964 RSR Replica Track Car/Weekend Blaster

• 1 month later...

Well, 

happy new year all. :) Mine got off to a sub optimal start. Managed to roll my ankle and fracture a bone while doing it. 6 weeks without a right foot to drive a manual. (Seemed to manage an auto OK with the left foot) so perfect opportunity for more mods in the pursuit of more pace to offset diminishing talent. First order of works was to get rid of the V belt drive and add the Clewitt kit. Really nice bit of kit. Straight bolt on solution. That should spell the end of any thrown belts. 

y4m9fwLGVqHWuDJvvgzDNac3aLuYfLnoEnbyZb4O

Next order of works was to find some more speed. The car was decent over the bumps in Adelaide but there is always room for improvement. So pulled the legs out and sent them back to Murray Coote the master for some work as I bought them second hand and hadnt had them looked at.  Completed a set down of the car and sent over some corner weights and ride height strut lengths and had a chat about what I was chasing. He ran them up on the shock dyno and ended up smoothing out the bump valving. They were valved quite progressively starting off soft and ramping up towards full bump. They are more linear now. Have stayed with same spring rates. Hopefully it wont go slower. Also managed to fit the ER strut tops I had sitting around. 

y4m6QqxNSqb3XgKXZtNhDkx2jrSvEqyTIJEzEk5u

Also found the factory handbrake to be rubbish. There was the odd hairpin in Adelaide, that if I had a decent one, I might have given it a stab. So out with the old and in with a  hydraulic unit. Should do the trick. 

y4mjx9oqoweuXUrRHH4ig2mENICnHh28Pedq5DXA

And last but not least was to try to improve the overall handling. The front end is pretty sorted with the raised spindles correcting for the lowered ride height. At the rear though nothing had been done to sort this. The hollywood mod is 930/RS style relocated mounts and 930 turbo trailing arms. But the 930 arms are as rare as unicorn pooh and dear as poison. So the alternative was to stick with the ali arms (with monoball bearings) and do an adjustable pivot box to raise the pivot height and correct roll centres and improve squat and dive. So handed over to the fabricators and out came the grinder. They have done a top fabrication job. The moon boot came off today and the car should be back on the road later this week. First track day booked later in Feb. Hopefully its a better thing. 

y4mD1ST69-U27nGefSYN7Nku0Wmz-0JG7ZUpz3oD

y4mB9X5QBP9pqwBx6aK1Y2cBjWFC8VBuklBMFsGV

y4mshlor96X5lcju5f3ShOZKLiA4RR2D7LTg6eEV

y4mhYtBJFMYFtmvJAHdStWR_pvGu2evlcIgu6Vqz

And Clutch, re the RX7, we found time to get a quick shot we titled "Blaises Old Shit". Was a bit tough having my arse handed to me by one of my own creations. :)

y4m99wvN_q7757lRq_t5p_U-rIWKrExF8pyPILuU

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Clutch. Really wish I had the wallet to hang on to all my cars. Would be a pretty fun garage. 

So have had the first drive on the new improved suspension. Am running the car slightly higher (maybe 10mm) with a view to being a better Tarmac rally performer as opposed to circuit. The shocks feel great. Everything feels very compliant and balanced.  Most notably the anti squat change was immediately noticeable even on the street. Very noticeable reduction in squat under throttle and dive under brakes. Not sure if it will be faster but certainly feels it will be more user friendly to control. Off to the track this afternoon for a twilight round of the speed event series so will know soon enough. 

Big wing is on. Tank is topped off with fresh E85. Ready to hit the track. :)

y4mv7RoOFdLVJ37-O_htzehSt8VN9Dyapu4nHIi6

Hahahhahaha, 

Yep, its quite a bit of wing. :) Adding it alone knocked over a second a lap off. Is a low drag design so doesn't seem to hurt top speed. And it's a 10 minute job to take out the standard 3.8rs wing element and swap this in.  Bit over the top for street duties, but does the business at the track. 

