964 RSR Replica Track Car/Weekend Blaster

• 5 months later...

So what has been going on.....well quite a bit actually. :) Car was going well at the track but there is always room for improvement. Had heard reports that a shorter final drive really wakes these things up. So pulled the box out and sent it to Neat Gearboxes in SA for a full rebuild. Spent a bit of time punching final drive ratios into a calculator and decided on an Albins ring and pinion going from the factory 3.8 to 4.3 gears. And its true what they say. It definitely seems to accelerate harder and you have a nicer spread of gears on track. Also while it was in bits I added the bearing support plate, billet side cover and a WEVO gateshift kit. Also had all the gears micro polished which I hope will enhance reliability and longevity.  It is now a very sweet shifting box. Has come along way from the custard stirring experience when I first got it. 

Gearbag%203.jpg

Gearbag%201.jpg

Gearbag%202.jpg

gearbag%205.jpg

Gearbag%204.jpg

While the engine was out I thought i would see what we could do to squeeze some more out of it. Trying to optimise everything short of pulling it apart and rebuilding it. On the intake side, I took off the factory plenum that I had gone to so much trouble to fit and fitted the trumpets and filters to the ITB's. On the exhaust side, I went for a fully split exhaust system off each bank as opposed to the fabspeed muffler that had a shared main muffler fed into from both banks. There is some debate around what works in this area but figured it was worth a crack. Got some custom Ti mufflers made up so shed 10kg off the rear while I was at it. 

The new intake....

image_40.jpeg

image_41.jpeg

The new exhaust

image_45.jpeg

image_43.jpeg

image_44.jpeg

Had found at the track the steering was a little slower than I would like. Took a little bit too much steering input to catch slides etc. Quick bit of googling and hey presto there is a quaife quick rack and pinion for the standard rack. Was actually pretty straight forward to fit.  Only slight glitch was having to get the rack milled out a touch to allow the pinion to be installed as its slightly larger diameter than stock. Other than that its a pretty straight forward solution to quicken the rack. Threw some new bearings in while I was down there. Its now 2.5 turns lock to lock. After having done a couple of track days with it, its a excellent mod. Even more direct steering control and feel and much quicker input to control the car on the ragged edge.  

IMG_0841.jpg

Edited by Teutonic

With one eye on getting it towards being a tarmac rally car, and even for club track days, I am a fan of seats with side head restrain and combine them with a HANS. Tested my arse in some Velo apex and really liked them. The wings are also quite compact so good for the limited space in the 911. Had previously used Sparco but the wings are quite large and can cause packaging issues. Got them with red decals and porsche logos while I was at it. 

image_47.jpeg

And the last piece of the puzzle of the engine power was to try some E85 in it. To kick it off we just tipped some in and ran it up on the dyno (with tuning to suit of course) and netted a bit more power and a nice jump in midrange. So encouraged by that I fitted a flex fuel sensor and had the MoTeC setup accordingly so it can now run either 98 or E85 or any combination of the two. Have found it runs noticeable cooler at the track with the E85 which cant be a bad thing and thaat fuel is essentially detonation proof. Then when not at the track, can still have the convenience of pulling into any service station and pumping 98 into it. 

And the final frontier in the search of lap times was to look at some aero improvements. After beign inspired by piloting a friends time attack car around Phillip Island with highly developed aero, I figured there was some room for improvement here. So on the front I sourced a GT2 style lip for the front. Was a very easy bolt on solution. ALso spotted to carbon bolt on canard/.dive planes in japan that replace the side reflectors. Both are a very easy bolt on bolt off option for non track duties. 

image_48.jpeg

image_50.jpeg

And the final piece of the puzzle was rear aero. True to my motto of "if its worth doing its worth over doing" I had the guys at Topstage Composites make a custom rear wing based on their V3 design. Essentially its the same blank, but I had it at 1600mm wide rather than their usual 1800 and alsso had the mounts set at a specified spacing to match the RSR wing base. The it was just some custom water cut ali uprights. It is undoubtedly over the top, but boy does it work. And again its  10 minute bolt on bolt off proposition. 

image_51.jpeg

image_52.jpeg

image_53.jpeg

Useful ergonomic work desk when attending a trackday on a work day :)

image_54.jpeg

And the results of all this work....Over 2 seconds a lap (66 to 64 flat...definitely has a 63 in it) gained at Barbagallo, and an amazing feeling of grip and being on rails through the high speed corners. Overall its a significantly better package than it was and a far more exciting and engaging car to drive on the track. 

