996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

Since this is the only one that has sold recently for 59K doesn't that suggest anything over that price is ambitious?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1999-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual/SSE-AD-12695416

Really, a Targa for 115k

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-996-manual-my03/SSE-AD-12720353/?Cr=2

128k for this? it's not Jesus' sandal, it's a 996 Carrera 2 FFS

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2004-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual-my04/SSE-AD-12500186/?Cr=4

Covid pricing is over, they are only 50k plus cars

Just now, Shedpest said:

Since this is the only one that has sold recently for 59K doesn't that suggest anything over that price is ambitious?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1999-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual/SSE-AD-12695416

Really, a Targa for 115k

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-996-manual-my03/SSE-AD-12720353/?Cr=2

128k for this? it's not Jesus' sandal, it's a 996 Carrera 2 FFS

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2004-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual-my04/SSE-AD-12500186/?Cr=4

You can't really compare Series 1 with Series 2 pricing though. A lot changed between 1 to 2.

1 hour ago, Shedpest said:

Is it though? You still can’t get a new car in under 6 months. And even then, it’ll probably come with an IOU on tech add-ons.

Granted, some of these prices are outrageous, but I think Covid pricing will remain a factor for a while yet.

Also, what you’re not factoring in is the sudden fondness (or forgiveness of headlight design) the 996 has experienced over the past couple of years. That’s really really where the price growth has come from IMO.

8 minutes ago, Sherpa said:

Is it though? You still can’t get a new car in under 6 months. And even then, it’ll probably come with an IOU on tech add-ons.

Granted, some of these prices are outrageous, but I think Covid pricing will remain a factor for a while yet.

Also, what you’re not factoring in is the sudden fondness (or forgiveness of headlight design) the 996 has experienced over the past couple of years. That’s really really where the price growth has come from IMO.

Agree.

Collectable/weekend car prices are like a ratchet, they only go in one direction. 

Most owners never need to fire sale their cars, and nobody likes selling at a loss. 

So buyers need to meet the market.

Also to your point re 996, absolutely that has been a factor, they're long been the most "affordable" 911 relative to the entire 911 model range, and their recent popularity has been as a result of that.

It's not about 996 alone.. but all other 911s have gone up. I remember when manual 996 was still 40-50k, you could get 997 for 70-80k. I remember there were some odd UK import 997 asking 60k. Now the 997 is past 100k, 997.2 further more. 

For other Porsche, Boxster and Cayman have increased in value too. You won't be able to find good manual Cayman for under 50k nowadays even the base 2.7.

For the 996 to get down to 50k.. you probably need all the other 911 to come down realistically.

But I don't know on the other hand, having thought about it, maybe the early sign of the market cooling down is the 996 to go down first followed by others.. 

6 hours ago, Shedpest said:

I would also suggest that a car that sells in a matter of minutes is possibly underpriced and bargain hunters jump. Don't know if it tells where the market is..

5 minutes ago, tomo said:

It's a wonder the 996 sells at all ,With the truck Loads of shit that as been dumped on them since they replaced the 993 , But once you have had a drive they really are a great drivers car.

They definitely still have the 'raw' DNA of an air cooled I reckon, especially the first model 996 with cable throttle 👍

1 hour ago, MFX said:

I would also suggest that a car that sells in a matter of minutes is possibly underpriced and bargain hunters jump

...then flip it 😁

I also think the whole '3 pedal' mystique is a factor now too.  We really are the last generation likely to drive manuals (let alone a ICE) so a car with a stick shift is now de rigueur.  My 13 year old regularly references to his online gaming mates mates that "my dad can drive a manual" like it's an interesting topic amongst prepubescent car enthusiasts :D

I do wonder what the overall ratio of autos to manuals were delivered in the 996 range?  You could be believe a 20:1 ratio just going off CarSales (though I suspect it's probably around 5:1).

15 hours ago, Fishcop said:

We really are the last generation likely to drive manuals (let alone a ICE) so a car with a stick shift is now de rigueur.  My 13 year old regularly references to his online gaming mates mates that "my dad can drive a manual" like it's an interesting topic amongst prepubescent car enthusiasts :D

Damn, that makes me feel old, yet sad at the same time. 

21 hours ago, Fishcop said:

I also think the whole '3 pedal' mystique is a factor now too.  We really are the last generation likely to drive manuals (let alone a ICE) so a car with a stick shift is now de rigueur.  My 13 year old regularly references to his online gaming mates mates that "my dad can drive a manual" like it's an interesting topic amongst prepubescent car enthusiasts :D

I do wonder what the overall ratio of autos to manuals were delivered in the 996 range?  You could be believe a 20:1 ratio just going off CarSales (though I suspect it's probably around 5:1).

Well if you base it on porsche's number one seller, the macan, it's 100:0 auto to manual. 

21 hours ago, Fishcop said:

5 hours ago, tomo said:

I am old :) and that makes me sad 😔 :)

Everyone in this thread carrying on that “driving a manual car is the only proof of driver skill” shows this whole forum is full of old men 😅👴🏼

But I'm an old man who knows he can’t be arsed rowing gears on a daily in inner city traffic anymore 😂

26 minutes ago, Sherpa said:

Everyone in this thread carrying on that “driving a manual car is the only proof of driver skill” shows this whole forum is full of old men 😅👴🏼

But I'm an old man who knows he can’t be arsed rowing gears on a daily in inner city traffic anymore 😂

I think making the younger generation drive manuals is great for their own safety. If they are driving a manual means they have to pay attention to what they are doing and don't have hands free to use their phone while driving. Manuals require much more concentration and responding to the car as you go. Automatics promote mindless driving and 99% of accidents I go to in my day job are caused by morons not paying attention (and are basically 100% automatics ;) ).

31 minutes ago, MFX said:

99% of accidents I go to in my day job are caused by morons not paying attention (and are basically 100% automatics ;) ).

I don’t doubt the first part. It’s why I gave up riding motorcycles.

But I feel like the second part is correlation not causation. There’s simply more automatics on the road now.

Anyway, I’m not hear to defend automatic gearboxes or the unstoppable improvements in vehicles technology. Drive what makes you happy!

I was just having a laugh about being grumpy old men complaining about “the youth” 😁

10 hours ago, Sherpa said:

I don’t doubt the first part. It’s why I gave up riding motorcycles.

But I feel like the second part is correlation not causation. There’s simply more automatics on the road now.

Anyway, I’m not hear to defend automatic gearboxes or the unstoppable improvements in vehicles technology. Drive what makes you happy!

I was just having a laugh about being grumpy old men complaining about “the youth” 😁

Haha. I threw in the auto part, which is true, but you are spot on. Manuals are like hens teeth on the roads these days.