Went to a twilight sprint on Sunday night. Really happy with the new suspension setup. Car felt nicer to drive. Was also carrying one gear taller through a fast sweeper so maybe carrying some more corner speed. Was .4 off its best but hard to tell if setup or track conditions. It was hot. Gut feel is it will be a better tarmac rally car which was what I was chasing. Got a decent sunset. Photogs got some tops pics. 

y4mb222bgqxGAmsiAXQk6XOMW8V6Nm6kbwFc1lCo

y4m-h_M1NUZTvG3MhKGbEuuakfZfnlQQaDb7SsNY

y4md5mqUq0iJkRgC6pwkVkchL5R_hP0kwdcQm4-7

And some incar...

• 3 months later...

Cheers for that. Definitely have some work to do at Barbagallo. Recently set the Porsche Club outright lap record at the Collie circuit here in WA dipping into the 47's. Showed a clean set of heels to a well driven 991 GT3RS. Genuinely surprises me how these old cars when well sorted can take it to the modern metal. I think the main area is the weight penalty the new stuff carries. I think the owner of the GT3RS put his on a weigh bridge and it was over 1500kg. That is a fair weight penalty to lug round. Carries it OK in the straights but it hurts corner speed.

And some incar from the recent Targa South West on a shirt hillclimb stage. Was great to get some more tarmac rally seat time and mix it with the modern AWD cars. 

I have watched your journey, great car and well driven. I also have a lot of fun chasing some of the more modern equipment. I have an ex cup car from mid 90’s with 3.8 - tips in just under 1000 kg’s. I must say the newer cars a a bit difficult to catch on the long straights.

Its all a lot of fun

• 1 month later...

Sounds good Darien,

looking forward to getting back there. It’s a much better thing over the bumps now. Was a bit kill deathy last year. And we have proper length stages this year. Should be a good event  

Hope yours is coming together well. 

• 2 months later...

So have pretty much got to the end of the most recent spruce up. The new wiring harness is in and the car is running. Took the opportunity to add more sensors (oil temp, oil pressure) and get it all talking to the MoTeC ECU and PDM and displaying on the digital gauge so I have something more accurate than the cars built in analogue gauges for key information. Seems the oil temp was reading high which means it wasn't running as hot as I had thought.  Also ditched the tacho and replaced with a Stack unit. The tacho was reading about 500rpm low despite being re calibrated. Added some new indicator lights as these were integrated into the old one and also now have a shift light. Will also gt my graphics guy to do an RSR logo or something similar and lose the stack logo. 

New shifter is in and on first drive is a really good thing. The best the car has shifted by some margin. Now just have to do some work on re positioning the drivers seat as both the steering wheel and shifter have come back towards me. Will be a much better place to be. Also painted the floor where I had stripped sound deadener and glued the carpet and trimmed it back to leave the main floor exposed. Is tidier than it was but could really do with being replaced. Just keen to get it back on the road. 

New skirts are on. Have just hit them with red wrap at this stage as I have a track day this weekend and wanted something better than primer but didn't have time to get the car to paint. Will sort that after the weekend. Looking forward to getting back behind the wheel. Has been off the road much longer than intended. Hopefully all goes well at the track, can get the paint sorted and just enjoy the car for a while. Looks like work might scuttle my plans for Rally Adelaide. Jury is out on that currently. If that falls through will put the bride seats back in and just enjoy on the road and the odd track day. 

y4mbjHGRSmIAowd2A6y3sIFlOHj4CSs2RARFx3_d

y4mFXK1myCpbdyBzKMQHGGTCr8tgutSmRjx5_PHk

y4m5fVLZvlSox-LpQ0yquCvCoFvQ6Oi-sItuMBKv

y4mHXJQtpDGi6MBPY34V1sTuHJavwbceNpD5tdiJ

That interior is all invitation.. love your commitment to burn fossil fuels … you didnt vote Greens hey..

Everytime  I say no more cars , no more hotrod or porsche race car thoughts  .. you totally fuch up that logical rational part of me , when you update this thread