• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

So notaproject now has waiting to happen a full cab heat and noise insulation kit, HX35 internaly gated turbo, WTA intercooler set up, exhaust system and a UHF. Its already had a winch plate and temp 10,000lb winch fitted to pull other people out. 

Notaproject.

• 6 months later...

So does this mean you can now reach double the top speed?? I remember driving these in the Army and with my right foot flat and my left on the hand throttle we could get about 88kph :D

LOL the crane truck will now hold 100kph pretty much all day. Has had a little injector pump tweak (ETG and boost gauge to help tune it,intercooler, New modern turbo, full exhaust and some 49" tyres have given it some better greaing over the stock 42". Real test was the stock truck took 10.5hrs to do a 572klm drive to a mates farm. Now the same truck with A/C comfort takes 7hrs.

Anyway I'll be moving the Crane truck on to start work on the Extra cab truck. Same mods will be done just with more a camping focus over a work truck focus.  

cooler1.jpg

cooler2.jpg

Cooler3.jpg

Cooler4.jpg

Cooler5.jpg

LOL! Well if you want people to remember your buisness it will work. If you want low key not so much.

One of my favorite things to do in the Mog is park it very neatly into a single carpark right next to guys in jacked up 79's or the like who think their "truck" is too big to fit into just one sinlge carpark. 

5 hours ago, Uncle said:

LOL! Well if you want people to remember your buisness it will work. If you want low key not so much.

One of my favorite things to do in the Mog is park it very neatly into a single carpark right next to guys in jacked up 79's or the like who think their "truck" is too big to fit into just one sinlge carpark. 

Oh your landcruiser is lifted? That’s cute… portal axles bitch! 😁

5 hours ago, edgy said:

I keep trying to make a case for how a Unimog could fit into our business as a delivery truck... Ignore any PM's from me! 😛 

There's one (or very similar) for sale in Windsor....45k

• 1 month later...

After months of putting off the job of removing the tamper proof bolts Merc put on the injector pump to keep people like me out of the injector pump I spent Saturday morning removing the tamper proof bolts on the injector pump. I’d had the two easy to get to off boost base enrichment off for ages with just a ½ turn tweak but there are 4 others at the back of the I.P that are tricky to get to to tamper with them. But, I found with the steering on full lock right and the correct skinny but long flat blade screwdriv, sorry chisel and a small hammer you can get in there and very slowly and gently get them turning with nice little gentle taps.

Once you get them a couple of turns around you can get in there with some pointy nose vice grips and get them the rest of the way out. This allows you to get to the main rack adjustment. The thing Merc didn’t want you to adjust and the thing I was here to adjust.

Now I would 1000% say you shouldn’t play with this stuff without knowing your Exhaust Gas Temp’s and having a reasonable understanding of the consequences of your actions. That is, too much fuel and EGT’s go up and things get melty. You don’t tune for flat road with no load. You tune for big long hills in 8th with your target weight on the back. If you add a bucket load of fuel in the off boost area whilst it might pull really well on flat ground when you are lugging in sand or you fall off boost going up a hill and you are going to end up with a ton of fuel heating things up right where you don’t want to be doing that. Again things you don’t want melted will get melted. So you tread a fine line and tune it for the heavy load area and keep it nice civil. I don’t see the point in rolling coal, a small puff of light brown and you’re golden or golden brown if you will. I have my EGT probe in the exhaust manifold pre turbo. That’s about as close to the action as you can get and its what is really going on. As it happens Porsche did the same thing. If any numpty says something to you like “but what about if the EGT prob fails and it goes through the turbo herr derr” you should look at them with distain, question their knowledge and what they are trying to sell you. I’ve been doing stuff with turbos for over 25yrs on all kinds of things and I’ve never seen or heard of it happening. I have however seen plenty of melted pistons. It was ok though as on those engines the post turbo EGT probe let the owner know it was too hot when melted stuff came past the probe heating things up. EGT not TGT.

Anyway once the covers off the back of the pump it’s pretty simple undo a 10mm lock nut holding the adjuster in place then turn the screw in for more fuel and out for less fuel. You don’t need to make big adjustments anywhere here. In both areas I’ve done a single turn. That’s all it takes. With this done I cleaned the fuel strainer and changed the 2 fuel filters before going on a quick test drive up some big long hills. No weight on the back for this it was simply to check my work and warm up the oil. Everything looked good so I changed the oil and filter then loaded up my ramps for Sunday.  

I’d notified service NSW of my intention of travel and sorted out the QR code paperwork. On Sunday I set off on my 600klm round trip knowing I would be going over the great divide empty one way and loaded with about 2tn on the way back. This is pretty much my target weight when I go hunting etc so perfect for testing my tune out. Stock I’d do the climb up at about 20kph in 3rd  this would be at max 2,800rpm After the turbo, exhaust and intercooler and just a ½ turn on the off boost I was doing it in 5th or 6th at 45 to 50kph again at 2800. Unloaded on the way there I did it in 8th at 88kph at 2500rpm. Loaded on the way back I did it in 7th at 80kph holding it off WOT as it was sitting perfectly on 23psi of boost and a max 620c EGT with 2400rpm on board. I could of grabbed 8th but the engine was just so happy I let it eat.

I’m over the moon with the result. Over the entire trip the only time I had to shift out of 8th was either stopping or once for the hill on the way back. You can roll along through a town with a 50 zone in 8th then simply put your foot down and will pull like a train right back up to 98kph. I tend to sit on about 92/94 with the hand throttle down and enjoy the ride. A quick tap of the exhaust brake pops it back to idle rpm.

Now I've got a winning combo I'll replicate it on the new truck. 

Posi.jpg

• 1 year later...

This feels like the right place to post the conversation I just had with my wife lol.

Me: I'm away the last two weeks in October. 

Wife: What are you doing again?

Me: Flight school remember?

Wife: *Suspicious look* Are you going to come home with an aircraft?  

Me: *Looks down. Kicks dirt* I probably won't bring one here. 

Wife: *Looks*.

Me: The front yard isn't big enough I don't think. 

As it happens I just took this the other day! 

IMG_1948.jpeg

This truck now has all the things. Turbo, intercooler, injectors, pump, exhaust etc right down to the suspension seats. Makes about twice the power of a stock truck. This makes the 8spd gearbox effectively a 3spd box. With a few tons in the back you can start from a stop in 4th flick over to 6th and then 8th by 50kph. 8th carries from 50kph to 104kph but it likes to sit on 94. Hills just are not really a thing anymore. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can confirm it was indeed a cracker of a week and a bit. Cub was so much more enjoyable than a 150 in every way. Got my Solo done on the 3rd day after the wind came up on the 2nd. All tests done by the Thursday and check ride later in the week. I already had 13hrs G.A in the book so the main thing was getting used to the tail dragger and it's performance. 

I'll go back and knock over my RPL/PPL once I get my Nav's done but for now my RPC will do. It has provided me with some solid motivation to get the 911 and Unimog sold to I can build hours in my own aircraft. 

FWIW It took me about 30 minutes to get my head around tail dragger on ground handling. Crosswind landings in 20kt winds are a bit more complex than nose wheel but I can't see myself ever going back by choice. If you're light on your feet and keep them moving on the rudder and brakes its actually quite a lot of fun. Someone I either read or watched said "constant little jabs" and that's pretty much it.   

good to see you finally got a set of those wheels! maybe they'll self-clearance given time? 🤣

apparently i was a few pages back... that cub is cool as, I've been looking at the full carbon ones in the US and adding them to my 'if i win lotto' list