. If one can be had with similar kms in good condition for $130k, I might aswell go for that instead of the 3.2... I think I'm starting to confuse myself.

From what I've read and seen over the time I've been looking, the market seems to have slowed down a bit as well which is another thing that concerns me. Not that I will be looking to sell the car, but I'd hate to know that I purchased at the top of the market.

I think I might just watch the market and see if anything good presents itself. 

Also, if anyone is looking at purchasing a 3.2 send me a message. I've been in touch with a really nice guy selling one (Aus delivered 84 model) with around 180kms. I've gotten him down to $95k, but I'm not sure I like the colour enough and with the top end rebuild risk, I've decided to give it as miss. Don't want to rush into it when I'm not certain. It's a nice enough car though. It has had a full respray at some point, but it looks tidy enough and all books are up to date. Happy to put you in contact with them.

Thanks for all your help guys.

24 minutes ago, rminc said:

I find it very interesting that people seem to prefer SC's over the 3.2 these days. When I first started looking, you would be paying a 20-30k premium for an equivalent 3.2. Now they're on par. 

I don't understand how these fazes work. It looks like the new thing to buy now is an SC Targa top. 

Personally I would have a 3.0 over a 3.2 and wait for it............probably a 2.7 over a 3.0 - just depends on what you want. The targa appeal is due to them being quite cool and typically cheaper than a coupe. 

I've always loved targa's, I just haven't landed one yet. 

You will find your taste changing the more time you spend in and around these cars. Its unfortunately not something you can really research online and/or via articles/car sales. 

2 minutes ago, hugh said:

Personally I would have a 3.0 over a 3.2 and wait for it............probably a 2.7 over a 3.0 - just depends on what you want. The targa appeal is due to them being quite cool and typically cheaper than a coupe. 

You will find your taste changing the more time you spend in and around these cars. Its unfortunately not something you can really research online and/or via articles/car sales. 

I LOVE targas... not as blustery as a convertible (or as "wanky") and so much more open and free than a sunroof. However, I bought a hardtop because 1- it was available and 2-every one on this forum said targas were like pus.

I want a targa.

1 hour ago, Mike D'Silva said:

I LOVE targas... not as blustery as a convertible (or as "wanky") and so much more open and free than a sunroof. However, I bought a hardtop because 1- it was available and 2-every one on this forum said targas were like pus.

I want a targa.

Do it. I love my targa hot rod. One of the most fun 911’s I’ve ever had out of circa 20 of the things. 

So many people poo-poo’d the idea of a fast road setup targa, now many of the same folk are looking for one or have purchased one. I also know several guys with excellent collections that daily drive big bumper targas. 

I've never found a Targa lacking in any way for road driving....prefer it to a coupe, way more involved & much greater sound.  Imo there is greater difference between cars (good 911, bad 911) than there is between coupe & targa.  Given (for me) 911 driving is pretty much a dry weather affair, I'd rather have a roof I can take off.  I think the design is also something special - put me at odds to most over the years, seems to be swinging around a bit lately.

I'd also take a 3.0 over a 3.2.....& a recent 2.7 on carbs puts my 3.0 Carrera in the shade for fun, so I'd probably lean towards a 2.7 now as well....

@OBRUT- got a pic of your targa (not yellow I hope)? 

Hey will you guys STOP talking up targa’s...  I need these to stay as the ugly step child Air Cooled whilst the AU delivered are still reasonably priced until I can get into one ?... otherwise I’ll be back to considering rusty crusty imported conversions ?

10 hours ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

I've never found a Targa lacking in any way for road driving....prefer it to a coupe, way more involved & much greater sound.  Imo there is greater difference between cars (good 911, bad 911) than there is between coupe & targa.  Given (for me) 911 driving is pretty much a dry weather affair, I'd rather have a roof I can take off.  I think the design is also something special - put me at odds to most over the years, seems to be swinging around a bit lately.

I'd also take a 3.0 over a 3.2.....& a recent 2.7 on carbs puts my 3.0 Carrera in the shade for fun, so I'd probably lean towards a 2.7 now as well....

@OBRUT- got a pic of your targa (not yellow I hope)? 

Can’t say enough good things about the Elephant Racing suspension I fitted to this car. It has their full “level 2” (matched shocks and t bars) setup and is sublime - even on crusty Aussie roads.  

4 hours ago, Tips said:

Hey will you guys STOP talking up targa’s...  I need these to stay as the ugly step child Air Cooled whilst the AU delivered are still reasonably priced until I can get into one ?... otherwise I’ll be back to considering rusty crusty imported conversions ?

What he said.

STOP IT YOU LOT. :Speechless:

16 hours ago, hugh said:

To be honest, now that I've driven an SC and both the early and late model 3.2's. I'd say the early model 3.2s are definately my favourite model to drive. You can definately notice the power difference between the later model and the earlier ones. This also might because of the facts that the earlier model I drove didn't have a whale tale and the later model did. Then there's the fact that the G50 weighs more too. I did like the G50 gear box, but I don't think it's enough to compensate. The 915 box is not as good, but I'd say the difference is very small for me. The SC and early model 3.2's felt similar for me. If the colour was good on the early model 3.2. I'd have owned it by now which is unfortunate. That being said if I got the colour combo I wanted in either model I'd still buy any of them. 

I'm heading out today to drive a 964 C4 so I'll update on that once I do.