996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Needs an 1" drop in ride height I think

I think it looks awesome the way it is! And for street driving wouldn't drop it at all, just becomes a pain anytime you need to drive up a steep driveway.

It may be deceiving but the rear tyres look to come out past the guards, so you would need to solve that too....

14 minutes ago, crsedge said:

Looks great Peter, well done! I can't make out from the photos if it is a black or grey interior?

Black, I wouldn't have bought it if it was grey 🙂

10 minutes ago, AndrewM said:

I think it looks awesome the way it is! And for street driving wouldn't drop it at all, just becomes a pain anytime you need to drive up a steep driveway.

It may be deceiving but the rear tyres look to come out past the guards, so you would need to solve that too....

Having come out of a very lowered 6.1 GT3 I very much know about driveways and speedhumps!!  I'll be looking for something about M0030 option height.  Yeah, the 12mm spacers do put the wheels right out there, although Troubleshooter said he ran 295/30s with 12mm spaces and M0030 and no scraping.  I'm thinking 6mm or 8mm might be better??

11 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Joe, observations so far are that the ride is much more compliant, as expected, but of course the standard car hasn't got the raw power of the GT3, again as expected.  However, it certainly isn't anemic in that area, and has more than sufficient power for day to day highway cruising.  Still need to try out some of my favourite roads, but very happy so far.  I will investigate a few of the easy tricks to make it breathe better - K&N airfilter etc, 

You saw the speed they could carry a couple of years ago on Elephant Pass ;) . On the track the GT3 will make a difference, but on a road like that, you are not really going to go any faster in a GT3, so I think you will be more than happy enough :D 

2 hours ago, MFX said:

You saw the speed they could carry a couple of years ago on Elephant Pass ;) . On the track the GT3 will make a difference, but on a road like that, you are not really going to go any faster in a GT3, so I think you will be more than happy enough :D 

Being an old codger I probably won't press as hard as you Jeff, so yes, I think I will be happy enough 🙂 

7 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Being an old codger I probably won't press as hard as you Jeff, so yes, I think I will be happy enough 🙂 

Haha. All I am saying is that is will be plenty quick enough on the amazing roads around you, and you will have plenty of fun with it. Looks great mate enjoy :D 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Mttel said:

Cheap entry point, might need to budget a bit for a tidy up.

1998 Porsche Carrera 911 (996) 3.4l 5sp Auto

He tells me it has some dings in the front that might come out with pdr, a small crack in the front bar, crack in the driver's seat bolster and worn steering wheel.

Comes with similar style factory wheels and is alleged to be fitted with a "porsche cup gt3 exhaust worth 15k"

Hasn't answered the question about the IMS

If anyone wants a copy of the Ppsr I can send you a copy. It came up clean.

I am looking for a nice one but don't have an enormous budget.. this is probably too much of a project for me these days. And I think I want a manual. Should have bought Jeff's!

26 minutes ago, SilverRA23 said:

He tells me it has some dings in the front that might come out with pdr, a small crack in the front bar, crack in the driver's seat bolster and worn steering wheel.

Comes with similar style factory wheels and is alleged to be fitted with a "porsche cup gt3 exhaust worth 15k"

Hasn't answered the question about the IMS

If anyone wants a copy of the Ppsr I can send you a copy. It came up clean.

I am looking for a nice one but don't have an enormous budget.. this is probably too much of a project for me these days. And I think I want a manual. Should have bought Jeff's!

Plenty of $ room at that price to do the IMS if you are convinced you need to do it.  I missed out on Jeff's too due to timing, but am happy with the manual I picked up for similar money which had a replacement Porsche supplied engine.  Manual is nice, much more engaging than the 6.2 Tip I had a little while ago before the GT3

9 hours ago, Mttel said:

Cheap entry point, might need to budget a bit for a tidy up.

1998 Porsche Carrera 911 (996) 3.4l 5sp Auto

At that price even if it could be reduced slightly its surely a good starting point it definitely leaves money to do the ims and the other small jobs 

22 hours ago, LeeM said:

I thought the IMS wasn't a problem with the 98 model? 

Anyway, with current prices, it's a 'cheap' entry into a 996

It can still be a problem, but I wouldn't stress too much and just do it when you do the clutch. Although no clutch in a tip, and tips have the extra pain that you have to remove the whole engine as well as the gearbox to change it . Mid-2000 on are the ones to get done ASAP.

On 10/07/2022 at 14:01, LeeM said:

I thought the IMS wasn't a problem with the 98 model? 

Anyway, with current prices, it's a 'cheap' entry into a 996

Yes lee the double row in the 98 was a much lower failure rate. IMHO age has now increased the failure rate. As Jeff suggests I did mine when the clutch went at 125k earlier this year and it was starting to spuw the grease and would have failed at some point. The chain tensioners have now also become an age issue and 2 of the 3 in mine were cactus. I’m told that when the chain tensioners start to go this puts pressure on the ims as well. They have seen failures in some cars not long after the ims has been replaced. 
so a 22 yo car that has the original ims it’s definitely worth monitoring closely.

12 hours ago, Tips said:

Yes lee the double row in the 98 was a much lower failure rate. IMHO age has now increased the failure rate. As Jeff suggests I did mine when the clutch went at 125k earlier this year and it was starting to spuw the grease and would have failed at some point. The chain tensioners have now also become an age issue and 2 of the 3 in mine were cactus. I’m told that when the chain tensioners start to go this puts pressure on the ims as well. They have seen failures in some cars not long after the ims has been replaced. 
so a 22 yo car that has the original ims it’s definitely worth monitoring closely.

It has not been previously recommended, but maybe you are on the money. As you need to remove the tensioners to do the IMS anyway, you may as well replace them at the same time as I believe they are relatively inexpensive.  

44 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

Nice looking car, and I'd say realistically priced....

7 hours ago, Fishcop said:

Not C2 tips though. They’re holding strong at $100k+ …right guys… yeah? 😅

On 01/05/2022 at 18:42, Fishcop said:

After 6 weeks languishing, this car is now creeping down into market value range - currently $75k.  Considering the hard back sportseats and console are colour coded in that cool exterior colour, I find this C4 a bit more appealing than the current crop of standard auto C2 996s.  We all know to factor in the bearing (which the ad makes no reference to).  The car is in my home town (though I've never seen it), but I'm happy to take a squiz if any members here are tempted... I've zero affiliation.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/port-macquarie/cars-vans-utes/1999-porsche-911-carrera-4-automatic-coupe/1290494828

Creeping into affordability...?  Been flipped to another dealer.  Knock it down another $3-5k from the current $60k asking and I think there's a nice car here - yep UK car/auto/170kms/hilux grey interior - but nice colour, coded console and rare sport seats liven it up.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/caringbah/cars-vans-utes/1999-porsche-911-996-carrera-4-awd-blue-5-speed-sports-automatic-coupe/1298068698

On 17/07/2022 at 12:12, Fishcop said:

Creeping into affordability...?  Been flipped to another dealer.  Knock it down another $3-5k from the current $60k asking and I think there's a nice car here - yep UK car/auto/170kms/hilux grey interior - but nice colour, coded console and rare sport seats liven it up.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/caringbah/cars-vans-utes/1999-porsche-911-996-carrera-4-awd-blue-5-speed-sports-automatic-coupe/1298068698

Nice colour that! 

That is pretty close to me if anyone wants it looked at.