And making light work of a Cayman GT4 :)

Edited by Teutonic

Cheers Gents. Am very happy with the way it's come along. Was already very impressed with it straight out of the box, but the extra mods have really sharpened it up and enhanced the driving experience. 

One more track day with the Porsche club here (combined with HSV club) so should be fun having a mix of cars, and the sending it to Vic for the PIARC double header in early November and then Challenge Bathurst at the end of November. Can't wait to pedal it around those two tracks. 

• 10 months later...

Wow, 

hadn't realised how much time had passed since I updated. Where do I start. Got the car across to Vic. Had a great couple of days down at PI. Managed to get the car down to a 1.44 which I was really happy with. Such an epic track. Despite the cars lack of power, it seemed to carry good corner speed which helped the lap times. From there it was off to Challenge Bathurst. A fantastic event. It was my first time to Bathurst to see the track let alone drive it. And it most certainly lived up to the hype. The first trip over the top which pretty overwhelming seeming to be concrete everywhere. But after a few laps you saw less of that and more of the racing line. Finished up the weekend with a 1.30. Was chasing a 1.29 but an over rev broke a rocker and put an end to my last 2 session. Some vid below. Was giving a 991 GT3 a decent run over the top but he had my measure down the straight. 

From there the car came back to Perth for a little bit of love as it had a tough road trip. Thankfully the broken rocker was nothing more sinister. Time to get back to the track. Was thinking of getting back to some tarmac rally so gave it a run at the local rally sprint. Was a heap of fun on the tight course and built speed during the night. 

From that point things have escalated. While the car was caged to CAMS specs, all the documentation was filled in by previous owner but never submitted. Unfortunately the regs had moved on and to meet current regs it was going to need another roof cross and a Carlos (A Pillar) bar. Thankfully I know a pretty exceptional welder here who was able to get the other rook cross bar in with the hood lining in place using a dentists mirror to see over the top of the bar to weld around it. It then needed some touching up of the paint. I decided to keep the rear half red, but paint the front half satin black to make it sink into the back ground and look half caged ala GT3 clubsport. Am happy with the way it came up. 

y4mIrRljxQ0SMjujP0VDXSlGyzYEaBoQMhRAgqyI

y4mKaQSL-R9oOrwWHUhZCTjNrxgsnT_MUHHzk4qd

Continuing on with my obsession with carbon and shedding weight from the car, I finally received my carbon dash. Its based on a 993 dash which I discovered has a slightly narrower binnacle to the dash in my car. I had already made a decision to delete the clock and replace it with a BTI Guage that would display MoTeC data, Thankfully this is slightly smaller in diameter, so solved the fitment problem. So got a bit crafty and made up a template off the old dash, cut the holes close to size and then eased them out with a dremel (the best tool for a shit tradesman) and test fitted until they were a snug fit.  So it has solved the problem of the shabby cracked dash in the car and the redundant heater controls (heated screen, and shed some weight. 

y4mWXfT3A88Gweea38CMK8aDWsHihhqgnmlKbmrk

y4mopzxToE697R1Ww59GBfb60V7skJcXKwiTI38z

y4mCG6rHNcVeHfFko61D8OKSz6LCNsnMZC6En1fj

From there is was into the car. As it is top only, I had to sort something out to trim off the face. I came up with an aluminium substrate for support and a carbon skin over the top for bling. I think it should look quite tidy once the soon to be alcantara covered knee pads (with red stitch) are returned. Also fitted some billet buttons for battery isolation, hazards anf heated screen. I went 19mm but when they arrived I felt they were a bit small and now they are in I am even more convinced. I spaced them with this possibility in mind so will look to change up to 22mm. Also added a double USB socket and will alo look to mount MoTeC comms socket as well. 

