Show us your front engined Pcar beauty, it must be something you own or owned.

TINGY

This is the 968 turbo powered 952?

I would be interested in knowing more about the power plant if it has not already been discussed in another thread. This is of course if it was not divulging propriety information.

There's a build thread here:

http://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/520900-3ltr-twincam-engine-coming-together.html

Any updates on the engine since that then, Bruce/Sean?

Sean's 1986  951 ( 944 Turbo ) was up until about 5 or 6 years ago a normal 2.5L ( 8v ) with some modest Vitesse upgrades & using the normal ( for this century ) 98 premium unleaded 

Then Sean purchased a 2nd hand 3.0L 944S2 engine , dismantled it and only changed two mechanical parts within the engine , Custom designed Wossner pistons & a set of Wossner ( I think ) con-rods , naturally the compression ratio was dropped from the NA compression with the new pistons
No other internal engine mods were done , standard crank , standard sump baffle & standard sump , standard cylinder head , valves & cams , even the valve springs were left standard
No dry sump 

On the outside of the engine }  Custom inlet manifold that Sean had to modify ( Tig weld ) quite a bit to reinforce & extra things needed ( brackets to we welded on etc ) , custom  exhaust system Sean made , but based on a stock system , just a bit bigger , the engine exhaust headers were just a cut & welded up combination of the standard 2.5L & 3.0L headers ( cut & welded together )

Lindsay racing dual port waste gate ( 50% of this unit is standard 951 )

Vitesse stage 5 ( piggy back ) system ( bigger turbo , injectors , different air mass etc etc ) , runs on E85  or 98 premium unleaded 

Standard ignition coil , dist cap & rotor , standard Beru plug leads , even standard  Bosch W7DC plugs ( nothing special at all )

On the track ( E85 )  she runs between 560HP & 600HP , Sean normally keeps her around the 560HP as she is actually quicker ( lot more manageable )

Standard 1986 5 speed manual trans ( 30 year old transmission ) with a lower ratio crown wheel & pinion from a 944S2 , and a excellent 4 plate Motorsport LSD & all new internal bearings with very careful setup to get the exact bearings preloads & backlash etc 
GL5 trans oil & changed after every event & I mean every 

New Lindsay Racing Motorsport drive shafts ( nothing else will cope with it )

Standard Torque Tube , standard engine bell housing & flywheel , KEP pressure plate 

964 Turbo / 928GTS front brakes & for Supersprint days we use Pagid Black pads 

Standard 1986 rear brakes

Motion shocks & Eiback springs ( rear torsion bar delete ), but set up as a road & track compromise as she is primarily a road car & she drives to work 6 days a week

Full interior carpets & full soundproofing for road driving

Full steel panels ( except front lid )

Full glass & standard electric sunroof & 4 speaker stereo system ( road car )

Full climate / A/C system , A/C in this car works fantastic because of the A/C upgrades we do to these ( like Parallel flow condenser etc etc )

From memory this engine has been left untouched for the last 5 or 6 years , except for periodic head gasket replacement as a matter of maintenance 

Engine oil ( this is the engine stays together so well over the years on the track ) , even on the standard Glycol con-rod bearings , it must be a High Oil Film Strength engine oil & a Min Viscosity of 25W-60 & lots of ZDDP 

Oil temp must be monitored & must not exceed ( in the sump ) 120 deg cel , 110 is fine 

Engine & transmission oil to be changed after each event ( ignore this at you're peril )

I drove Sean's 951 to work a few months ago for a few days when he was on Holidays & I was just amazed at the amount of Torque this engine has over a 2.5L , its quite fantastic & very smooth and very user friendly on the road , but then again this car is primarily a road car 1st & a fun track car 2nd , it just happens that Sean knows how to drive & the combination is quite sensational when competing at Supersprint or Motorkhana events 

After working for 40 years on Porsche cars I have never driven a more exciting Porsche 

Regards

Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Edited by Buchanan Automotive
add content

Sean's 1986  951 ( 944 Turbo ) was up until about 5 or 6 years ago a normal 2.5L ( 8v ) with some modest Vitesse upgrades & using the normal ( for this century ) 98 premium unleaded

Looks like you and Sean have managed a perfect balance on the infamous cost-reliability-performance triangle. Normally people say you can only pick two...but after 6 years of continued success you guys have got all three. And with a 30 year old car running two to three times it's original power no less. Very impressive, your build is what I'm aspiring too, hopefully I can have a nice 3Ltr turbo like that one day too. 

You did not buy the black one then Jason?

That white UK one still out there.....

Hi Adam,

No to purchasing Black Beauty- don't want a black car no matter how good it is or how good they look- too hot & too hard to keep clean for me.  The Buchanans service history sorely tempted me though I must say.

Am in Mackay until Sunday so am not able to fly down for a look at the white one yet.  Spoke to the owner & said that I would make contact when I get back to Bris & can arrange a flight down.  Problem I have now though is I have just started a new house build 2 weeks ago & money is a little tight given the banks ridiculous lending rules at the moment.  Came up 40k short on what the bank was prepared to lend & as such my wife is eyeing my 'Porsche cash stash' & seeing it converted to soft furnishings & paved outdoor areas.

This is truly proving to be a frustrating exercise.  I don't think it is too much to ask to come across a well cared for, reliable 928 in outstanding condition that someone wants to pass along for around 10k is it? (insert smiley face here).  haha.

cheers,

JE

Hi Adam,

No to purchasing Black Beauty- don't want a black car no matter how good it is or how good they look- too hot & too hard to keep clean for me.  The Buchanans service history sorely tempted me though I must say.

