996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

1 hour ago, MFX said:

I worry about cars with too few kms just as much. These cars (and all cars really) work better when they are driven, and a car with say 20k kms that is over 20 years old has potentially just as many problems as a 250k km car. 

IMHO, with old cars, kms become less and less relevant. Buy on overall condition ;)

K's are a rough guide, but only 1 piece of the puzzle. 

You cant expect 20+ year old cars to have warranty period K's still on them, proper regular maintenance and sympathetic usage are more important.

4 hours ago, Trimar666 said:

Hi All,

Any forum members looking at moving on their Targa by chance? PM me if you are.

Thanks. 

Porschaden have got one in but it’s pretty expensive maybe make sure you are sitting if you take a look online 😆

38 minutes ago, Joz said:

^^ Not sure how long it can keep going , Only after they’ve sold they seem cheap.

I bought my first Porsche in 2014. It was an air-cooled 911.

This question has been asked from as far back as then and relates to all models of Porsche.

Many a "bargain" has been missed due to people trying to speculate about the market ... such as "they are too expensive now .. or don't buy yet, wait till they drop". Some of them have been waiting since 2014 ...

34 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

"Speculative Porsche Buyers" are mostly why I lost my passion for the early cars... As soon as money makers get involved in anything, it gets ruined.  Not just because it drives values insanely up, but because the 'crowd' becomes infused with pests.

I just bought an MX5, at least I got in before they've gone completely stupid.  I can probably afford a Boxster - maybe.

3 minutes ago, Jason E said:

I just bought an MX5, at least I got in before they've gone completely stupid.  I can probably afford a Boxster - maybe.

There's a few early manual Boxsters floating about on the market sub $20k, but needing love.  If I had extra space, I'd maybe consider one as a hotrod project.  The MX5 makes sense - at least keeping one on the road won't kill you financially.

51 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

There's a few early manual Boxsters floating about on the market sub $20k, but needing love.  If I had extra space, I'd maybe consider one as a hotrod project.  The MX5 makes sense - at least keeping one on the road won't kill you financially.

If you could find a well loved 986 with good history & the IMS done sub 30k they'd make sense.  I picked up a 1 owner, 2013 car with 129ks & complete service history for 18k.  Hard to beat for cheap sports motoring. 

On 15/04/2022 at 22:00, Dreamr said:

I bought my first Porsche in 2014. It was an air-cooled 911.

This question has been asked from as far back as then and relates to all models of Porsche.

Many a "bargain" has been missed due to people trying to speculate about the market ... such as "they are too expensive now .. or don't buy yet, wait till they drop". Some of them have been waiting since 2014 ...

This was the first thing I soaked up from this forum.  If you want one, buy it and cry once.  Then just get into the ownership aspect of it and stop obsessing with values.  I bought mine in 2014 as well.  After the first year of worrying about impending costs I learnt to just relax and enjoy.  Plenty of other ways you can suddenly cop a $20k+ Expense , and they all suck. So whether that’s from major engine work or a crash in values in the end you work it out.   

Best to just dive in and buy the best car in the budget and then see if you like the scene.  

2 hours ago, Jason E said:

If you could find a well loved 986 with good history & the IMS done sub 30k they'd make sense.  I picked up a 1 owner, 2013 car with 129ks & complete service history for 18k.  Hard to beat for cheap sports motoring. 

I had a 6spd NB new (almost 20 years ago) and absolutely loved it. They’re a blast to drive on a twisty road. I’d own one again in a heartbeat.

47 minutes ago, Sherpa said:

I had a 6spd NB new (almost 20 years ago) and absolutely loved it. They’re a blast to drive on a twisty road. I’d own one again in a heartbeat.

Agreed.  I had a 2007 series 1 NC that I sold to by my 944S2.  It was great.  I'm looking fwd to picking up the new one in 13 days.

15 minutes ago, MFX said:

Still, that is HUGE money for a tip, cab with a notoriously leaky hard top...

If you must have a Targa, the pick is the 997 C4S Targa of which I understand only 7 were delivered here, and only 3 in manual.  Same "leaky hardtop" I imagine, but such a rare car is unlikely to be getting wet these days ;)

54 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

If you must have a Targa, the pick is the 997 C4S Targa of which I understand only 7 were delivered here, and only 3 in manual.  Same "leaky hardtop" I imagine, but such a rare car is unlikely to be getting wet these days ;)

I saw a blue one in Flinders today!