y4mhS2e1ugO1GtE9P5vtrc6FemaP40dNU7FDRCUD

y4m6JVTJqYd0HKUy5FT9TuxsaEUF1SepKvjHI5-l

Edited by Teutonic

And then the point of highest escalation....the engine.... So I managed to break another rocker. I decided I had a fundamental problem of mismatched components. While the ITB's love to make it sing, the factory valve train does't enjoy it so much.....And I always had the idea in the back of my mind that keeping it heading in the direction of a 3.8RSR was a good thing. So I decided it was time for the 3.8. The engine was pulled down. Most of it was good news. Cases, crank all the main things we were going to use were in good shape. The only problem was the heads, The factory ceramic liners in the exhaust ports were cracked in a couple of them. No way to repair them. Finding second hand heads is a challenge and then you are faced with the risk of the same thing happening. New porsche heads are drug money, so that leaves after market. So after some research I saw 3 main options. CMW billet...never read anything good about them. Xtreme cast...read lots of good things (as used in the singer builds) and ninemeister billet. Also hear good things. After weighing up my options I went with the Xtreme cast heads. I corresponded and spoke with Bill at length and he was really helpful in putting together something to suit the needs of the build. So heads have come completely built, ready to bolt on with a full flow sheet. Some impressive numbers. Flow sheet was sent off to Elgin cams who they work with a bit, and some custom cams were supplied to match the flow data, other build specs and the intended use. The heads are a thing of beauty. 

y4mLVLO5yFQ9B7CfJKMnBOfprRYKZKXGqA6otGYL

y4mw0WOexvkPnax18rNJHciWUOT5OC5A824PILCQ

y4meR6YCrxDkWSzbAmTrzBhoK8891dWbD0Tb_Wgz

y4m7-a-fIyZNkoEhP--q5Z3BGEmO20Iuy8FMdl40

So from there its most of the usual components. The hope is for a strong, reliable motor that will make good area under the curve. So I have gone Mahle machine fit cylinders, Pauter Rods, 993 RSR  pistons, standard 964 crank prepped, GT3 oil pump, lightweight flywheel. To make it look the part I found a carbon top shroud and also added the rennline billet rocker covers and have gone the single pulley conversion. Hopefully now most of the parts are here it should be together in about 3 weeks. 

y4mplRXy-Yzhd0SEFhcsn9B7IurJlEPZN5E9btRQ

y4m_sdFn03y1moWFcXkH6Fu3EeBZGTgvzGqEVHq_

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So things are getting very close to the getting this thing back on the road. Have been putting in time in the shed whenever I can but it has been a  bit hard to come by. My main focus has been getting the interior of the car in shape and electrically having it ready to go so when the engine is done I'm not holding things up at my end. I am finally pretty much there. Dash is all complete and in. All redundant wiring has been stripped out and the new switch gear wired up. . Have gone a cup car style isolating solenoid with a push switch on the dash and a pull cable that can be added to a toggle kill switch under the bonnet for actual rally/race use. My auto spark can take the credit for nutting that out. All the alcantara trim is done. I think old mate had sipped a few frothies by the time he did the knee pads. They didnt look too bad when I picked them up, but once lined up in the car they arent quite right. OCD says they will have to come off and get redone. The arm rests are decent. Was dreading roping in the front heated windscreen for some reason as I had never done it before. Turns out its as easy as it looks on the you tube videos although definitely a 2 man job for ease. (Thanks MFX :) )

Some pics below. Light is a bit shit in the shed as are the pics. Will get something proper when it is out in natural light. Also needs a thorough detail. 

y4mA2mvtFoadMOfKqcN1iLw3SbyiX498OoX7EpW8

y4mYvq4EnsK8eJeyf02x277ESH01gTWHBx1dU6sg

And the most exciting bit being the engine. Its ready to drop in the hole. Just waiting for the builder to get a car off the hoist and will drop the car back and in it goes. Can't.....effin.....wait!!!!!!! Really keen to see what it kicks out on the dyno. The high comp should make good use of the E85. 

y4mpbNDR7-AWQAsU90PvYg86lGf4sjhIzZup1MmH

y4mpWAw51limreFaFKcPgt8RswV38vgpsExbVqxp

Just curious to know why your alloy bolt on acceleration pedal is on upside down

Car looks fantastic, I had an ex T&D 993 RSR clone that is now over in WA.  I think It is referred to as the Blue Pill now

Re the alloy cover, I am a "toe/toe" braker rather than heel toe, :) so having the widest point at the top allowed me to creep it closer to the brake pedal so the ball of my foot can get on the brake easily and be able to blip the throttle with the outside of my foot. And cheers re the car. ;)