Am in Mackay until Sunday so am not able to fly down for a look at the white one yet.  Spoke to the owner & said that I would make contact when I get back to Bris & can arrange a flight down.  Problem I have now though is I have just started a new house build 2 weeks ago & money is a little tight given the banks ridiculous lending rules at the moment.  Came up 40k short on what the bank was prepared to lend & as such my wife is eyeing my 'Porsche cash stash' & seeing it converted to soft furnishings & paved outdoor areas.

This is truly proving to be a frustrating exercise.  I don't think it is too much to ask to come across a well cared for, reliable 928 in outstanding condition that someone wants to pass along for around 10k is it? (insert smiley face here).  haha.

cheers,

JE

Been there, done that!

We started building mid last year, I had my eye on my now 928 from about November last year right in the middle of our build.... a bit of patience and time saw me land it in March this year. Thankfully financially with the house we were looking ok, so was just a matter of time for my Porsche.....

Are you hands on/ want to do a little/ lot of maintenance yourself? Just a thought, there are a few out there that need some love :)

This one has sat for a while, most likely due to the lack of info/ pics http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adelaide-cbd/cars-vans-utes/porsche-928s4-t-bar-auto-coupe-1989-5-lt-v8/1126375743 well it's not black, just damn close :P

or this one http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brompton/cars-vans-utes/1987-porsche-928-s4-silver-4-speed-automatic-coupe/1126028073 may be able to haggle a bit.....

Something will come along.....

Looks like you and Sean have managed a perfect balance on the infamous cost-reliability-performance triangle. Normally people say you can only pick two...but after 6 years of continued success you guys have got all three. And with a 30 year old car running two to three times it's original power no less. Very impressive, your build is what I'm aspiring too, hopefully I can have a nice 3Ltr tuvrbo like that one day too. 

I have an 1986 2.5 8v would love to, in the coming years make a few upgrades that will give the car a little more Fun Factor, May have to have a talk to the team at Buchanan Automotive to work out a plan.  

thank you Bruce for the details.

a fine piece of work!

was there much adjustments in remapping due to the larger displacement?

Brian

Hi Brian , yes many hours of tuning for both maps ( E85 map ) & ( 98 premium unleaded map ) having a permanent wide-band sensor installed  means we can do the bulk of the tuning on the road ( two people & one with a lap top ) & the critical( finishing off ) tuning at the end on the dyno 

The difference in outright performance with the E85 (set up correctly) gives around an extra 80-100 HP extra for the 16V 3.0L engine , thats because of the much lower knock count & extra ignition advice we can run , under boost the E85 injects far more ( fuel ) quantity 

Regards

Bruce Buchanan

Buchanan Automotive

• 1 month later...

2016%20rear%20view_zpstcrj2bba.pngAPR%2016-1_zpst8gxoa6t.jpg

85/1 944. I love this car. I've had it for 10 years and have replaced most mechanicals over time with new parts. Just about to do the rear wheel bearings. She's a keeper. D9 968 rear bumper conversion. A lot of work because the panel was a POS despite the cost and shipping from Switzerland but worth it in the end. Genuine turbo nose conversion.

Since this pic i have added 968 door handles. I have also designed a custom interior as it had the early square dash and it was in poor shape. Pics soon.

Thanks! I like to think that what Porsche would have done with hindsight. The engine is still stock apart from a head rebuild and an aluminium radiator. I am looking for an 86 DME to put my Wilk chip in to get rid of the infamous low rpm flat spot. Other than that I have focussed more on removing excess weight rather than increasing power although I have toyed with the idea of a SFR supercharger....

I am still working through the last bits of tidying everything up.

I would love to come to C&C. When/where is it? I live in the Bulimba area.

Next Brissie one is on 7th January, Turbo Drive Coorparoo, these days from about first light to 0900.  When too many interesting cars is barely enough...

16?ms=520,305&pp=-27.492340,153.049350;1

Thanks! I like to think that what Porsche would have done with hindsight. The engine is still stock apart from a head rebuild and an aluminium radiator. I am looking for an 86 DME to put my Wilk chip in to get rid of the infamous low rpm flat spot. Other than that I have focussed more on removing excess weight rather than increasing power although I have toyed with the idea of a SFR supercharger....

I am still working through the last bits of tidying everything up.

I would love to come to C&C. When/where is it? I live in the Bulimba area.

It's a bit of a shame to still have the NA 2.5 in such a schmick looking 944.  This would be a great upgrade for your car (no affilliation), with a Turbo conversion later...

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bassendean/engine-engine-parts-transmission/porsche-944-s2-running-gear-price-dropped/1126220469

Edited by Rob
insert pic

This would be a great upgrade for your car (no affilliation), with a Turbo conversion later...

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bassendean/engine-engine-parts-transmission/porsche-944-s2-running-gear-price-dropped/1126220469

A bit off-topic, but what is the story with the torque tube in that first pic? It doesn't look right in the blackened middle section... damaged?

A bit off-topic, but what is the story with the torque tube in that first pic? It doesn't look right in the blackened middle section... damaged?

Pic's not that great - why don't you ask him about it?

Staying off-topic, is your S2 the red one we've seen at C&C lately?

There's a thick foamy rubber insulator that sits around the shifter...maybe it protected that area of the torque tube from rust.

Cars & Coffee Gold Coast is on 17/12/16 at 8am. It'll be nice to see your 944 in person. I'll bring mine down too if you're coming.

Hey Sohan,

How big is the GC C&C?  How many cars?  The Brisbane/ turbo drive event is an absolute extravaganza.  I did go up to the Sunshine Coast recently & there were about 6 cars.  Was a bit disappointing but got to catch up with a PFA'er so worth the trip.